Offspring (early 70s band) unreleased LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offspring (early 70s band) unreleased LP

Not sure if people are familiar with the early 70s Offspring or not, they released only 1 45 on RCA in 1972 - Windfall/She lives in a big house, a progressive pop charmer, both sides on Youtube to hear. Anyway, I am in touch with the singer/guitarist and they recorded an unreleased LP at the time and it is fantastic, all similar to the 45, progressive pop with flute and just fantastically well written, melodic and inventive. I am trying to hook them up with someone to release it and I want their music to get the best possible treatment. I have contacted Richard Morton Jack at Flashback as I think he does a wonderful job on these sorts of releases, but I was just wondering who else to contact if that doesn't work out - Nigel Lees at Top Sounds perhaps? Anyone else?
    Last edited by RhubarbRhubarb; 06-09-2020, 11:52 PM.

I can't answer your question (sorry, that must be really annoying), but I really hope this gets off the ground - I fell in love with Windfall after their performance on 2Gs And The Pop People a few years back, and really wanted to hear more.

Comment

For those unfamiliar, here are both sides of the 45:

And an acetate only track:

And the clip Lord Thames above mentioned:

Comment

By the way I have a theory that the acetate may have been the recording done for the 2Gs TV show as Vic Finch was a sound man at LWT - maybe they were down to perform two numbers on the show but Deeper Magic was cut?

Comment

Another avenue would be to put up the money themselves for a 3-500 LP run (around 1600 quid for 300), but make sure that they have distribution. That is absolutely essential if you don't want boxes of records under the bed. Set up a Bandcamp page and sell some test pressings or signed copies and keep as much control as possible. It sounds like they already have an able PR man in you RhubarbRhubarb .
          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Record Collector magazine or one of the other prog rock magazines might be interested in doing a story on the band which would generate intrest. A go fund me page to get the initial recording costs could be set up. I'm sure people would put up money to get a limited press copy.I would. 500 copies at £20 each would raise £10,000
            eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

yes, the combination of Bandcamp and a crowdfunding site like KickStarter (although I vaguely remember hearing something bad about them?) would be good, and seems popular these days. I've bought a few things this way.

get the pre-orders in via the crowdfunder, enough to pay for the costs - manufacturing, design, mastering, etc - then later sell the remainder of the physical copies on Bandcamp, plus the download on its own. No risk to buyers (refunded if it doesn't go ahead) and less risk to the band (less money required upfront to get the records pressed)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                By the way I have a theory that the acetate may have been the recording done for the 2Gs TV show as Vic Finch was a sound man at LWT - maybe they were down to perform two numbers on the show but Deeper Magic was cut?
                Aha, you could be right there as Windfall on the acetate is shorter than the 45, as on the TV clip.

Anyway, many thanks to everyone for your thoughts, I'm hoping I've got someone to release this now and I'll be talking with them tomorrow about it. I'll update here with any developments.

Comment

Rise above do rise above relics, might be worth contacting them?
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Guerssen are still active and they do prog reissues
                    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Working...
                    X