Weekend digs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend digs...

...well, not quite. But turned up a Power Pack 'Soul Cure' for 25p! And some other stuff as follows:

LP:
    Various: Ric-Tic Relics (Motown) [great 1968 motown comp of ric-tic label soul: superb stuff]
    Modern Jazz Quartet/Laurindo Almeida: Concert (Philips) [cool vibes based jazz]
    Roberta Flack: Blue Lights In The Basement (Atlantic)
    Johnny Spence & Johnny Scott: Bravo Brasso (Studio 2)
    Stan Reynolds: Christmas Brass (Marble Arch) [a bit like Len Hunter Collection, but with carols]
    Petula Clark: The Best Of Petula Clark (Pye, 1969)
    Various: On The Air: 60 Years Of BBC Theme Music (BBC double LP, 1982) [Nationwide, Tomorrow's World, Pick Of The Pops etc]
    Various: Electronic Organs Today Vol.2 (Ad-Rhythm) [Hal Vincent 'Funky Nashville, Harry Stoneham 'Come Fly With Me']
    Help Yourself To Hammond (Deacon) [Venus, Je t'aime, Proud Mary etc]
    Brian Sharp: Plays Mainly Hammond (Grosvenor) [Aquarius]
    Ian Thomas: S/T (Janus Records, 1973) [CSNY style west coast stuff ]
    Dee Edwards: Two Hearts Are Better than One (Cotillion, 1980) [late 70s funk-disco stuff]
    Wee Gee: Hold On (To Your Dreams) (Cotillion, 1979) [late 70s Detroit disco/funk business featuring Dennis Coffey on guitar, apparently...]

12inch:
    Johnny Chingas: Phone Home (CBS)
    Little Benny & The Masters: Who Comes To Boogie (10/Bluebird)
    Smiley Culture: Police Officer/Shan-a-Shan (Fashion)
    Nightlife Unlimited: Disco Choo Choo/Precious Moments (Casablanca 12inch)

45:
    Fairport Convention: Genesis Hall/Si Tu Dois Partir (Island)
    Jackson 5: Doctor My Eyes/My Little Baby (Motown)
    Bob Lind: Elusive Butterfly/Cheryl's Goin Home (Fontana)
    Johnny Cash: San Quentin/A Boy Named Sue (CBS)
    James Taylor: Fire and Rain/Sunny Skies (Warner Bros)
    Labi Siffre: It Must Be Love/To Find Love (Pye)
    Tom Jones: Looking Out My Window/A Minute Of Your Time (Decca)
    Jess Conrad: Crystal Ball Dream/Pussycat (President)
    Les Crane: Desiderata/A Different Drummer (Warner Bros) [funky snare, telephone & drill loops on flip]
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

I only found this:
    "Rare Earth in concert"
    Never actually liked their stuff, but this one is packed with jazz-funk jamming. Awesome!

Comment

The last few days have been fairly productive. After foolishly wearing new skate trainers to dig my way through towns I'm not familiar with and finishing the day with blisters and a gob on, I grabbed:

LPs:
      Johnny Harris 'All To Bring You Morning'
      Lani Hall 'Sundown Lady' (Love Song)
      John Dankworth 'Facade'
      Hurricane Smith 'Don't Let It Die' (Break)
      Fausto Papetti 'Best of...' ('Dock of the Bay' - huge break)
      Bugs Bunny 'Comes To London'
      Readers Digest 'TV Music Spectacular' (own up, who is it keeps leaving these behind with just LP 4 - 'Thrillers' missing, you fuckers?!! I found 3 boxes of this, and just one complete&#33
      James Gang 'Best of...'
      Jamey Aebersold 'Nothin But The Blues' ('Mr Super Hip&#39
      Jamey Aebersold 'Time To Play Music (Jazz & Rock)' (Ace tune called 'Snap Crackle & Pop)
      Jamey Aebersold 'Improvisations in G'

But the weekend was made by a Salvation Army charity shop having a lovely condition, boxed Grandstand 'Scramble' game for £3. The batteries went in and it was straight into action. Sadly, 21 years on and I'm still shite at it.

Benicio
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I'm too poor to go digging at the minute but I did get a bunch of CDs from Lee (Cheers mate) which is great BUT now I have a whole bunch of new records I want goddammitt!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (wayne @ Nov. 03 2003,11:54)]...well, not quite. But turned up a Power Pack 'Soul Cure' for 25p!
          Who needs a Moody if you can that for 25p!  If you can get four 'Soul Cures' for the price of Mark's 'Gentle Rain'...

I only picked up a spare She Rockers '...From London' and the Diana Ross with the Supremes and the Temptations LP with 'Funky Broadway'.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Nov. 03 2003,14:29)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (wayne @ Nov. 03 2003,11:54)]...well, not quite. But turned up a Power Pack 'Soul Cure' for 25p!
            Who needs a Moody if you can that for 25p!  If you can get four 'Soul Cures' for the price of Mark's 'Gentle Rain'...
            I've still not heard 'Gentle Rain' - but I'd be suprised if it is a better listening LP than 'Soul Cure'.....
            Matt Hero

Comment

Actually one piece of super goodness did arrive in the post at the weekend. It wasn't 25p though.

