Record store day 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record store day 2021

I see that tomorrow is Record store day- actually one of two it turns out. Here we are not too interested in record store day, but a few years back there would still have been talk about what records would be available, what was total bollocks (this year the Engelbert Humperdinck 7" box set is in that camp), and what was going to be actually quite good, and somebody might even pop along to a shop and pick one up. This year zilch, not even mentioned. I think it says more about the forum than record store day which, although largely a load of old toss (and I've never been to a shop on record store day as it happens) is, after all, a day all about records. I don't think I've ever seen the forum so empty of comment.

On a sort of related note I was interested in what Dave Cambridge of Cardinal Fuzz records had to say, in a recent mailout, about the difficulty of getting records pressed these days...

'To give an idea of how hard pressing queues are hitting small labels - Asteroid #4 - Northern Songs repress was sent last week and we are told Jan 22 for delivery. Nudity Reissue (sadly the plates were no longer available) also Jan 22. It is hard when you have to pay upfront 100% of the costs but cannot recoup any costs back on them till November 21 at the earliest (when pre-sales likely). It is just the climate at this moment as here in Europe all Sub 500 pressings are now priced at 500 cost (as plants no longer need the hassle of smaller niche pressings when they can press bigger). Some plants are refusing to take orders unless you also get the outer sleeve printed via the pressing plant (so they can make their mark up). It means that costs are not going up a few pennies per unit - On a 300 pressing the unit cost has risen for myself over £1 per unit (as I usually get my sleeves printed cheaper outside of the pressing plant as well). Just so you understand why prices are rising...Raw Material costs are up we are told via the plants...the Suez Canal causing major disruption in plastics too. So here I am sending my best to small record labels all over the world. OH yeah F**K BREXIT'.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

For the first time I think there's nothing in RSD that I'm remotely interested in

Oh yeah F**K BREXIT x2 (just got my 'We will enrol you into the Global Shipping Program (couldn't even spell that right!)' email from eBay - like f*** you will!

North of the River Cole

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
      For the first time I think there's nothing in RSD that I'm remotely interested in
      Yes, it looks a bit poor. I did consider the T Dyson 7" so I could flog my original but I don't think I'll bother.

Comment

I think RSD probably lost its way a while back, although this is complete conjecture as I’ve never really followed it. I imagine the shops do ok out of it. Again, conjecture. I guess I just fancied posting someting.

I have bought a small number of RSD releases, maybe 3? This isn’t conjecture but poor memory. I’m pretty sure only one was bought knowing it was a RSD release though.

Comment

A record shop is for life, not just RSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
            This year zilch, not even mentioned. I think it says more about the forum than record store day which, although largely a load of old toss (and I've never been to a shop on record store day as it happens) is, after all, a day all about records. I don't think I've ever seen the forum so empty of comment.
            Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just tired of it. 99% of the releases are DULL DULL DULL, if I want anything, it's invariably in a different country. If there had been a truly exciting release, I imagine it would have been flagged.
            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just tired of it. 99% of the releases are DULL DULL DULL, if I want anything, it's invariably in a different country. If there had been a truly exciting release, I imagine it would have been flagged.
              You're joking aren't you? There are truly exciting releases almost every week but they never get mentioned here- or maybe I'm just too excitable.

Comment

There are exciting records getting talked about, but it's not on here, it's mostly on FB. As you say, it's the forum format rather than RSD etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                  There are exciting records getting talked about, but it's not on here, it's mostly on FB. As you say, it's the forum format rather than RSD etc.
                  Which ones? Must have missed 'em and I checked the whole list.

Comment

Actually this looks very promising. Didn't hear about it before:

https://salahragab.bandcamp.com/track/egypt-strut

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                      Actually this looks very promising. Didn't hear about it before:

https://salahragab.bandcamp.com/track/egypt-strut
                      I think that probably just gathers together the tracks from the Art Yard LP and singles, plus the Jazzman singles. Useful to have it in double LP though. I see they are going to release it later in the year as a single LP- presumably with a reduced track list. I note that the labels are reversed on on of the records. Basic quality control seems to be missing on so many new pressings.

Also Dennis Bovell's 'I Wah Dub' LP is not super rare but if you wanted a cheap copy in good condition now would be a good time to get one.

Comment

The Egypt Strut is great, and for £23 you get double vinyl, booklet & mini booklet, printed inners, original version of the sleeve, its a very nice package. The Steve Parks (nice on a) 45 and the Verocai were £16 each, so pricing was all over the place. There was a reissue of the Minty LP that was £75 rrp?

Comment

Looks like Bill Fay's 'Time Of The Last Persecution' is coming in the next bunch. Via Universal, I think, so maybe nothing special, who knows? This will please people who didn't like the 4 Men With Beards pressing. Didn't sound that awful to me but maybe I was just lucky- I don't have an original to compare it to either, and at £1500 for an original I never will have.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                            Looks like Bill Fay's 'Time Of The Last Persecution' is coming in the next bunch. Via Universal, I think, so maybe nothing special, who knows? This will please people who didn't like the 4 Men With Beards pressing. Didn't sound that awful to me but maybe I was just lucky- I don't have an original to compare it to either, and at £1500 for an original I never will have.

Thanks for mentioning this. I got the "4 men with facial hair" reissue which iirw doesn't sound that bad compared to other 4 men releases (apparently the 4 fellows have hairy ears or are hard on hearing), but hopefuly this official reissue will be much better.

Btw I got a couple of RSD releases this time, namely Kenny Dorham "Quiet Kenny", Steve Wynn "Dekad" and Frank Foster "Loud Minority". Personally I usually find a couple of interesting RSD releases every year...
                            Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

any record store day releases i wanted in the past, i always found out about after they had come out and then picked up cheaper later on. im not one for splashing loads on records anymore.

though i have just bought a 8 disc fawlty towers reissue...
                              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                              X