Drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drops

Picked up a copy of this 1968 LP on Polydor today, & my, it's a bit odd. Hypercharged electronically-treated piano over drums, horns, fuzz guitar etc etc...very peculiar. Judging by the song credits there are a high quota of Germans involved but I'm quite perplexed: what the hell is this?? On first listen, though, some very cool oddball stuff on here...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Yes, I've had this one for a while - not funky, but good stuff nonetheless. Some of the originals would make good theme tunes!

I suspect, given that he composed a few tracks, this is the work of German composer/arranger/conductor Horst Wende (who, incidentally, is also the true identity of Polydor label-mate Roberto Delgado&#33

Comment

Ah, that'd make sense...I was wondering (on no evidence but the presence of ads on the back of the sleeve for his other LPs) if Max Greger was behind it, but couldn't see his name anywhere in the credits. Robert Delgado would make sense. Like this one so far, though - like you say, more 'exotica' than 'funk', but exotica played as though it is funk!
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

...well, maybe not 'exotica played as funk' too often, as the hyperactive piano gets a bit irritating when you listen to more than a track or two, which I hadn't when I first posted. Still, a good 'un for the fuzz guitar almost-funky 'Temptation' (sounds like the Brown credited as writer might be James), a very cool cod-oriental thingy called 'Tea House Moon' and a nifty bit of cheesy lounge scat on 'Tweedlee Dee' (credited to Scott - would this be Johnny of Nationwide/Bravo Brasso fame?) Quite like the take on 'La Mer' here too...worth a punt for pence, as they say!

Comment

Working...
        X