Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Records that sound just as good - or better - at the wrong speed ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Records that sound just as good - or better - at the wrong speed ...

OK, confession time.
    I was working my way through a mixture of albums and singles recently, and forgot to switch the turntable speed.
    It's normally a dead giveaway if you've been spinning singles and put an album on at 45rpm - the vocals sound like Pinky and Perky [apologies anyone under 50 - they were two pigs on children's TV many moons ago, responsible for a string of nightmare covers, achieved by recording normal speed vocals and speeding them up]
    Here you go:

Anyway, easy mistake to make when you're putting on something with vocals. Not always so easy to spot if you're not concentrating and the music is instrumental.
    That's my argument and I'm sticking to it.
    The album I'd put on was jazz-rock noodle fest Elastic Rock by Nucleus - a prized Vertigo swirl much loved by proggers everywhere. Great album.

And, it turns out, also great at 45rpm - which gives formerly chilled jazzy pieces a real groove and pushes the whole thing more into fusion territory.
    I only noticed when the needle came off Side 1 after what seemed an unfathomably short time, and a quick check confirmed it had motored through at the wrong speed.
    Can't quite decide which speed to play it at now

So, anyone else got any masterworks to suggest that at worst are not ruined by playing at the wrong speed - and might even be improved?

I tend to prefer spinning 45s at 33! Tommy by Focus sounds awesome that way!
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

This works:

Comment

This slays pitched down. It's heavy already but becomes super heavy in the best way.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Almost all Autechre records sound good at the wrong speed.

Judy Collins slowed down sounds like Tim Buckley.
          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Your comment about Nucleus makes me think that 70s fusion chops-fests might benefit from being slowed down. I don’t own any or I would try it

Comment

I'm sure you all know Dolly's Jolene 7" sounds great at 33. Like a guy singing.
              i listened to one of the BBE j-jazz albums a couple of times before I realized they were cut at 45. Sounds great both ways. Two records for the price of one!

Comment

Originally posted by v66ald View Post
                I'm sure you all know Dolly's Jolene 7" sounds great at 33. Like a guy singing.
                As Wanda Jackson's Funnel Of Love!

Comment

LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

I bought the Coil Unreleased Themes From Hellraiser 10" when it was released and bought the CD single when that was released a while later and was surprised to find that the record was meant to be played at 45 and not 33, as I had been doing - sounds much scarier at 33 though
                    North of the River Cole

Comment

A lot of UK breakbeat/hardcore from '92/'93 sounds better at 33

Comment

Working...
                      X