Discogs ASP lunacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogs ASP lunacy

Any discogs sellers attempted the new forced asp postage due to be put in place by 1 Oct?

It’s as if Terry Fuckwitt has somehow got a job in Discogs HQ and dreamed up the most ludicrous, unworkable and insane replacement to something that was 100% perfect even by his standards.

There are thousands of anti asp comments in the forums and blogs & elsewhere.
    Everyone is firmly against it almost without exception (Dansauk) who claims to have been using it for 7 years.

I’m going to not update it in protest, hope that everyone else does and They’ll get such a financial boot to the sacks they’ll backtrack.

This is the sort of crap that evilbay pulls, except even the despised GSP is optional.

The conspiracy theory explanation is that the new ASP is a Trojan horse for introducing instant payment, which removes the need for buyer-seller dialogue and avoids the "buyer remorse" phenomenon, which therefore, in theory, means more completed sales. From what I recall of a conversation I once had with a Discogs employee a year or so ago, this has been Discogs goal for some time, based on the feedback they've received on why orders are cancelled.

So Instant Payment (a la Amazon) is the real goal. To facilitate this, they've essentially handed PayPal a monopoly on payment, as no other payment method is supported in the ASP. This is what I object to most, as I fn hate PayPal, and IBAN payment is quite common in some euro zone countries.

And don't forget, PayPal changed their policy on refunds, i.e. they no longer refund their fee in refunded payments, and as online marketplaces are required to offer cancellation/refund options to consumers inside the EU, it's hard not to see this step as PayPal gearing up for a closer link with Discogs, especially as their close relationship with eBay ended.

Aside from all that, the nuts & bolts of the ASP are rubbish. It's remarkable. They do not seem to have spent any time analyzing the relatively minor complexities of the post office systems of most western countries, or entertained the idea that someone might buy an LP and a CD in the same order. Their one-size-fits-all approach was doomed from the start. The avalanche of negative comments on the online forums are a good indication of how unpopular the ASP is (and BTW Discogs deleted hundreds of negative comments about the ASP from their blog!)

I've decided to stop selling on discogs, temporarily. I'll wait to see what the fallout is like after October 1st.

If there's one thing I've learned from 30+ years of internet it's that all websites, no matter how good they are, eventually shot themselves in the foot.

​​​​
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

You’re so right with that last paragraph.
      When something’s working perfectly and successful some prick will implement some crackpot ‘improvement’ that will completely ruin it.
      Having read through most of the forum hate the PayPal only and the keeping of refund fees I find particularly objectionable and that’s with not even entertaining the asp.

They should certainly make displaying sellers postage costs mandatory but everything about this is so moronic I’m struggling to comprehend how it has happened.

I read about the deleted anti asp posts and also read that some ‘troublemakers’ have been barred from the forum.
      This is an absolute disgrace, akin to Chinese style dictatorships, discogs should hang their heads in shame.
      Just pathetic, either they fix this or I’d be happy to see them go to the dogs and I am/was a big fan.
      As a forum poster said ‘Remember Gemm’.

Comment

I mostly only sell a single lp to buyers so found setting up uk/eu/row post charges only took me a few minutes
        looking forward to sellers - buy it pay straight away for it , where else lets the buyer wait 5 days to pay , can you imagine that if you were a shop owner

not so much liking that returns , like ebay , the seller will pay for now they'e teamed up with paypal but I suppose it'll make shitty sellers grade their records better

Comment

For those of us who are not sellers, what exactly is ASP? Sounds rather like a snake.

This must be the reason that I received an email from a seller whom I had previously purchased from, stating that he was closing his Discogs shop and would feature discounts until Oct. 1.
          https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Automatic shipping policy.
            Instead of simply manually adding in the exact cost the geniuses at Discogs have implemented a bewildering asp system which nobody seems to be able to get right, will ensure we overcharge/undercharge customers, especially bigger overseas orders.
            As for large courier lots, registered/insured options who knows, therefore ‘fixing’ a non existent problem and making it a nightmare.

That is the reason for the seller shutdown, he is doing the right thing as am I through October and watching the mayhem unfold.

