Discogs ASP lunacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
    Is there a way to prevent immediate payment?
    I haven't kept up with ASP developments.
    No order in 11 days!!
    If that's unusual for you, try logging out and checking what other people see. If you want, you can PM me your Discogs name and I'll have a look to see if there's something weird in your ASP.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
      I have said balls to this and seeing the plus side. Paying the seller directly and just using the Discogs infrastructure. Without the fees ect i'm making a saving and the seller is saving by not paying fees. That will hit them financially .
      Unless someone pays me friend/family , where the buyer has no protection , I'd rather pay the fees and do it through discogs otherwise as a seller I have no protection if it gets "lost" as I'd have no official receipt of sale to print out, which all mail carriers require in the case of a claim

Comment

I finally set mine up last night. The only problem I had was with the required 'All items' setting that I don't quite get the point of but had to fill out.

Looks good, and I enjoyed the fortnight off having to shoehorn in going to the post office. Wouldn't mind selling some records now.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

If that's unusual for you, try logging out and checking what other people see. If you want, you can PM me your Discogs name and I'll have a look to see if there's something weird in your ASP.
          It's because I haven't completed the ASP. I'll do it one day, probably...
          Discogs for me is a hobby, I'm not that organised, and I'm not interested in becoming a pro seller. I have been known to forget to remove items from my store after selling them in the real world. I have been known to make mistakes with grading, or even to choose the wrong US pressing plant for a record, and so on. So the instant payment thing is a real pain. I need the opportunity to check an order before allowing it to go forward for payment. This is when I catch errors like these. It doesn't happen often but I'd prefer to keep it this way. No doubt I'll be condemned by some for running such a shoddy operation..!
          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

It's an absolute shitshow, isn't it//...

Initially I'd ignored the alerts to set a shipping policy as I'd posted my rates in Seller Settings and didn't know what the hell they were on about. Then I noticed a dropoff in sales over the last fortnight or so and it was only when I got an enquiry from a UK buyer that I found out my inventory had been greyed out. I went to look at it and the whole thing was insane - incomprehensible bollocks!! I clicked on something and it allowed the buyer to make an order and next thing I know the guy's paid up without an invoice and £0 for postage!! Worked out what went wrong and luckily he's aware there's a massive problem at the moment and sent me the postage costs direct via Paypal.

I'm now wondering what to do as my other sales outlet is record fairs and they're out of the question for the foreseeable future. I've done a bit of cursory Googling to see what the reaction's been and it's uniformly negative .... apart from their bots posting on Trustpilot, of course and one or two obvious company plants in the Discogs Forum posting multiple times on threads (would a normal user be that determined to defend Discogs even if they really have found ASP to work for them?). Add in their inability to interact with complaints apart from automated responses and you can only conclude that a significant drop in sales is the only thing that will make them reconsider

Now most big businesses like Discogs usually shit themselves at a 5% drop in sales let alone the huge drop they must be experiencing at the moment - but how long will they give it until some brave soul in the organisation has the balls to tell their bosses that a major error has been made and they could soon become one of those internet names that people wonder: "whatever happened to them?". If people's theories about Paypal putting pressure on them are correct then they may be in a contractual bind they can't get out of and would have to rely on Paypal renegotiating.

My theory is some dolt looked at the analytics of how many drunk buyers lose interest between initial order and waking up sober to an ill-advised jaunt down Nostalgia Lane or a realisation that they were so pissed that they didn't realise they'd have to pay £12 shipping for a £2 'bargain' that they thought they'd transform these lost sales opportunities into actual moolah .... and that person is now bricking it and urgently updating their CV

Think I might try other sites (any recommendations?) and back to Ebay for rarer items. Ho hum ...
            "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Let the great musicstack exodus begin
              sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post
                It's an absolute shitshow, isn't it//...

