Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU Customs/VAT anyone know how it will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s on discogs, I’ve seen 20% vat on some sellers in European countries inc. Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Nizbit View Post
      It’s on discogs, I’ve seen 20% vat on some sellers in European countries inc. Germany.
      If VAT is going to be added it's better added at source, at least that will avoid the 'handling fee', and customs hold ups. There's been a few horror stories about those recently. Most record buyers already knew about those when a record may have come from the US with the real cost on the customs form.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I was reading this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55752541

and it gave a link to this...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nal-post-users

which may or may not clear things up...

In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I'm not sure any of it is very clear. The idea seems to be that if you buy something which is less than £135 then it is not liable for customs duty or import VAT. That gets me wondering why, when you see something on Ebay for £20, being sold in the EU it says 20% VAT will be applied. Is this because there's an assumption that with goods under £135 the VAT will be added at source, in the EU, and that's why no VAT needs to be paid at this end? Not likely to happen with a private seller I imagine.

Has anyone bought anything from the EU lately, and how did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
            I'm not sure any of it is very clear. The idea seems to be that if you buy something which is less than £135 then it is not liable for customs duty or import VAT. That gets me wondering why, when you see something on Ebay for £20, being sold in the EU it says 20% VAT will be applied. Is this because there's an assumption that with goods under £135 the VAT will be added at source, in the EU, and that's why no VAT needs to be paid at this end? Not likely to happen with a private seller I imagine.

Has anyone bought anything from the EU lately, and how did it go?
            "The free trade deal means there are no quotas or tariffs on the goods traded between the EU and UK, but that doesn't mean there are no extra taxes or costs." [cue: "that's not what we voted for"]

It is certainly less than clear from the BBC examples. Sounds like VAT applies to EVERYTHING and extra custom duty for goods over £135 - double whammy. Total madness, and has been pointed out on numerous occasions, probably the ONLY deal in history where BOTH parties came out of it worse off.
            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Presumably when challenged on this imbroglio, Rees Mogg or one of the other 'anti-establishment' millionaires in government will tell us to start collecting patriotic Jim Reeves and Frank Ifield records instead of sordid continental sonics.

End of problem!

RE the below.

'I'm not sure any of it is very clear. The idea seems to be that if you buy something which is less than £135 then it is not liable for customs duty or import VAT. That gets me wondering why, when you see something on Ebay for £20, being sold in the EU it says 20% VAT will be applied. Is this because there's an assumption that with goods under £135 the VAT will be added at source, in the EU, and that's why no VAT needs to be paid at this end? Not likely to happen with a private seller I imagine.'

It is clear(ish) to me but all of it highly unwelcome. I believe your understanding to be correct: if you buy anything from the EU it is liable for import VAT, but the import VAT is collected by the online marketplace - if you're buying from a big company - when you purchase the item.

Therefore your sub-£135 purchase sails through customs as you already paid the VAT when you bought it via Paypal. Ebay, Amazon or whichever demonic corporation it is then sends the 20% VAT to HMRC. If you are dealing with private person to person sales then the seller should supposedly register for VAT if they are a business - I believe one of the links I put up earlier suggested that this may be different if you are a 'private' seller.

As outlined previously, the only instance where this might work out slightly cheaper for consumers is if you are purchasing a low value record that was just over the £15 VAT / customs fee limit from non EU destinations like US, Japan, Australia etc. If the item costs £20, you would now need to pay £4 VAT when you make the purchase, but you wouldn't be subject to a £10 Royal Mail 'handling fee' and 2p of customs charges, as in days of yore

It seems like online marketplaces and other websites are scrambling to catch up with the hastily devised deal and its implications. Discogs isn't charging the VAT yet but presumably may do if their accountants feel they qualify as an online marketplace. The disruption we're experiencing could have been partly mitigated by a further one year implementation period, but a certain mop-topped ideologue was compelled to 'get Brexit done' and 'fuck business'. At least he is diversifying from interpersonal relations with his various mistresses, but he's done gone fucked us all.

As Mr J Lydon put it - 'ever get the feeling you've been cheated?' Well ...

