Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discogs - Good News!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Discogs - Good News!

    Everything just got 20 percent more expensive. Ouch.

    Another brilliant Discogs change rollout - tell people 2 days before it happens, thereby giving everyone no time to adapt whatsoever...

  • #2
    Not actually good news, actually 'Great news!'.

    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

    Comment


    • #3
      Oops. You've got me there. I'm glad you agree with me that the news is greater than good though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Whoever is doing their comms is doing text book bad job.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

        Comment


        • #5
          As usual I don't have a complete grasp of this, numbers not being a strong point with me. Possible scenario-

          I am buying a CD copy of 'The Doors' by The Doors. A UK seller has one for £3.40 but I have decided to go with want-the-best-copy. He wants £150 plus £30 for his (yes, really) but it will be packed between sheets of 2cm thick lead and he's agreed to photograph it because I'm a serious buyer. I have bargained him down to £130 inc P&P and, for the purposes of this scenario, I am in the UK and he is currently in France. Because it is under the £135 low value goods threshold does that mean I have no extra to pay?
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
            As usual I don't have a complete grasp of this, numbers not being a strong point with me. Possible scenario-

            I am buying a CD copy of 'The Doors' by The Doors. A UK seller has one for £3.40 but I have decided to go with want-the-best-copy. He wants £150 plus £30 for his (yes, really) but it will be packed between sheets of 2cm thick lead and he's agreed to photograph it because I'm a serious buyer. I have bargained him down to £130 inc P&P and, for the purposes of this scenario, I am in the UK and he is currently in France. Because it is under the £135 low value goods threshold does that mean I have no extra to pay?
            Honestly can't believe anyone of sane mind buys owt from this joker.
            'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

            Comment


            • #7
              I think it's shitter than this, although the message and blogs are unclear. Going from a thread in the marketplace, VAT is added to all UK to EU sales now at point of sale. So the old 'mark it down as £10 for customs please' is now redundant.

              It's unclear what it means for UK to UK sales. One text seems to suggest that 20% will be added on regardless of whether the seller is VAT registrered, but I think that's the terrible copywriter at work.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

              Comment


              • #8
                My understanding is it is on top of any customs charge, that is an import tax, this is VAT. Announcing it as great news just boils people's piss.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My understanding is ...

                  If you're based in the UK and the seller is in the UK, you pay VAT on the order - unless the buyer has a VAT number and is VAT registered. Applies regardless of order value.


                  If you're based in the UK and the seller is in the EU or another non UK territory (USA etc)...you pay VAT. Again, regardless of order value. A customs fee also applies if the order value is over 135 quid.


                  Note that if you're based in the EU and buy from within the EU, no VAT would apply. But if you're in the EU and buy from outside the EU, the VAT is applicable. So a non-Brexit scenario would have been a partial cushion for us poor UK bods.


                  Buying and selling on Facebook forums just got a whole lot more appealing. Welcome to the new dark ages...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ticking gift , the new age

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I guess I'm none the wiser. Anything connected with money makes my head hurt. I just saw this on Honest Jon's page.

                      Honest Jon's has enrolled with the European Union 'Import One-Stop Shop'. For EU customers, this means that you will not be charged any additional VAT or duty, nor any handling fees. No further costs.
                      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                        I guess I'm none the wiser. Anything connected with money makes my head hurt. I just saw this on Honest Jon's page.

                        Honest Jon's has enrolled with the European Union 'Import One-Stop Shop'. For EU customers, this means that you will not be charged any additional VAT or duty, nor any handling fees. No further costs.
                        just means if your in the EU you pay the 20%vat at time of purchase and not when it gets to your door

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          ive just deleted my whole inventory. until i know whats going on.
                          i stopped selling to the EU, and then worldwide as USA postage is over £15. if now i have to pay 20% on top as well...
                          ive recently stated selling back on ebay, but they then took paypal off as a way of receiving money.

                          instagram.com/vinylhoard

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                            ive just deleted my whole inventory. until i know whats going on.
                            i stopped selling to the EU, and then worldwide as USA postage is over £15. if now i have to pay 20% on top as well...
                            ive recently stated selling back on ebay, but they then took paypal off as a way of receiving money.
                            Just to say, now it's up & running, the new ebay payments is fine. The two day wait is annoying admittedly, but them's the (ill raer) breaks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by reza View Post

                              just means if your in the EU you pay the 20%vat at time of purchase and not when it gets to your door
                              Righto. And I notice some sellers in the EU do the same thing which at least avoids the 'handling cost' nonsense. However this works (or doesn't) it's a right royal pain. If there was a golden age for buying overseas it's clearly over for the foreseeable future. Strange to think only a few years ago US postage was so cheap I often bought records there instead of here, and records were bought and sold on GEMM, or Discogs, or even Ebay, with gay abandon. I suppose this pandemic makes everything seem ten times worse- nobody is very happy just now.
                              "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X