Alan moorhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan moorhouse

Apart from Bond Street Brigade, I have come across two more Alan Moorhouse albums featuring the lass with nothing but a red tunic to preserve her modesty, with titles like "Hits Of Today In The Swinging Military Style". Since "Funky Fever" is far removed from anything else on Bond Street Brigade, is it safe to assume that the rest of these records contain nothing but marching band pap, or is there anything else worth having? The only promising title is Moorhouse's own "Rock & Roll March"... but it doesn't sound funky.
    It ain't shakey

dont!!!! they are shite!!! there is another Moorhouse one on EMI One UP, that i cant remember the title of, that flatters to deceive as well...i would reccomend Tijuana Nursery Rhymes on mfp though!

Comment

Chris -

You would recommend an album entitled "Tijuana Nursery Rhymes" ? ? ?

Have you been toking the mind leaves again, bro ? ? ?

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

talking of Moorhouse, i picked up two 'soul hits' covers comps the other day:

- Soul Hits on MFP, with a male? chest on the cover. From 68, a BWD production. Some cracking covers on here, with brilliant drum production and even a tiny open break on 'Knock on wood'. Didn't Moorhouse do some of the production work on these comps?

- Soul Classics on SGA, good old Leo! One pretty tasty wah wah funky original on the flip side amongst mostly not-that-hot covers.
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Oct. 27 2003,11:57)]Chris -

You would recommend an album entitled "Tijuana Nursery Rhymes" ? ? ?

Have you been toking the mind leaves again, bro ? ? ?

No, i'm serious!!! its really quite good!!! full of very cheeky grooves of top kiddy funk...a cut above that Tijuana Christmas one...dont be frightened!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]- Soul Classics on SGA, good old Leo! One pretty tasty wah wah funky original on the flip side amongst mostly not-that-hot covers.
            Is that the one with the green lady on the cover or is it a new discovery?
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Oct. 27 2003,13:32)]Is that the one with the green lady on the cover or is it a new discovery?
              pretty sure it's the one on the site. from 1976. interestingly (to my ears) it seems like the funky track is from a different session, sounds much earlier than the rest of the album.

anyway, once the main site's up again i'll check the cover pics to make sure.

just checked the main siite (cheers Sermad&#33 and it is indeed Soul Hits from 1976. pretty ropey production all round, except for Cyclone Blues... good to see it was indeed from another session! phew!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (theeman @ Oct. 27 2003,12:07)]- Soul Hits on MFP, with a male? chest on the cover. From 68, a BWD production. Some cracking covers on here, with brilliant drum production and even a tiny open break on 'Knock on wood'. Didn't Moorhouse do some of the production work on these comps?
                This is actually arranged and conducted by Johnny Harris - compare and contrast with the arrangements on side one of Tom Jones' excellent '13 Smash Hits' LP.

Alan Moorhouse did do a few MFP 'Hits' LPs though - 'Hits 68' is one of his.

Comment

Okay (prepares for a kicking...) i quite like the Moorhouse KPM
                  christmas lp from '69.

go on then stick the boot in!, form an orderly line.
                  derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (mundayschild @ Oct. 27 2003,22:42)]Okay (prepares for a kicking...) i quite like the Moorhouse KPM
                    christmas lp from '69.

go on then stick the boot in!, form an orderly line.
                    have you heard the Moorhouse 'Tijuana Christmas' LP? it's brilliant, on MFP and a couple of other labels (weirdly, same cover). totally cheesy but really well played, arranged and produced. also check Cyril Ornadel's 'Four Seasons' LP for two superb funky arrangements of Xmas-related tunes.

mundayschild, have you got those tracks recorded on CD, tape, minidisc or whatever? a stoopid Vulture plan is forming

Comment

The best Moorhouse 'Tijuana Style' LP is 'Hymns Tijuana Style' - it's fantastic! I want to use 'All Things Bright And Beautiful' as a theme tune for a sitcom! Look out for it.

A while back a friend of mine was trying to sort out a CD reissue of 'Tijuana Nursery Rhymes' with Bill Wellings' widow (who now owns the rights) - I don't know how far he got with it, but I hope it's still a going concern. Finding a copy that isn't knackered with the cover coloured in is hard enough, never mind trying to get the master tapes.......

Comment

I can't remember which album it is from but he has a groovy version of "My Way"!
                        I'll pick it up if anybody wants it.

Comment

E man, no mate, i aint got 'em on cd but maybe we could sort summat out, drop me a line fella! (i like your idea&#33.
                          Lord Thames (how ya doin'?), cheers fer the reccomendation,
                          i'll keep 'em peeled.

I stand by what i say though it's fairly funky for a chrimbo lp,
                          helped by the fact that i scored it at a local booter in the summer for 50p! yes!.
                          derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post

A while back a friend of mine was trying to sort out a CD reissue of 'Tijuana Nursery Rhymes' with Bill Wellings' widow (who now owns the rights) - I don't know how far he got with it, but I hope it's still a going concern. Finding a copy that isn't knackered with the cover coloured in is hard enough, never mind trying to get the master tapes.......
                            I don't suppose anything came of this, did it? I'm trying to get hold of a copy of 'Tijuana Nursery Rhymes' (sorry, nostalgia kick, it was a much-beloved record of my childhood that my dad threw out for some reason). Does anyone have a spare, or better yet, mp3s?

Many thanks and sorry for the 'drive-by' posting.

--
                            Alison

Comment

I (bizarrely) have several tracks already MP3'd and could send you a CDr and a copy of the LP at the weekend.

Nostalgia's great innit?
                              <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Working...
                              X