New Releases August 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Releases August 2021

Kiko Kids Jazz 'Tanganyika Na Uhuru' is just out from Mississippi. Really beautiful, languid, sounds, with a mandolin, from 1962/5 Tanganyika. It was just perfect with my breakfast this morning. They worked with the main-man, Salim Zahoro, to ready the LP using tapes and records. There's a nice12" booklet inside with lyrics and photos and a bit of back story. Sixty years old and sounds so fresh. It's enough to make you weep. Nice sleeve image showing Salim in 1964 with a fan standing behind him. Salim died in February of this year. Honest Jon's, or Juno, are doing this for about £15 which is a bloody bargain.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

I shall be listening to the whole bloody thing here!

https://mississippirecords.bandcamp....nyika-na-uhuru

& then probably buying it.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

& then buying it.
      I've fixed that for you

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

I've fixed that for you
        You bought it for me? How kind.

Comment

The always excellent Greg Foat is back (does he ever go away?) with hot-shot Finns Aleski Heinola on drums and Teemu Akerblom on bass on the LP 'Gone To The Cats. Greg is tickling the Fender Rhodes and some sort of Moog thing. It's on Jazzaggression and you know it makes sense. I will not be buying a copy for Turboellis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Greg.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1057218

Comment

A very welcome 2 LP compilation of previously released and some previously not released tracks by Leslie Winer on Light in the Attic.

https://www.discogs.com/Leslie-Winer...lease/19678714

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYRS03q4ws

I bought 2 clear copies from Norman Records. One was fine the other had a load of noise on one side, so they're replacing it, and paying for the extra shipping costs. Nice folk there at Norman Records.

I might stop buying the coloured variants. It's real lottery if you get a good copy or not.
            Last edited by Turboellis; 23-08-2021, 03:10 AM. Reason: 2nd try at spellong littery korrectly

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              I will not be buying a copy for Turboellis.
              Boo!

Comment

I see from Dusty Groove that there is coming a reissue of “Carlton Streets” by the Brian Brown Quintet. Difficult to acquire Coltrane (IIRC) inspired Oz jazz. I didn’t make much of it when I had a copy x years ago. But Roundtable are behind the reissue so perhaps I missed something.

Comment

Just listened to the title track on YouTube. The rock and soul-jazz inflections give it more of an early 70s vibe. Better than I remembered.

Comment

The idly curious might first want to listen to the whole thing on YouTube. For example the track with the spoken word component is ‘of its time’.

Comment

Working...
                    X