Erotica expert required...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erotica expert required...

I picked up the UK press (on Major Minor) of 'Erotica/Sexologie' by Rita not so long ago at the boot. 50p well spent and while the A side is imho ok-ish, the flip was something I played quite alot.

Anyway, saw a German press on eBay for €2 and thought it would make a useful trade, so I bought it. Anyway, upon arrival it is an 80's re-issue (which the seller really should have mentioned), but I went straight to the flip side to play what was billed as 'Sexologie', only to find a different track entirely. Obviously from the same period (1969) and of the same type of sound, but a totally different song.

Now they *both* can't be called the same thing, so can anybody shed any light on this confusion ?
    Matt Hero

Don't know if that's the case here, but a lot of euro stuff was re-recorded or remade for the different markets, so I suppose it's possible that there are several 'Sexologies' floating about, all recorded at the same time, but in different languages, with different backings/players etc. Only ever heard the one 'Sexologie' on a comp, but France Gall did loads of 60s releases for the German market that are completely different to her French stuff...Sometimes the same track with different lyrics or title, sometimes a totally new track (admittedly, not usually called the same thing as a French release...). Sounds like it might be a case of something like this going on, anyway...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Most likely the case Wayne, of course in this case both versions of 'Sexologie' are instrumental.

Certainly, if you are looking to get for instance, a copy of Samantha Jones's 'Ford Leads The Way', there is a nice uptempo soul version (which apparently was on the 'Pop Shopping' comp) and also a much 'easy'-er slow vocal take, which is less desirable. Different versions were distributed to different Ford markets depending on perceived taste.
      Matt Hero

Comment

Not so sure of my ground here, but someone else (Lord Thames?) might know if there were also licensing issues for national markets, MU type rules etc that sometimes required re-recordings... Like you say, it happens with stuff regardless of language-issues, and the Rita track hardly has a language barrier to deal with...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I've seen that record for varying prices, all a bit too high imo... what's a fair cop for this?
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Oct. 23 2003,17:48)]I've seen that record for varying prices, all a bit too high imo... what's a fair cop for this?
            a tenner would be a pretty good find. it seems to go for anything between nuffink and 40 quid!
            http://www.blaxploitation.com
            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Any chance of composer/publisher/producer info? I'll see if that rings any bells.

Also, speaking of rude records, does anyone know of a track called 'Lonely Love' by Christine Liebling? The backing track (sans Ms Liebling getting rather excited) was used on the test card in the 70s, and I wonder whether it got a proper release!

Comment

Lord Thames,

The credits on both 'versions' are Barclay/Borly, the Major Minor pressing staest publisher as Tee Pee/ B.I.E.M, while the German Barclay pressing doesn't state a publisher.

The writing credits for 'Erotica' for completeness' sake are Porterie/Groscolas on both versions.

Now, off to compare to Man's 'Erotica'.....
                Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Oct. 23 2003,19:46)]Now, off to compare to Man's 'Erotica'.....
                  Which, on listening to 'The Golden Hour Of Man', is different to Rita's...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Didnt erotica also come out on 'Jag'?

*Edit.

RITA      'SUPER-EROTICA' / 'MAKE LOVE TO ME'     (Jag)    Fra-69

I'm confused. Thats the one I have. Does the lp have these tracks?....need coffeee....
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

What&#39;s confusing me even more is someone told me that Rita is Rita Lee from Os Mutantes. I think the logic being that the Erotica LP was issued in Brazil, so this might be the original. Surely it&#39;s a European thing, or more specifically french? And presumably the alternate flipside must be a track off the LP?
                      There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

i have the &quot;super erotico&quot; album, issued in brazil (that i&#39;m trying to find out more about). i posted about this on monday but no-one answered. could this be part of the puzzle?  

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ Oct. 24 2003,11:40)]What&#39;s confusing me even more is someone told me that Rita is Rita Lee from Os Mutantes. I think the logic being that the Erotica LP was issued in Brazil, so this might be the original. Surely it&#39;s a European thing, or more specifically french? And presumably the alternate flipside must be a track off the LP?
                          I&#39;ll need to check but I think the actual &#39;vocals&#39; on the Rita and Man versions are the same, and John Schroeder claimed that they were performed for real by a lady they recruited just after closing time down the pub... Which would mean it isn&#39;t Rita Lee (unless she&#39;d decided on a change of career).

Talking of Rita&#39;s, can anyone substantiate Soul Brother&#39;s claims on the sleeve notes of &#39;The Wants List&#39; that state definitively that Rita &#39;Touch Me, Take Me&#39; Wright isn&#39;t Syreeta???
                          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I&#39;m not really sure why Syreeta would cut a track in the UK for ELOs label. But then maybe it was withdrawn... I noticed the other day that Ester Byrde (of Touch Me, Take Me on Survival &quot;fame&quot did backing vocals on the first Orange Juice LP. Err, I&#39;ll get me coat.
                            There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ Oct. 24 2003,11:57)]I&#39;m not really sure why Syreeta would cut a track in the UK for ELOs label. But then maybe it was withdrawn... I noticed the other day that Ester Byrde (of Touch Me, Take Me on Survival &quot;fame&quot did backing vocals on the first Orange Juice LP. Err, I&#39;ll get me coat.
                              Syreeta lived in the UK for a long time, (matter of fact I believe she still lives in London?), so it wouldn&#39;t be beyoned the bounds of possibilty.    But Ester Byrde eh? I was sure that name was a &#39;creation&#39; of Survival and not a real person.  Very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X