Mark duval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark duval

who on earth is mark duval? i've got an album on chappell called "music by pete moore" which is performed by mark duval and his orchestra.

i'm thinking that mark duval may be one of pete moore's aliases?

googling didn't help much - no real info on him to be found.

Im sure Ive got a fair few 'mark duvals' on chappell.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Isn&#39;t it explained in the liner notes on the Trunk Chappell comps?

Something to do with having to adopt foreign aliases to get extra work published in UK cos of a Musician&#39;s Union wrangle?

Je ne sais pas exactement.

Someone will have their comp to hand to shed some light,

Benicio
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

there&#39;s also mark duval and his music on chappell
        (but all the credits are from other well known library artists ??)

Comment

I would guess that Mark Duval is one of Chappell&#39;s house pseudonyms applied to various musical directors - Ole Jensen is another one (although Robert Farnon is known to have been behind a lot of the Jensen sessions.)

Other Chappell MDs had their own aliases - Paul Dupont = Roger Webb, Bunny J Browne = Johnny Hawksworth, Lee Mason = Pete Moore, Howard Shaw = Malcolm Lockyer, to name a few.  

I think James Clarke has said one Mark Duval LP featuring some of his compositions was MD&#39;d by Syd Dale.

I&#39;ll try and get a definitive answer on this and get back to you.

Comment

Loads of composers changed their names to something &#39;exotic&#39; to make the library more marketable (oh no not *another* so and so library). And also to hide the fact they were doing library work because it wasn&#39;t seen in high regard at the time.

MARK DUVAL &#39;AND HIS MUSIC&#39; (CHAPPELL LPC 1052)
            MARK DUVAL &#39;AND HIS MUSIC&#39; (CHAPPELL LPC 1058)
            MARK DUVAL &#39;AND HIS MUSIC&#39; (CHAPPELL LPC 1070)
            MARK DUVAL &#39;AND HIS MUSIC&#39; (CHAPPELL LPC 1076)
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

One of the Chappell&#39;s I&#39;ve got - &#39;Brass and Rhythms&#39; (1974) features guys such as Cy Payne, Johnny Hawksworth etc. and I&#39;m pretty certain it uses the Mark Duval pseudonym too.

Also, Dennis Berry (founder of the Conroy and Berry music libraries) recorded for Peer International under the name &#39;Peter Dennis&#39;. Now, does anyone know who on Peer International used the &#39;Frank Sterling&#39; pseudonym?
              Barry Morgan&#39;s brother is a driving instructor

Comment

&#39;Frank Sterling&#39; was Stuart Crombie and Dennis Berry - I found that out from Johnny Scott himself&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 04 2003,21:47)]&#39;Frank Sterling&#39; was Stuart Crombie and Dennis Berry - I found that out from Johnny Scott himself&#33;
                  Thanks Lord Thames. I&#39;m not surprised Frank Sterling was a pseudonym. Interesting though that it was used by two composers - I like some of Stuart Crombie&#39;s stuff on the Bosworth/Conroy series.
                  Barry Morgan&#39;s brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 04 2003,15:30)]Bunny J Browne = Johnny Hawksworth
                    Aha&#33; I&#39;ve got a couple of Parry LPs with Bunny J Browne credits, and one has a Hawksworth credit also - wondered who it was as they are by far the funkier cuts..
                    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                    X