More john schroeder business.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More john schroeder business.

Whilst out with the family today, scooped a few lp's from some charities, amongst the pile, an lp called 'Galloping home,
    14 top TV themes' on Polydor from '74.
    Music contained within sees covers of the usual suspects
    like yer 'Colditz', 'Sleepy shores' and 'Hawaii five-o'.
    The alternative to this is that there are some rather fab tracks in the shape of two great John Barry tracks, 'The adventurer' (much fuzz bass, nifty tunage) and 'Orson Welles great mysteries' (fuzz guitar, fab synth bass).
    also present is 'Stone fox chase' (the Old grey whistle test theme) by Area Code 615 with loads of open breaks and percussion,
    and Mr Tew's 'The hanged man' ,the original. Good version of Tony Hatch's 'Man alive' (much funkier than the orig.) by Lee Williams. A version of 'Midweek theme' by Mr Johnny Scott (i think?)
    given a good going over by Mr Schroeder. In fact most of the tracks are produced/arranged by him and as such are rather good. soooo, who is Lee Williams? who are Area code 615 (i have other stuff by these guys but no info). and did Mr Schroeder do a lot of this type of covers thing?, does anyone else have this, if so what are your thoughts on it.
    To be honest i thought it'd be a bit dodgy, and here i am again
    pleasantly surprised.
    Nice!.
    Thanks, your help would be appreciated.
    derelicts of dialect

Lee Williams is something of a mystery - the only other thing I've been able to find by him is a 2-LP box set on Polydor called 'Hammond Party' (I think).

Area Code 615 were a group of well-known Nashville session musicians, who backed Bob Dylan on one of his albums.

Off the top of my head, I think some of the Schroder tracks come off his 'War And Peace and Other TV Themes' LP, which has arrangements by Harry Rabinowitz and Johnny Scott (Johnny gets to have another go at two of his own compositions, 'Midweek' and 'Nationwide&#39. The version of 'Nationwide' is also good, with Alf Bigden doing his usual insane thrashing on the drums!

Comment

Picked up a BBC themes double (a 1982 set called On The Air celebrating 60 years of broadcasting or something) and the version of Nationwide on there is by Johnny Scott & The Scottmen & has a title in parenthesis (The Good Word) which I assume might be its original library title? On the same LP, Pick Of The Pops is also listed as 'Sign Of The Swinging Cymbal' etc... Actually, this is a great double: starts with stuff like 'Its That Man Again' & has everything from Sooty, The Archers & 6-5 Special right up to Dallas & Juliet Bravo...A pound well spent, I reckon...
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Yep, that's the original, it's the title track from the LP. Unfortunately, that and a couple of other tracks on the 'On The Air' LPs are edited, but I certainly agree it's a great set (and I paid three quid for mine, so it'd have to be&#33

I've met Michael Barratt, you know.....nice bloke.

Comment

The Lee Williams I know is a Philly soul singer with some 45 releases on Carnival, like 'I Love You More' - probably not the same guy you mentioned...
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Thanks for the info chaps, Si, it sounds like the same guy a little more investigation needed on that front methinks.
            Wayne, typically i have that 'On air' set buried somewhere, now to find the bugger!.
            Nick, probably not the same fella, but cheers for the input anyways.
            The Area Code 615 guys seem to crop up on a number of library related releases, again more
            sluething required there.
            Many thanks for the illumination tho' lads.
            derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 01 2003,22:29)]Lee Williams is something of a mystery - the only other thing I've been able to find by him is a 2-LP box set on Polydor called 'Hammond Party' (I think).

Area Code 615 were a group of well-known Nashville session musicians, who backed Bob Dylan on one of his albums.

Off the top of my head,  I think some of the Schroder tracks come off his 'War And Peace and Other TV Themes' LP, which has arrangements by Harry Rabinowitz and Johnny Scott (Johnny gets to have another go at two of his own compositions, 'Midweek' and 'Nationwide&#39. The version of 'Nationwide' is also good, with Alf Bigden doing his usual insane thrashing on the drums!
              I'm pretty certain thet the 'Midweek' theme is from the 2nd LP in the Peer International series - not surprised it's Alf Bigden doing the drumming, that label usually used him or Tony Kinsey for their sessions.
              Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

While we're still talking about John Schroeder, could anyone tell me how much Working In A Soul Mine goes for usually? I nabbed a copy in a Grimsby charity shop last weekend. I've been looking for it ages but didn't expect to see it in a charity.
                http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Nov. 03 2003,10:20)]While we're still talking about John Schroeder, could anyone tell me how much Working In A Soul Mine goes for usually? I nabbed a copy in a Grimsby charity shop last weekend. I've been looking for it ages but didn't expect to see it in a charity.
                  Anywhere from about £20 up Bill. There's two different issues - the Pye/Picadilly came first and the Marble Arch edition came later (the cover pics are slightly different, in addition to the obvious Marble Arch white bordering), although this doesn't really appear to affect the street value. Personal faves are 'Loving You Girl' and 'Sunny', which I believe was 'inspired' by Billy Stewart's version...
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ Nov. 03 2003,07:53)]I'm pretty certain thet the 'Midweek' theme is from the 2nd LP in the Peer International series - not surprised it's Alf Bigden doing the drumming, that label usually used him or Tony Kinsey for their sessions.
                    I was referring to the Schroeder versions having Alf on skins, but it could well be him on the Peer versions too - I've not been able to work it out, actually!

Harold Fisher did a lot of drumming for Peer too, and some of the Johnny Scott stuff has some very nice work from the dream team of Barry Morgan and Herbie Flowers.

I reckon the Midweek theme was inspired by Johnny Scott's cover of 'Time Is Tight' on his 'Great Film Themes' LP. You can spot an embryonic version of the 'Nationwide' guitar riff on another track too!

Comment

Working...
                    X