Good weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good weekend?

makes a change for me to start this kind of thread off, but even though i only managed to hit one spot this weekend, it wasn't as dry as i might have expected.

walked away with quite a selection of acid folk / brit folk and other general goodies. some of them are doubles, so i've added (TRADE) to 'em and also they'll be on my updated trades list.

"bobby and betty go to the moon" - leo muller!
    "western campfires" - leo muller again!
    burt bacharach - "lost horizon OST". (TRADE)
    leonard cohen - "new skin for the old ceremony"
    leonard cohen - "death of a ladies man"
    leonard cohen - "greatest hits"
    "2001 - a space odyssey" - (OST) - (TRADE)
    tom paxton - "morning again"
    tom paxton - "how come the sun" (TRADE)
    tom paxton - "peace will come" (TRADE)
    jose feliciano - "a bag full of soul"
    amen corner - "the world of..."
    the pentangle - "basket of light"
    bert jansch, renbourn etc - "contemporary guitar vol.2"
    fairport convention - "S/T"
    jack hudson - "sunday morning coming down" (TRADE)
    john renbourn - "faro annie"
    keith christmas - "stimulus"
    slade - "slayed?"
    jack hawkins - "favourite tv themes"
    glen campbell - "by the time i get to phoenix"
    geoff love - "big western movie themes"
    stereo gold - "12 tops vol.21"
    the sandpipers - "greatest"
    new seekers - "new colours"
    joseph consortium (norrie paramour) - "joesph and the..." (TRADE)
    ancient order of foresters - "play music" (TRADE)
    ancient order of foresters - "celebration" (TRADE)

how did everyone else do?

Here's my weekend finds:

Paul Humphrey and the cool aid chemists
    First Cousins Jazz Ensemble -For the cos of jazz
    Stevie Wonder presents Syreeta
    Leon Hawood -Come and get yourself some
    MPS Variations '78 -with "Masterfunk" by Alfonze Mouzon.

Comment

...pretty poor to be honest Wooly, well done on the "Bobby & Betty" front, an LP that still eludes me ( grrrr! ).

Did the booters on Sunday and scored a minty copy of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" on London, but apart from that it was pretty fallow. Best thing about the afternoon booters was nicking some of Towny's chips and gravy (with extra gravy).

Just popped out at lunchtime and scored 20th Century Steel Band "Warm Heart..." LP in a charity shop, so maybe all's not bad...

... updated trades list coming soon from me too ...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Not too much time to flick through the racks but...

Della Reese 'It Was A Very Good Year' 45's (both Stateside and HMV).
        Pierre Henry 'Messe Pour Les Temps Present' LP
        'Lights Out : San Francisco' LP (again...).
        April Orchestra 'Volume 12' LP
        Jacques Dutronc 'J'aime Les Filles' 45
        Jacques Dutronc 'Les Playboys' 45

And Lee Dorsey 'A Lover Was Born' arrived in the post while I was out.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Nada. I was shi**ed all weekend.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

no, decided to stay at home and sort out records before buying any more&#33; found loads of 45s i&#39;d completely forgotten about which was nice.

the first Fairport Convention is a nice find (an original pressing?) - more of a psyche album than a folk one maybe.

jack hudson - &quot;sunday morning coming down&quot; (TRADE)
            ancient order of foresters - &quot;play music&quot; (TRADE)
            ancient order of foresters - &quot;celebration&quot; (TRADE)
            - what are these like? first one&#39;s a singer/songwriter thing is it not?

Comment

I didn&#39;t get round to doing much digging on the weekend but I stopped in at Cancer Research today on me way home. Amongst all the usual crap was &#39;A tribute to Benny and Duke&#39; by the Ray Davies Orchestra. Yay&#33;&#33; It features Mr Hawkshaw on the organ. I haven&#39;t had a chance to give it a proper listen as yet but I&#39;ve listened to Paganini Caprice XXIV which is pretty damn funky and reminds me a bit of that Organ Grinder track (although not as good). Does this show up often?
              -Tom

Comment

from the Ray Davies interview on the VV site:

[Ray produces a white label pressing of his hitherto unheard of &#39;Benny &amp; The Duke&#39; LP from 1974Â…the Vulture Crew gaze upon its wonders open-mouthed]

RD: Now-if you could find me a copy of this one, I would give you fifty quid for it-they lost the master tapes&#33; Whether Pye released it I&#39;m not sure-I suppose they must have done. It was one I&#39;m proud of-the guys that played on it and the solos-Duncan Lamont plays tenor sax on &#39;Elegy in F&#39; and &#39;Hadrians Wall&#39; is another of those funky ones. It wasn&#39;t a departure really-someone came along wanting an album of big band stuff. Gordon Reed was the guy at Cavendish at the time, and said we&#39;ve got all of these wonderful tunes on the catalogue by Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman, would you do a thing with a big band in your own modern style and give them a new lease of life, so that&#39;s what I did.

