Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz flutes

Hey Vultures.
    I was wondering if any of you can recommend some groovy flute rock bands or lp's. I recently picked up the de Wolfe lp POP SOUNDS by the Cool and it features some brilliant buzz flute work. Also the instrumental track HIGHWAY SONG was featured in the 70's brit sex film SEX AND THE OTHER WOMAN during a sex scene set in a two seater plane(!!!&#33.

David
    God bless Fatso.

John Cameron's 'Troublemaker' has some nice growl-flute (from the 'Off Centre' LP) as does Tubby Hayes funk rendition of' 'These Boots Are Made For Walking' (from 'The Orchestra' LP).

I love hearing about library music being used in 70s UK films - who was in "Sex and The Other Woman"?!

I saw a very bizarre 70s UK film the other day - "I Don't Want To Be Born", and it had an amazing funky soundtrack by Ron Grainer.
    Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Seatrain - Flute Thing
      Area Code 615 - Stone Fox Chase
      Jethro Tull - Living In The Past (just how groovy this is might be debatable)
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I'm really loving overblown flute affairs at the moment.

Pop sounds is easily one of my fave libraries. I was actually given these tracks on 7" which is very cool.

All time classic cut has to be 'shady blues' by lee mason on chappell. I'm sure jazzman reissued it on 7".

Knitting on a bossie is damn fine. Mp3 here.

Ive got a swiss 45 by a band called 'hoax'. Its a progressive/rock/hammond/flute/dancer and its brilliant. Its in my chart for this month (which isnt up yet sorry).
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I was listening to a comp CDR a guy I know did with the hilarious title of &quot;Flute Salad&quot;. There&#39;s a fair emount of obvious stuff liek Fool On the Hill, Nick Drake, Traffic and King Crimson but some interesting stuff with flutes from the like of Blues Project, De Groep and The Action.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

&#39;Flute salad&#39; was a name of a library track. Deffo got that somewhere.

Comment

&#39;flute salad&#39; is also a wicked flute track on the Ju-Par Orchestra&#39;s Moods &amp; Grooves rekkid...
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Nov. 03 2003,09:58)]Seatrain - Flute Thing
                Area Code 615 - Stone Fox Chase
                Jethro Tull - Living In The Past (just how groovy this is might be debatable)
                The Blues Project version of this is also good (and still eluding
                me at the right price)

Isis &#39;April Fool&#39; should fit the bill (not too buzzy but great funky rock).
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Is that on Buddah? Ive always wanted that lp but Ive never seen it in the uk and its so cheap I cant be bothered to get it from the states&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ Nov. 03 2003,07:58)]I love hearing about library music being used in 70s UK films - who was in &quot;Sex and The Other Woman&quot;?&#33;
                    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0339653/

The imdb incorrectly dates the film as 1980. Its actually around &#39;72/&#39;73. The film also features the track &quot;the Hawk&quot; also on &quot;Hogan, The Hawk &amp; Dirty John Crown&quot; De Wolfe.

Cheers,
                    David
                    God bless Fatso.

Comment

Harold Alexander &quot;Mama Soul&quot; (Flying Dutchman 45)
                      Harold McNair &quot;The Hipster&quot; (RCA 45)
                      James Rivers &quot;Bad Bad Whiskey&quot; (Eight Ball 45) - there&#39;s an MP3 here somewhere: www.soulgeneration.co.uk

Oops, just noticed it was LPs you wanted recommended...
                      There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

In terms of individual tracks:

&#39;Dharma&#39; and &#39;Canvas&#39; - Ekseption
                        &#39;It&#39;s Too Late&#39; - Bill Hutchins (from &#39;Easy Listening Special No. 1&#39; on Windmill)
                        &#39;Hot Pants&#39; - Alan Parker/Alan Hawkshaw (&#39;Flute For Moderns&#39;, KPM)
                        &#39;Mr Buzz&#39; - Piet van Meren (Pete Moore) (&#39;Contrasts&#39;, JW library)
                        &#39;Heavy Truckin&#39; - Simon Haseley
                        &#39;House Of The King&#39; - Focus
                        &#39;Lejaz Od Suza&#39; - Josipa Lisac (Yugoslavian vocal track, but with amazing flute solo)

The buzz flute sound seems to be very popular on Eastern European records for some reason - it turns up in places you frequently wouldn&#39;t expect.

Ekseption and Focus are also good value on the flute front.

Comment

I didn&#39;t know you were into dutch rock Lord T&#33; I think it was teddy rosso who tipped me to a great flutey Focus track. I think its on their &#39;Making Waves&#39; lp. Those lps are cheap as chips so its always worth a punt.

When you saw Eastern European I would go further east and check out Turkish prog&#33; I&#39;ll try and dig up some names when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (sermad @ Nov. 03 2003,11:40)]Is that on Buddah? Ive always wanted that lp but Ive never seen it in the uk and its so cheap I cant be bothered to get it from the states&#33;
                            Yep, that&#39;s the one. &#39;April Fool&#39;&#39;s the best track but &#39;Do The Football&#39; is also pretty good. Shouldn&#39;t set you back too much (and if you&#39;re into naked women sprayed silver)...
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

The first CCS LP has some nice flute bothering from Mr McNair, also the self titled L.A. lp has some nice funky flute on it especially the track &quot;Walking Down the Road&quot; - I charted the LP a few months back.
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X