Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Mute Records stop flippers at the recent Label Market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Mute Records stop flippers at the recent Label Market?

Was listening to the latest We Buy Records podcast in which they made a passing reference to Mute Records stopping flippers from flipping stuff they bought at the recent Label Market.

I'm really curious to find out what they did. Anybody know?

And what ways are there to stop flippers other than trying to stop them buying multiple copies of a rare item (good luck with that!)

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I was wondering that too - I think it was test pressings and the like that they were selling, so they might have written the buyer's name on them?

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      I was wondering that too - I think it was test pressings and the like that they were selling, so they might have written the buyer's name on them?
      That is what Stereolab/Duophonic are doing these days, and only selling one copy per customer. Still hasn't stopped the flippers flipping.
      'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

It was the test pressings. I don't think they did anything and some of these have since been sold on eBay.

Comment

If you numbered each sleeve, you could keep a note of who bought it. A bit of a PITA though ... props to them for trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
            If you numbered each sleeve, you could keep a note of who bought it. A bit of a PITA though ... props to them for trying.
            And then the seller covers that number in the photos for the listing...........mad Fad Gadget fans still gonna buy...

I genuinely can't think of a way to stop this practice that doesn't involve massively onerous detective work. Not that it bothers me in the slightest.

See you at the next Daupe drop, bro.

Comment

The "real fan" that buys it, then contacts Mute to say he had to pay 1000 quid to buy Fad Gadget Raer #4. Mute will know who it was and ban them from the next sale.

The ethics of trying to indirectly control an object after you've sold it is questionable.

And yes, it's a major faff ...

The only thing that bothers me is that a flipper has bought something that a fan should have been able to buy much cheaper.

I'll bring the clocks.

Comment

How Jack White attempts to deal with it.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/art...s-angers-fans/

Comment

Working...
                X