No announcement yet.

Show us your favourite damaged record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your favourite damaged record!

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	12902313382722.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	1055227

Lovely LP. It was very cheap, so I didn't mind that it had been written on, probably not by Nico, and chewed, also probably not by Nico (maybe I should have it DNA tested)

How about showing any damaged records that you are fond of ...

Turbo, still alive in Osaka ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1055240

This 10" Lp is the definitive "well loved" item - the spine is completely worn through, a nick has been cut in the open end for fast and easy access - and sure enough, the vinyl is about as wrecked as the sleeve implies.

Picked up in a Parisian flea market for a few Francs many moons ago.

Attached Files

Comment

Feel it! Ace. Boris Vian. I read his novel... Heartsnatcher I think. /goes to check. Yup, Heartsnatcher.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0501.JPG Views:	26 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	1055240

This 10" Lp is the definitive "well loved" item - the spine is completely worn through, a nick has been cut in the open end for fast and easy access - and sure enough, the vinyl is about as wrecked as the sleeve implies.
        Nice! Some rekkids are not unreplaceable, and if they still give service, rip 'em and save your stylus from scratch purgatory.

Comment

I was shown a box of pretty decent reggae albums that they'd just had in in The Diskery in Birmingham once but the top spine of every album looked like it had been removed by an extremely industrial sander or something. Or they had actually fallen off the back of a lorry and had skidded down the road for 250 yards

North of the River Cole

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201027_231004.jpg Views:	11 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	1055246
            This one also has a v-shaped nick for easy access, although the owner also decided an inner sleeve was too much faff.
            It also features what appears to be a transexual recreating one of the saucy "knickers down" cheesecake pictures of Art Frahm. There is a strong tradition of vallenato/ cumbia stag records, for some reason. Anyway, los chicos have clearly treated this record with no respect whatsoever. It's hammered.
            Last edited by babycart; 28-10-2020, 11:26 AM.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
              I was shown a box of pretty decent reggae albums that they'd just had in in The Diskery in Birmingham once but the top spine of every album looked like it had been removed by an extremely industrial sander or something. Or they had actually fallen off the back of a lorry and had skidded down the road for 250 yards

& you bought the whole box for 2 quid, right?

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                This one also has a v-shaped nick for easy access
                That seems to be a thing, doesn't it. Cutting LP sleeves to get the record out quicker. Must try it on one of my Maki Asakawa OG's ... getting it out of the 3 clear bags, then undoing the obi, followed by decoding the inner sleeve ... FUCK THAT ... throw away the inner sleeve & cut a V shaped nick ... SORTED!

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

That seems to be a thing, doesn't it. Cutting LP sleeves to get the record out quicker.!
                  I think it's quite a good idea as long as you have an inner sleeve. Saves rummaging around inside the cover for the record. You just grab it and voila!!!
                  Better than my old trick of lining up the opening on the inner sleeve with the opening on the cover, so you could just slip the record out straight away to save time while DJing. That's a recipe for tumbling vinyl.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Wouldn't it be advisable to neatly fold down two corners of the inner sleeve too, to avoid crinkle-corner when you return your platter to source?
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                      Wouldn't it be advisable to neatly fold down two corners of the inner sleeve too, to avoid crinkle-corner when you return your platter to source?
                      I don't think so. Crinkle-corner is preferable to the inner sleeve hitting the wrong side of the glued seam of the cover at speed and thus loosening it. The fold-down technique greatly increases the probability of seam damage.
                      I lose sleep about this, while crinkle-corner is liveable with.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Very, very interesting. From your tone I can tell that you have performed the necessary research here.

Intuitively, though, I cannot see the logic; if the corner is folded then surely it presents a 'kinder edge' to the seam?

I will have to carry out my own researches on this. How many years did it take for you to gather your data?

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                          Very, very interesting. From your tone I can tell that you have performed the necessary research here.

Intuitively, though, I cannot see the logic; if the corner is folded then surely it presents a 'kinder edge' to the seam?

I will have to carry out my own researches on this. How many years did it take for you to gather your data?
                          It does not present a kinder edge, it provides the thin end of a wedge, and before you know it your sleeve has split.
                          However, this is merely a theory. I would never fold the edge of an inner sleeve down. Who would do such a thing?
                          My Spanish and latin records, which come in admittedly annoying plastic inner sleeves, rarely suffer seam splitting.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

This is no theory. This is inner-sleeve ideology. I always suspected a rigid sensibility shifting under all that sultry cumbia.

Comment

Don't come crying to me when all your records turn into gatefolds, Eine. Actually, you probably won't because then you'll have really easy access to them. Once you've unfolded the corners, anyway.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X