Comment

'Soul Cure' is not just a great start-to-finish LP in its own right, it's one I used to have (out of my mum's collection) & played to death as a nipper because I loved the horns etc. For years I had the vague memory of the white cover & bird in bikini & wondered what it was, but no trace of the copy back home & my mum replied to requests for 'the LP with the black woman in a bikini & red writing on it' with funny looks. Then saw it Sermad's chart the other month & thought 'that's it! yippee!' before realising I was unlikely to see a copy, ever...

So you can imagine my surprise on Saturday morning skimming through a 4 for a £1 pile of old Acker Bilk & Louis Armstrong to see the very thing...and I know now why tracks like 'Watermelon Man' always felt so damn familiar when I first heard them back in the early 90s...and, yes, it still does the business. Superb LP. Between that and the Motown Ric-Tic comp it's been a pretty darn soulful weekend at our house (well, if filling the cracks and sanding down the bedroom plasterwork can be soulful in any way at all...).

By the way, Matt, I've got a spare cd-r of 'Moody' kicking about somewhere if you want it...drop me an email with your address & I'll put it in the post.
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (wayne @ Nov. 03 2003,14:43)]'Soul Cure' is not just a great start-to-finish LP in its own right, it's one I used to have (out of my mum's collection) & played to death as a nipper because I loved the horns etc. For years I had the vague memory of the white cover & bird in bikini & wondered what it was, but no trace of the copy back home & my mum replied to requests for 'the LP with the black woman in a bikini & red writing on it' with funny looks. Then saw it Sermad's chart the other month & thought 'that's it! yippee!' before realising I was unlikely to see a copy, ever...

So you can imagine my surprise on Saturday morning skimming through a 4 for a £1 pile of old Acker Bilk & Louis Armstrong to see the very thing...and I know now why tracks like 'Watermelon Man' always felt so damn familiar when I first heard them back in the early 90s...and, yes, it still does the business. Superb LP. Between that and the Motown Ric-Tic comp it's been a pretty darn soulful weekend at our house (well, if filling the cracks and sanding down the bedroom plasterwork can be soulful in any way at all...).

By the way, Matt, I've got a spare cd-r of 'Moody' kicking about somewhere if you want it...drop me an email with your address & I'll put it in the post.
                  Your Mum bought a 'Soul Cure' - that's waaay too cool!

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Hey matt.

I can give you a cdr of moody when we meet.

If anyone has the soul cure 45 with 'oh calcutta' I would really really really like to trade for it.

OOOOOF. Blighty. Ive been after shogun assassin ever since nick played me it. I never realised it had a vinyl pressing! Ive got all the original 'lone wolf and cub' films on dvd. They were a tenner each in forbidden planet. All of them utter genius. Makes kill bill look like play school!
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 03 2003,14:42)]Actually one piece of super goodness did arrive in the post at the weekend. It wasn&#39;t 25p though.

Lone Wolf&#39;s Theme (as heard on Serm &amp; I&#39;s Resonance show): whadda toon&#33; and the film kick&#39;s Kill Bill&#39;s ass&#33;
                      http://wakeupanddie.com
                      http://weirdgearnyc.com
                      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Nov. 03 2003,15:23)]Lone Wolf&#39;s Theme (as heard on Serm &amp; I&#39;s Resonance show): whadda toon&#33; and the film kick&#39;s Kill Bill&#39;s ass&#33;
                        That&#39;s where I first heard it, Nick. I&#39;m a latecomer to this film but I&#39;ve been searching for the mad kung fu film that the Gza used on Liquid Swords since the album came out. The film blew me away. It&#39;s amazing. I haven&#39;t seen the original Lone Wolf and Cub films yet but I&#39;m planning to.

The soundtrack&#39;s quality. I&#39;ve been collecting a a lot of early eighties electronic stuff recently so this was a nice one to find. Plus you get the whole spoken word intro of the film as the first track. The place I got it from apparently has one sealed copy left so I&#39;ll PM you the details, sermad.

Comment

Thanks Blighty&#33;&#33;&#33;

Shame on me for not checking gemm&#33; The &#39;shogun assassin&#39; film is cut from the first two lone wolf films. I havent actually seen it but apparently they did a great job of re-cutting it and making it into a different film.
                          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

No worries. I got mine via www.musicstack.com because the record was a few dollars cheaper than on Gemm.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Nov. 03 2003,15:20)]I can give you a cdr of moody when we meet.

If anyone has the soul cure 45 with &#39;oh calcutta&#39; I would really really really like to trade for it.
                              That would be great   - it would save Wayne the postage.

I&#39;ll obviously keep &#39;em peeled for a copy of &#39;Oh &#33; Calcutta &#33;&#39; - my copy is a Turkish pressing on Polydor, with &#39;Soul Searchin&#39; on the flip. What was the flip of the UK pressing of &#39;Soul Searchin&#39; Rich ?

The other bits to look out for by The Power Pack (assuming that you&#39;ve not got them), are the &#39;Juliet Simpkins / Hannibal Brooks&#39; 45 - the flip suggests that it is taken from the soundtrack of the movie of the same name, which is a Michel Legrand OST I think, but I&#39;ve not checked out whether it is a cover or whether PP were involved somehow - and the rather poor Tim Rice penned &#39;Opposite Lock&#39; which appears on the Polydor &#39;Power Pop 69&#39; box set.

Once again, I emplore you to remember not to confuse them with &#39;The Power Pack Orchestra&#39; who are 1. *Much* later &amp; 2. Shite.
                              Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X