My theory is some dolt looked at the analytics of how many drunk buyers lose interest between initial order and waking up sober to an ill-advised jaunt down Nostalgia Lane or a realisation that they were so pissed that they didn't realise they'd have to pay £12 shipping for a £2 'bargain' that they thought they'd transform these lost sales opportunities into actual moolah .... and that person is now bricking it and urgently updating their CV

Think I might try other sites (any recommendations?) and back to Ebay for rarer items. Ho hum ...
                Thing is they still don't have to pay straight away, an invoice is sent to them that they can ignore or has this changed too? I've only set my ASP up for the UK at the moment and haven't had a single sale in 2 weeks - granted I only had about 10 orders a month before this shitshow was brought in. Hoping they do go back to the old system when sales plummet.
                'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                  Also, it's a bit of a faff, but you can duplicate each postage method for tracked/untracked and set the maximum value on untracked stuff.

Note you need to set the minimum value as £0.00 for the tracked version for the policy to count as complete.

e.g. for LPs in the UK I have something like:

Untracked
                  < £30.00
                  1 to 1 - £4.00
                  then £1 each per extra 1 item

Tracked
                  > £0.00
                  1 to 1 - £5.00
                  then £1 each per extra 1 item

I preferred the ASP before, when you could just set the basic ones (e.g. 1-3 LPs unsigned, under x value) and contact buyers for an accurate price on expensive items, bigger orders etc. That worked pretty well as-was

Thanks Bongolia. I reckon that's a bit too complicated for an old luddite like me though. I did contact Discogs about this and had this reply, which is something positive at least.

Your ticket (318084) has been updated. To add additional comments, respond directly to this message or visit the URL below while logged into your Discogs account.
                  support.discogs.com/hc/requests/318084

Mark (Discogs)
                  Nov 17, 2020, 15:09 PST
                  Hello,

Thanks for writing, and sorry for the difficulty. Unfortunately it is not currently possible to automatically do this via the ASP.

However, you can still put in your seller terms that new buyers must select the tracked and signed option. Then if they do not do so, you can cancel the order as item unavailable.

Or, if they do not select that shipping option at first but then agree to use tracked and signed shipping after you notify them, you could at that time invoice them for the difference directly via Paypal. (Or cancel the order and have them place a new one with the correct shipping option selected).

Hopefully that workaround is helpful, and apologies again for the inconvenience. Feel free to let us know if you need anything else, and have a great day.

Best Regards,
                  Mark

Comment

Has anybody used the Paypal refund on return shipping?

I bought a record from France recently billed as VG+, but upon arrival clearly wasn't. The seller who seems only to send franlish responses has recommended this service, which I've never used or heard of.

So I resend the package back and keep the receit obviously to prove to Paypal I've sent it... but when it arrives back at the seller do they then refund me the original total or what?

Any help appreciated, sorry for the tedious post.
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                      Has anybody used the Paypal refund on return shipping?

I bought a record from France recently billed as VG+, but upon arrival clearly wasn't. The seller who seems only to send franlish responses has recommended this service, which I've never used or heard of.

So I resend the package back and keep the receit obviously to prove to Paypal I've sent it... but when it arrives back at the seller do they then refund me the original total or what?

Any help appreciated, sorry for the tedious post.
                      I've used that a couple of times. You make the claim by opening up the record of your payment on PayPal, then click the 'Request return-shipping refund' tab. You'll need a scan of the post receipt but it's pretty simple and they don't seem to quibble over it. I think there's a limit of around 10 claims you can make in a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom B View Post

I've used that a couple of times. You make the claim by opening up the record of your payment on PayPal, then click the 'Request return-shipping refund' tab. You'll need a scan of the post receipt but it's pretty simple and they don't seem to quibble over it. I think there's a limit of around 10 claims you can make in a year.
                        Thanks Tom! Seasonal greetings to you...

I follow all that but does the seller refund the full amount?
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post

Thanks Tom! Seasonal greetings to you...

I follow all that but does the seller refund the full amount?
                          Season’s greetings to you too! Yes, they should refund the cost of the record when it reaches them - so send it with tracking, which Paypal will refund in full.

Comment

• Cheers Tom
                            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• I've noticed my Discogs getting a bit busier than before, since managing to get the ASP sorted out. New buyers, etc. Still not in favour of it, but perhaps there's a bit of a silver lining for some.
                              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
                              X