Comment

As I understand it, the post-Brexit free trade between the EU and UK refers to wholesale goods, not retail, i.e. if my factory makes novelty hat and we export them to Britain, no tariffs are imposed on these exports -- this is whats meant by free trade in this context; however, if someone in the UK then tries to buy one of my novelty hats directly from Holland by mailorder, then it is a retail sale, and as such is subject to UK VAT. You might hope that I, the foreign-based novelty hat seller, would subtract dutch domestic VAT before applying whatever UK import taxes apply, but not all small businesses are set up for that.
                Cross border trading within the EU was relatively red-tape free and many small businesses took advantage of it. The hurdle that Brexit imposes on such small businesses appears to be something that many had not adequately prepared for, not to mention the dearth of clear, sensible information on the topic.
                The whole business of taxes imposed on ebay, discogs, etc, is a complicating factor. Its quite a mess.
                Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Y'know I had a nagging feeling back in December something like this complete and utter f*ck up of a situation might occur post brexit... so I got a few last minute purchases in for Xmas.

I bought a 45 from the US on the 5th Dec at a grand cost of $5 + postage... (Baller, ain't I?) it arrived today without any trouble regards import tax / VAT / etc... The interesting (!) thing is that it entered the UK on Jan 5th... so my dear Watson, I deduce that there must be a limit below which they don't bother with the faff... either that or they were not paying attention. But... the big questions are does the same apply to the EU? and just what is that limit?

If anyone thinks they might have an answer to these two questions please do let me / us know... Then I can get back to my high stakes vinyl gambles...
                  Last edited by someblokecalledfuz; 27-01-2021, 05:09 PM.
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Rather weirdly I got a record from the US with a value of $175 and no charges were made at all. I ordered a record from Germany for 75 Euro and haven't received it yet. I bought on 31st December and didn't realise there may be charges so didn't ask seller to low-ball the value. He posted about 3 weeks ago so should arrive any day and I'll soon find out I suppose.

Comment

175 USD is fractionally below 135 GBP, so I reckon you just slipped under the 'Customs Duty' limit there. The post office doesn't seem to be directly charging recipients for VAT, only couriers seen to be trying to do this at the receiving end - I know not why.

It also seems that many retailers / couriers / customs entities are scrabbling to adapt to these changes so I suspect systems will continue to evolve and become more formalised in future months.

'The worst is yet to come' as they used to say in the 60s Batman.

Comment

Received a record this week in Sweden from UK. Swedish tax+customs charged an extra €15.
                        So a €15 record costs €40 after adding shipping, customs and tax charges.

Comment

I sent a 7' to Belgium (from UK) last month which I sold via discogs.

The buyer paid £240 for the record but when sending I wanted to play safe so insured the package for £200

The package got held in Belgium customs the buyer had to pay €89,26 (£78,40) customs charges ...

I feel bad for the buyer....I know it's the buyers responsibility to pay customs but I just feel really bad for the buyer .....I'm tempted to refund half of the customs charges

Comment

Did you send it via Royal Mail or courier? If you'd opted for Royal Mail, you could have declared it as a low value 'Gift' on the customs form, and still insured it for £200 - the two don't need to match for the insurance to be valid, in case the item is lost, methinks. A lot of the horror stories on the BBC about import charges seem to relate to instances where a courier is used.

Comment

Originally posted by Feel Good By Numbers View Post
                              I sent a 7' to Belgium (from UK) last month which I sold via discogs.

The buyer paid £240 for the record but when sending I wanted to play safe so insured the package for £200

The package got held in Belgium customs the buyer had to pay €89,26 (£78,40) customs charges ...

I feel bad for the buyer....I know it's the buyers responsibility to pay customs but I just feel really bad for the buyer .....I'm tempted to refund half of the customs charges
                              Crikey! I feel their pain. Difficult to see how they came to that figure though. Even with 20% VAT you're left wondering where they got the other £28 from. Makes our Royal Mail handling charge look cheap, which it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

Crikey! I feel their pain. Difficult to see how they came to that figure though. Even with 20% VAT you're left wondering where they got the other £28 from. Makes our Royal Mail handling charge look cheap, which it isn't.
                                Well it was above the upper limit for simple VAT charge.

I can't believe a conversation didn't take place beforehand along the lines of what shall we put on the customs declaration?
                                Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Working...
                                X