Oldies Unlimited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldies Unlimited

Anyone here used to get records from this mail order firm?

I vaguely recall their adverts/sleeves, but didn't realise what a major operation they were until I found this clip:
    https://www.macearchive.org/films/at...dies-unlimited

They are now a bricks & mortar store in Wolverhampton, but I'm unsure if the Lewis family are involved in it.

What I do know is that after Oldies Unlimited folded, Anthony Lewis carved out a living in a very different industry:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McCoy

Bit of an interesting career path. Sounds like the type of thing that Little Jimmy Oddman could write a good article about....
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Interesting snippet from this thread:
    https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums...e-2008/page/7/

"At the height time of Oldies Unlimited success, if you were a candidate in the General Election you got free posting to everyone in the constituency. Anthony cottoned on to this and either he or some Oldies Unlimited person would put themselves up in loads of constituencies to get the free post. You couldn't make it up could you?"
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

I used to get the packs of 50 reggae 7" singles for something like £3.99 when I was still at school - early '80s - and would ask for these as my birthday or Christmas present. A lot of chaff in there but some decent ones too. At one time I had a good run of Sioux singles with their beautiful blue labels but for some reason I later sold them all. Still got a few others from these packs though

North of the River Cole

Comment

Was just thinking about them the other day for some reason. I used to get the catalogues and bought a few things at the start of the 90s. I expect a lot of the good stuff had gone by then - because the catalogues I remember were mostly fairly mainstream UK pop stuff (and mostly singles too?)

Comment

I have to say I've never heard of it/him - but what a fascinating archive ATV film.

Recording collecting/selling - a cure for epilepsy that I was also unaware of...

Comment

I used to get 'Soul Packs' from there, also in the 80s like RedX. Used to be a lot of Jayboy stuff in it as a rule, and Atlantic things. Nothing killer in there but they were extremely cheap. The Poets 'She Blew a Good Thing' was in one of those and I still play that a lot.

Cripes, I just had a look at what he's up to now.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
            X