Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many label skaters you got?

So? How many?

I have a few here and there, where the needle gets to the end of the groove and then carries on across the label producing horrendous noise, often causing me to start shouting tourettes style abuse at the top of my voice as I rush to the record player to get the needle off.

Surely it's not *that* difficult to press a record so this doesn't happen. I think the last one was a Harmonia Mundi classical LP, where you'd think they'd take more care.

Noticed any tell-tale signs or labels that are worse than others?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I would go as far as to say that this kind of label skater is a defective pressing. It can't be that difficult to cut a record to avoid that, surely. I often wish I had a turntable that auto lifts the stylus off instead of always having to race to the player just in case. Poor usability?

Comment

I used to do the graphics for this US label many years ago and the guy who ran the label had this one cut so that it intentionally skated at the end of one of the tracks. https://www.discogs.com/Blimp-Heaven-EP/release/236688
      'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

Never had this experience, but I guess that can't happen when you have auto-return. My D.R.I. "Dirty rotten EP" often doesn't even play quite until the end, because the run-out is so short.
        Find yourself a rainbow, a song a day and you won't grow old.

Comment

Got loads of these, mostly Reggae with misaligned labels which are pasted over the grooves.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Even worse, the seventies 45s that have a border of raised lines around the label. know what I mean?
            A skate on these means needle torture.
            ------------------------------------------------------
            "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Doing it on purpose seems like a shitty thing to do, but if that's your bag then fine. Not being able to prevent it is a whole 'nother kettle.

Reggae labels are a law unto themselves. Some of the outrageous mistakes I've seen have been unbelievable. Completely off-centre, far too large, spindle whole etc.

I have a few of those raised serrated border ones. Horrendous. Capital offence.

I wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult to make sure it didn't happen, but I know very little about cutting vinyl.

Comment

I fitted one of those Q-Up devices to my deck as I was so often out of the room grilling some cheese or summat when a record finished- that, or the 'phone would ring out in the hall- that, or the cat would be crazing for food- that, or the doorbell would go- that, or I would be trying to navigate my way around a too full room without falling flat on my arse. There was always some reason why I wasn't right there at the end. What happens now is I'm outside the room when an LP finishes and then I forget it's lifted because I haven't had to go in to do it. Later on I wander into the room to see the platter and record still spinning with the arm suspended above it.

Comment

Never heard of Q-Up but I'm not surprised Pro-Ject developed it given how their turntables work. I must look into this further. The website is low on detail:
                  https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/q-up/
                  Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                    Never heard of Q-Up but I'm not surprised Pro-Ject developed it given how their turntables work. I must look into this further. The website is low on detail:
                    https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/q-up/
                    It's too expensive for what it is but worth it all the same for hassle free listening. It's just plastic but I've had one for a couple of years and I've had no problem- you can set it in all sorts of ways depending on your T/T.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

It's too expensive for what it is but worth it all the same for hassle free listening. It's just plastic but I've had one for a couple of years and I've had no problem- you can set it in all sorts of ways depending on your T/T.
                      If it prevents, stylus label orgies, I'd say it's worth it. I'm probably going to buy one. Still haven't seen how it works. Must be a clever idea.

Comment

More info here:
                        https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinf...n%20any%20way.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Still haven't seen how it works. Must be a clever idea.
                          All that happens is when your arm goes across the runout groove it hits a lever on the back of the q-up which releases a spring and the q-up arm pops up underneath the turntables tonearm and lifts it clear of the record, where it stays until you remove it and reset the q-up- which just requires you to press the lifting arm down again. Imagine a mouse-trap for a tonearm. It will stick on any deck.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

All that happens is when your arm goes across the runout groove it hits a lever on the back of the q-up which releases a spring and the q-up arm pops up underneath the turntables tonearm and lifts it clear of the record, where it stays until you remove it and reset the q-up- which just requires you to press the lifting arm down again. Imagine a mouse-trap for a tonearm. It will stick on any deck.
                            Nice. Thanks Shere Khan. Had another skater the other day. A copy of Chet Baker Sings, I believe. The cause of some shouty psycho behaviour. I must buy a Q-Up for the sanity of my Mrs.

Comment

Working...
                            X