Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with unsellable, charidee shop chuff albums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with unsellable, charidee shop chuff albums?

A contact on facebook was recently praising the monthly 'box' just in from this bunch.

When I looked at the photos, I couldn't believe it. I mean, Alison moyet, Katrina and waves, Scott Joplin, Helen Reddy? At a tenner apiece? These records are those we all flick past in every chazzer and boot fair. They're listed on discogs for pennies. The only semi decent ones were a JM jarre album and a Piaf on 60s columbia, but still not worth more than a couple of quid.
    Wish I'd thought of the idea of offering such a 'service'! Apparently they've been at it a couple of years but first I'd heard.
    The record subscription where we pick records just for you. You choose the genres, we send the LP's. With free UK delivery and 20% student discount.
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Somewhere on the site it says they got going in 2014 and have been sending out 1000s of albums for 3 years, So is the site 3 years old?

Unless I've missed it nowhere on the site does it state whether the records are new or used or reissues or what condition can be expected! And people sign up?? "Beggars belief" is the phrase that comes to mind.

"Dedicated Facebook groups". I'm not on Facebook - any insight on the "service" on those groups?

Comment

Am sure these are all cheap used records of some quality but not worth much at all.

I think I've seen a few other of these vinyl clubs. There's definitely a Stateside one that does a similar job and from memory on that one you can pay for different tiers of membership that will get you more quality records.

In terms of who takes out a subscription, there must be a lot of Badgers purchasing them for Secret Squirrels as Xmas gifts because they know SSs are really into vinyl records... But in fact it makes Secret Squirrel really glum as it's only rubbish, not even any mainstream records of decent value.

Kind of like:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I dunno, I can see this working. I often flick past records that are cheap and common, but which I also know are good. I know that because I'm an old git. Younger people don't, and have basically a lot more back catalogue to get their heads round than i did.
        If you want a well-curated record selection service that's guaranteed to provide you with some good listening, I can see how it'd be attractive.
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
        X