Sugar loaf - soul strutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar loaf - soul strutting

Unearthed this LP at the weekend. Very nice instro soul covers - lots of funky keyboards, if I was going to sell it on ebay (which I'm not...yet) it would deffo be illmohawkshammondjiggyfunk.

Basially no info on it at all regarding players etc anyone got any ideas / info?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Don't know who they are but I remember dealers charging £70.00!!!! for it. (about £50.00 too much imo) I've got it & remember it was pretty good in parts. Doesnt turn up much round here. Are they not American as i remember a a similar various LP on RCA with some US artists on it?
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

If it's the Sugarloaf I'm thinking of, then they were a rock band from Denver. They had a couple of hits in the US, the biggest of which was Green-Eyed Lady, which was top 3 in 1970. It's a great record that was still getting plays on oldies radio when I lived over there. There's a long version on an album which has lots of keyboard vamps and instrumental passages. They also had another hit later in the 70s, but that's all I know about them.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

As far as I can tell it's NOT the same Sugarloaf, who were on Liberty if I remember corrrectly. Even though it states on the liner notes that they are "popular around the American Air bases", they sound pretty British to me... If you check the writing credits of the rather excellent original compositions (Soul Walk, Hard Down), you'll find it's Tony Evans who's behind this project - think he also crops up on Redifusion titles.

A very nice album indeed - you didn't pick this up in the northern region of Scotland by any chance?
        There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Hi LDJB,

'fraid I can't add much in the way of "who are Sugar Loaf" in addition to what has already been said - but, in agreement with Boney V, it is way overpriced by dealers and does sell well via eBay (usually to Japan...) for upwards of 50 sheets. Again, I reckon twenty quid is a fairer pricer if it's minty.

Very rarely shows up, I've only seen two copies in the last 5 years...
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ Oct. 20 2003,10:08)]If you check the writing credits of the rather excellent original compositions (Soul Walk, Hard Down), you'll find it's Tony Evans who's behind this project - think he also crops up on Redifusion titles.
            The Tony Evans who does all the strict tempo ballroom dancing LPs? Blimey, he kept that quiet!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]A very nice album indeed - you didn't pick this up in the northern region of Scotland by any chance?
              .....erm....might have wasn't on your patch Mr D - honest.

Cheers for all the info fellas.
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
              X