Comment

^ Thanks for the info. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems to be a lost concept these days.
              https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

What they should have done is just make sure all sellers have the ASP set up for 1xLP, 1xCD, 1x7", etc
                That would solve almost all the issues with new customers just wanting to buy a single item and pay immediately.
                I've had that set up for a year or two offering untracked if under £30 and with tracking for over £8 (so in between people would get a choice) for small orders (1-3 LPs etc) and it worked perfectly.

The problem now is items won't be available to customers in a country unless you have a "complete" policy, which means any number of items, any formats, etc, which is ridiculous.

I need to do the rest, but I've got the UK part "complete" and working now, if it helps anyone I will share in a few days once I've worked out the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                  I mostly only sell a single lp to buyers so found setting up uk/eu/row post charges only took me a few minutes
                  looking forward to sellers - buy it pay straight away for it , where else lets the buyer wait 5 days to pay , can you imagine that if you were a shop owner

not so much liking that returns , like ebay , the seller will pay for now they'e teamed up with paypal but I suppose it'll make shitty sellers grade their records better
                  I see your point Reza , but for some bulk sellers ( Philidelphiarecords for instance) Trawling through their massive stock means committing to buy then adding additional on. I think that is the appeal of Discogs. With that kind of freedom, I have found I certainly buy more from sellers, and that is surely better than having to fork out for single postage every time and kicking yourself that there were a few other bits that would have been nice to add to an order
                  sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                    if it helps anyone I will share in a few days once I've worked out the rest.
                    I don't sell much but I'm sure I could use any assistance because I had a quick look at this business then looked away and pretended I'd never seen it. I've been adding my records to my collection lately so if I drop dead Mrs SK will have an idea what I've got and how to offload it.

Seems a stupid idea to me. Like I say, I don't sell much but I buy plenty and I can't say it's ever been problematic for me as a seller or a buyer. I think we are all capable of scrolling down to see what the postage costs are. Failing that I've found "what are your postage costs" often produces a reply.
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Nizbit View Post
                      You’re so right with that last paragraph.
                      When something’s working perfectly and successful some prick will implement some crackpot ‘improvement’ that will completely ruin it.
                      Having read through most of the forum hate the PayPal only and the keeping of refund fees I find particularly objectionable and that’s with not even entertaining the asp.

They should certainly make displaying sellers postage costs mandatory but everything about this is so moronic I’m struggling to comprehend how it has happened.

I read about the deleted anti asp posts and also read that some ‘troublemakers’ have been barred from the forum.
                      This is an absolute disgrace, akin to Chinese style dictatorships, discogs should hang their heads in shame.
                      Just pathetic, either they fix this or I’d be happy to see them go to the dogs and I am/was a big fan.
                      As a forum poster said ‘Remember Gemm’.
                      I remember GEMM. My first online record purchase was from them back in 2000. Seems like an eternity ago.

Comment

I'm mainly a buyer on Discogs and it does worry me that a lot of dependable and reliable sellers are going to pull their collections of the site.
                        The Downstairs Lounge
                        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about private collections disappearing from Discogs. The database itself is still a fantastic resource. I will continue to use it after October 1st to catalogue my records ... though that's not to say it's not plagued with its own form of lunacy, sometimes, especially these days with large numbers of people 'working from home' leading to far too many nitpicking morons policing the site, resulting in such nonsense as this Siouxsie & The Banshees 'single' not being allowed to be called a single because the submitter can't prove that it's referred to as a single in contemporary press releases or adverts:

https://www.discogs.com/Siouxsie-And...elease/1638035.

If you make your collection public, you can expect to receive inquiries which can lead to private, off-site sales. This happens occasionally at the moment, and I expect more of this to happen thanks to the new regime. Or taking it a step further: there's nothing to stop you opening a blog page to sell your records in your discogs collection, linking to the database, but listing the sale details externally. It's just a lot less convenient than selling directly on Discogs.
                          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

I don't often feel the necessity to quote the Pistols but this does appear be a case of "screaming fucking bloody mess". I'm going to attempt to carry on but I expect major confusion.
                            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I've decided the most practical way is to sell by weight. Unfortunately that means I have to weigh 450 items ...
                              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
                              X