The good vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good vibrations

A plea for some info on this LP, picked up at the weekend. It's on Ember, from 1972, a bizarre mix of 60s pop, soul & workingmen's club psych, some covers, a lot of originals (I assume) credited to M.Berry. The only info on the net seems to be that Intoxica want £15 for a scuffed copy - otherwise, a complete blankety-blank. Any ideas?

A good Saturday morning down the Cattle Market in Nottm, though - five Canadian Beatles LPs at £1 each, minty 'Terror' & 'Space Themes' LPs, the above, some Johnny Cash, a Right On Soul Hits, Donna Summer/George McCrae best ofs, Farquahr (strong West Coast/harmony effort on Elektra from 1971 - check 'Hanging On By A Thread' for lush sunshine pop), Jerry Van Rooyen comp on Crippled Dick, and a clutch of 45s including Blackbyrds, Ebeneezer Moog (brilliant takes on 'God rest ye Merry Gentlemen' & 'Silent Night', of all things), Martin Ford Orchestra, Stevie Wonder, Candlewick Green (Who Do You Think You Are?, as covered by St Etienne), Laurie Johnson's 'Echo 4-2' theme...and a comp called 'All Platinum' (featuring the likes of Whatanauts Band, Jesus Alvarez & Rimshots and Sylvia Robinson) all for just over the cost of one new CD from Virgin.
    Last edited by wayne; 02-03-2006, 11:10 AM.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Yay, Farquahr! I second your comment about 'Hanging On By A Thread' - a brilliant track. And the names: Barnswallow, Condor, Hummingbird and the other one. As if Farquhar wasn't bad enough!

As for the Ember LP, no definite ideas, but M. Berry could be the Rediffusion producer/MD Mike Berry (may be a pseudonym)....or possibly the actor/singer Mike Berry (from 'Are You Being Served'/'Worzel Gummidge' etc.) Or they could be the same person!

Fat lot of use I am....

Comment

The other Farquahr is Flamingo (not their real names, I'm guessing) though the one that really makes me smile is 'Jerry Ragovy' (who presumably refused to play). Good LP, though: lots of nice gear on there. As for M.Berry, doesn't seem to be the Mike Berry (of 'Tribute To Buddy Holly'/Worzel Gummidge fame) as it's not featured in the discogs on his offiial website, and doesn't seem like his sort of thing...but then again, who knows? The OG tracks are all published by The Sparta Florida Music Group,though, so dunno if that's any connection to the Rediffusion one.
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

barnswallow

The Fahrquar were a local group here in the Northeast in the 60s and 70s.
        Lots of "folk" songs. My personal favorites were "Streets of Montreal" and
        "My Eggs Don"t Taste the Same Without You"

Washiki

Comment

I've got that Ember record as well. I've always assumed M.Berry was the same Mike Berry who had the pop hits (and acted in Worzel Gummidge) but I guess its probably more likely that its the chap from Rediffusion.

That wasn't any help was it.
          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

How many lps have Farquhar got? I seem to remember Wayne you got one a while ago (charted it?) 'cos I followed the recomendation and got it too. I've seen it a fair few times since too.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by washiki
              The Fahrquar were a local group here in the Northeast in the 60s and 70s.
              Lots of "folk" songs. My personal favorites were "Streets of Montreal" and
              "My Eggs Don"t Taste the Same Without You"

Washiki
              That's interesting - there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about them. Any idea what they're up to these days?

Comment

farquahr

hey whats up. I am a huge farquahr fan. i am from wilmington vt. my old man was friends with them back in the 60s and 70s. they played all the time at the bars in our town. I was wondering if anyone knew if any of them were still alive and any way to contact them?? thanks

Comment

farquahr

hanging on by a thread-ace slice of groovy folk rock-cheap album and nice clean hair...a lot to be said for that
                  Rockwell
                  Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by fireredff49
                    hey whats up. I am a huge farquahr fan. i am from wilmington vt. my old man was friends with them back in the 60s and 70s. they played all the time at the bars in our town. I was wondering if anyone knew if any of them were still alive and any way to contact them?? thanks
                    Sorry, can't help you on what they're up to these days - though I'd like to know myself. I'd love to hear any memories you or your old man might have of them, though!

We never did get to the bottom of who The Good Vibrations were, did we?

Comment

Cripes, these old threads suddenly surfacing is like coming across an old passport photo at the back of a drawer...and I'm afraid the pedant in me felt obliged to edit out the weird typographical anomalies that often render old threads half-illegible...Funny, because only a couple of those finds are still in the collection - and the Good Vibrations was traded a long time ago on the board, but I can't remember who to offhand. Never did find out who was behind it, though.

Farquahr's Hanging On By A Thread still gets a few spins, mind, and you've just reminded me to put it on again - really good 'cheap-find' track that one! Anyway, while that S/T Elektra LP still turns up regularly and cheap (so often, I don't even bother picking it up anymore) I've yet to see a single other record by them, either on 45 or LP. Be interested to know if they really were a one-shot deal at Elektra, or if there's a follow-up that just had a smaller pressing. It would be odd if there hadn't been another LP, because the ubiquity of the S/T suggests it sold reasonably well at the time?

Anyway...I'm off (*goes all misty-eyed*) to remember some other ancient Saturday morning markets. "Aye, not like they were, tha'knows...ah remember when a chap could get an Intoxica LP f'less than t'price o'a pint...you young 'uns don't know tha'born...mind you, ah'd not be bothering wi' yer George Bensons an' Ebeneezer Moogs again, lad. Nowt on there f'me, like..." etc.
                      Last edited by wayne; 02-03-2006, 11:25 AM.

Comment

well, im workin on it and ill keep ya posted with anything i can find on them, thanks for the help

redin

Comment

One of the Farquahr

I too was a big fan and almost a "groupie" following them around Boston and Cape Cod. The following is some info I pulled off a web site.

Wright’s Mill Farm & Horizon Tours Presents
                          our 2006 Bus Tour Calendar of Events

Saturday
                          Sunday
                          April 1&2
                          11:00 am - 3:00 pm
                          Celebrate Easter: Red Hat Easter Bonnet Parade Day:
                          11:00 - 11:30 Coffee and Danish
                          11:30 - 12:30 Music and Line Dancing
                          (Visit our Red Hat Accessory Shop!)
                          12:00 - 2:00 Delicious Buffet Luncheon
                          1:30 - 2:00 Red Hat Easter Parade
                          2:00 - 3:00 Smash hit musical comdey “Out to Lunch” written by Doug Lappam aka (Barnswallow) of the musical group The Fabulous Farquahr !!!!!! Hold on to your Red Hats ladies! Funny and sentimental comedy about spreading waistlines, husbands, dating after 50, grandchildren, hope, love and much more.

Comment

Originally posted by mmcandrew
                            Funny and sentimental comedy about spreading waistlines, husbands, dating after 50, grandchildren, hope, love and much more.
                            Bet you could easily work 'Hanging On By A Thread' into that scenario, too!

Comment

Fabulous Farquahrs. Dennis MacGowan was Condor Farquahr, Doug Lapham was Barnswallow Farquahr, Frank MacGowan was Flamingo Farquahr, and Bobby MacGowan was Hummingbird Farquahr. They were great entertainers, who frequented a place called Charlie Bates Saloon on 1st Ave in the 70s in Manhattan, back in the late 1960s. I saw them many times. They had a great act, sang well, and had a lot of energy. Dennis and Frank have passed away. Don't know what happened to the other two.

Comment

Working...
                              X