Comment

(so i guess the answer is no to the &#39;does it show up often&#39; question...)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Oct. 13 2003,14:36)]jack hudson - &quot;sunday morning coming down&quot; (TRADE)
                    ancient order of foresters - &quot;play music&quot; (TRADE)
                    ancient order of foresters - &quot;celebration&quot; (TRADE)
                    - what are these like? first one&#39;s a singer/songwriter thing is it not?
                    the ancient order of foresters albums are kind of ham-fisted arrangements of anything from &quot;penny lane&quot; to the carpenters. sounds more like a school band than anything else.

the jack hudson album is a singer-songwriter thing, and very nice it is too. it was released on folk heritage records, which seem to be a favourite of anyone into topic stuff etc. it&#39;s my second copy - apparently quite scarce, but i think he&#39;s a cheshire man so one or two are bound to show up round here.

Comment

No time to go out - but just spent lunchtime taking a look:

League Unlimited Orchestra - love and dancing
                      Ruffaro - pilgrim
                      Kate - Sister Kate (on cotillion with some interesting covers)
                      Traffic - 4 track EP
                      Stephen Stills - Sit yourself down 7&quot;
                      real McCoy - quick joey small 7&quot; (might be a cover -hmmmm)

And a CD by leading Exponents of Queercore - Pansy Division. Though sadly not their concept album &quot;Bill &amp; Ted&#39;s Homosexual Adventure&quot;.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I also saw an Oscar Peterson album on MPS (Motions &amp; Emotions I think) but it wasn&#39;t cheap - is it worth splashing out 12 notes - i.e. does anyoen know if it has that special MPS easy funk fairy dust sprinkled all over it or is it just straight ahead piano jazz?
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Oct. 13 2003,15:16)]I also saw an Oscar Peterson album on MPS (Motions &amp; Emotions I think) but it wasn&#39;t cheap - is it worth splashing out 12 notes - i.e. does anyoen know if it has that special MPS easy funk fairy dust sprinkled all over it or is it just straight ahead piano jazz?
                          It is the latter from recollection. You&#39;re welcome to my copy.....
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Oct. 13 2003,15:05)]from the Ray Davies interview on the VV site:

[Ray produces a white label pressing of his hitherto unheard of &#39;Benny &amp; The Duke&#39; LP from 1974&amp;#8230;the Vulture Crew gaze upon its wonders open-mouthed]

RD: Now-if you could find me a copy of this one, I would give you fifty quid for it-they lost the master tapes&#33; Whether Pye released it I&#39;m not sure-I suppose they must have done. It was one I&#39;m proud of-the guys that played on it and the solos-Duncan Lamont plays tenor sax on &#39;Elegy in F&#39; and &#39;Hadrians Wall&#39; is another of those funky ones. It wasn&#39;t a departure really-someone came along wanting an album of big band stuff. Gordon Reed was the guy at Cavendish at the time, and said we&#39;ve got all of these wonderful tunes on the catalogue by Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman, would you do a thing with a big band in your own modern style and give them a new lease of life, so that&#39;s what I did.
                            The release I have is on Pye so it definately got a proper release. Pretty nice condition too. Oh, and ignore what I said in my previous post about Paganini caprice XXIV sounding like Organ Grinder&#39;s Swing&#33;&#33; I meant the track Flying Home sounds like it .

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (tomj @ Oct. 13 2003,14:52)]I didn&#39;t get round to doing much digging on the weekend but I stopped in at Cancer Research today on me way home. Amongst all the usual crap was &#39;A tribute to Benny and Duke&#39; by the Ray Davies Orchestra. Yay&#33;&#33; It features Mr Hawkshaw on the organ. I haven&#39;t had a chance to give it a proper listen as yet but I&#39;ve listened to Paganini Caprice XXIV which is pretty damn funky and reminds me a bit of that Organ Grinder track (although not as good). Does this show up often?
                              -Tom
                              not long grabbed me own copy of that baby...man, there were tears when the white label had to return chez Davies, let me tell you.....straight to &#39;Hadrians Wall&#39; Tom, its the business&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Ray is a stickler for keeping at least 2 copies of all his records for posterity, but with Benny &amp; the duke he only had one white label with the artwork for the sleeve not fixed on at all...he had no idea if it ever came out or not...the killer track is on a Castle CD comp of his from a couple of years back...enjoy&#33;&#33;&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X