Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogs Money Laundering?

Hi All

Having reviewed the 'most expensive on Discogs' lists over the last few months, I have come to the conclusion that the only explanation behind the ridiculous prices achieved by some listings is money laundering.

Here are the two biggest contenders:

June = Marvin Gaye - What's Going On LP £2,390

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1559040?ev=rb

April = Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill LP £1,155

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3087067?ev=rb

OK, so they were both sealed, but those price are patently ludicrous for titles that sold millions of copies.

Has anyone got another interpretation for this?
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Staggering prices but laundering ? paying 350 quid commission to launder 3 and a half grand surely not

Comment

Was the buyer the same? I've often wondered about the ability to transport a large amount of money in the form of a single LP.

If it ain't money laundering, what could be the explanation.

To some buyers, having a combination of too much money and the need to have unopened minty copies could lead to this.
      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
        Marvin Gaye - What's Going On LP £2,390

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1559040?ev=rb
        340 quid would buy you a mint media copy in a vg+ sleeve. That's a big jump, but probably peanuts to some.

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

If you were money laundering, would you actually pay the comission fees or would you just keep creating new accounts?
          If only that Ozark family had thought of doing it this way.

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Mint (M) Mint (M) £2,400.00 / $3,000.00
            Comments: Tamla TS310, 1971, stereo, gatefold, sealed!, hype sticker!, no cutouts!, no barcode---WOW!
            Mint (M) Near Mint (NM or M-) £1,160.00 / $1,450.00
            Comments: ABCX 758 US OG LP || THICK VTG GATEFOLD || NO BARCODE || Top copy! Unplayed, STILL SEALED (disc assumed mint) in Original Manufacturer Shrinkwrap. Not a cutout, club, or promo. [label variant unknown as still sealed]
            There's only two answers, isn't there ...
            • something's not as it seems
            • someone has more money than sense
            I kind of think it's the latter. It does explain the insane prices for 'condition rare' mainstream records you sometimes see listed.

Does this also happen on eBay? That would confirm it.
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Drunk, maybe?

Comment

Millionaire collectors who will pay well over the odds for sealed or stone mint titles I can kind of understand. I remember being told that the inflation busting sums being paid for rare groove titles at the time was in a small part due to some collectors being cash rich as they were drug dealers. Whether that was true or not I don't know.

What I find strange is what led the dealers in question to set the prices in the first place. I know Discogs is the home of speculative sky high pricing, but those two really took the biscuit.
                it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

. . . well, I don't know whether it's mony laundring. To be honest, I don't believe, that it is. I know many collectors, that are so proud about a high value of a certain album or single in their collection. But as soon as it comes to the point, that somebody is willing to pay the amount, everybody screams and condemned the buyer as weirdos or lunatics or what ever.
                  I sell records on 'Discogs' for some years now, and I sold some high priced items from my personal collection, because I haven't listen to them in 25 or more years. I decided to get rid of them and grant some other collectors the delight to own these gems. What's wrong about it?

The most expesive recording I have sold yet was € 1,240.00. I sold it to a collector in the United States, I never would come to the idea, to name him a criminal or say he's sick or something like that. I think some of you seem to be jealous, because you can't afford to spend these amounts on a single recording. That's why they obviously have to badmouth the buyers. In my humble opinon is this behaviour an evidence of poor respect for others.
                  VintageSelection -an eclectic batch of vinyl recordings

https://www.vintageselection.biz))

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

. . . Does this also happen on eBay? That would confirm it.
                    Of course it does, try to investigate with 'popsike.com' and you'll be surprised . . .

Comment

Sure. I know and use popsike.

We are specifically talking here about high prices for classic records that aren't rare.

The key question is how rare mint condition classic records are.
                      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by B_big! View Post

The most expesive recording I have sold yet was € 1,240.00. I sold it to a collector in the United States, I never would come to the idea, to name him a criminal or say he's sick or something like that. I think some of you seem to be jealous, because you can't afford to spend these amounts on a single recording. That's why they obviously have to badmouth the buyers. In my humble opinon is this behaviour an evidence of poor respect for others.
                        so not getting the topic of the thread

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post

so not getting the topic of the thread
                          . . . the topic of the thread isn't valid . . .

Comment

So, is it more a case of, ‘If I spend £5000 on this £100 record everyone will finally know what a big man I am’?

Comment

Originally posted by B_big! View Post
                              . . . well, I don't know whether it's mony laundring. To be honest, I don't believe, that it is. I know many collectors, that are so proud about a high value of a certain album or single in their collection. But as soon as it comes to the point, that somebody is willing to pay the amount, everybody screams and condemned the buyer as weirdos or lunatics or what ever.
                              I sell records on 'Discogs' for some years now, and I sold some high priced items from my personal collection, because I haven't listen to them in 25 or more years. I decided to get rid of them and grant some other collectors the delight to own these gems. What's wrong about it?

I think you've misconstrued my point. It isn't me badmouthing buyers who pay large amounts of money for records that have an established sales history at that high price. It is my confusion as to why someone would want to pay a high price for a relatively common record that has an established sales history at a much lower price. I understand sealed records command a premium, but surely it can't be that much of a premium?

Comment

Working...
                              X