The holly and the ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The holly and the ivy

Since the festive season is almost upon us, Mundayschild and I have been nattering about a VV Xmas mix.

Would anyone like to contribute? Since there are a million Xmas soul records, the only rule is that the artist or album should be non-USA and from typical Vulture selections, ie. car bootable, pretty funky, maybe a little cheesy, and most of all, fun. Should be from 1968-1978 ideally.

Contributions are welcome, preferably on CDR, cassette or minidisc from your original record. No MP3s please - provide the highest quality recordings you can make.

Personal message me through this board if you have a track to send and I'll give you the postal address. Alternatively, if you're coming to Brillo next week then bring your CDR or whatever down with you - so you've got the whole weekend to sort it!

Sorry in advance if you're track doesn't make it - it's just a bit of fun and Gareth and I will have the final say in what goes in - it's all about what else fits together well. We'll be stitching the tracks together in typically lame one-after-another style!

To start the ball rolling, we'll be using the Tijuana Xmas LP and maybe something off Ornadel's quality 'Four Seasons' record.
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Gunter Kallman's "Christmas Sing In" in which Nick Ingman provides a big groove version of "The Holy & The Ivy".

Is any part of hymn's a swingin christmassy? (still after this btw&#33.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (theeman @ Nov. 04 2003,16:49)]To start the ball rolling, we&#39;ll be using the Tijuana Xmas LP
      Does this have goodies on it then? I saw a copy today, debated parting with 50p for it but didn&#39;t bother. Also can I contributed some little xmas tracks I created myself last year?

Comment

Picked up one at the weekend by Stan Reynolds &amp; Orchestra called &#39;Christmas Brass&#39; (Marble Arch, 1970) which is very like the &#39;Swing Gently With Strauss&#39; things, only using carols, xmas songs etc. It&#39;ll probably be on my next trades list, actually, so if anyone&#39;s interested &amp; all that&#33; Another recent find is a 45 from 1975 by Ebeneezer Moog on Rocket, &#39;God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen&#39; (very cheesy) but the flip has a theremin version of &#39;Silent Night&#39; intercut with crackly commentary from the Apollo missions. Very cool, that one.

Hymns A Swinging, by the way, has more of a summery, Harvest Festival kind of vibe to it, so I&#39;m not sure there&#39;s much on there that&#39;d suit your purposes...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Everyone&#39;s welcome to chip in with contributions new and old, and let&#39;s face it there must be LOADS of possibilities for this. As Ed Stressed, it&#39;s only a bit of fun. So hoist up that &#39;ahem&#39;
          mistletoe, stick the mulled wine on, and get groovin&#39;&#33;.
          Oh, and dont forget to leave a mince pie and a glass of sherry out for Santa.
          Cheers&#33;. ::
          derelicts of dialect

Comment

Oh, and Sermad, Wayne and Blighty, thanks, some damn fine ideas there,
            thats exactly the kind of thing we need.
            Keep &#39;em comming&#33;.
            derelicts of dialect

Comment

&#39;Tijuana Christmas&#39; on Chevron by the Luis Gomez Mexican Brass (actually Pete Winslow) has a nice version of &#39;Drink To Me Only&#39; with a great organ solo (Don Reeve?). A bit late - 1979 - but not unworthy.

Also, Geoff Bastow&#39;s fuzz guitar take on &#39;God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen&#39; on Impress IA412 &#39;Merry Christmas&#39;.

If you&#39;re interested in these, let me know&#33;

Comment

this is exactly the sort of thing we&#39;re after&#33;

guys - can you provide tapes/cds/minidiscs? if you can, please email or personal message me for the contributions address.

obviously everyone who contributes will be fully credited when we put the mix up (somewhere)&#33;

Comment

There&#39;s a Muller Xmas thing (I think it might be those Hiltonaires again) which has a decent track on it - not exactly funky but kinda go-go if you know what I mean - I&#39;ll dig it out tonight.
                  I&#39;ve also got a Spanish Moog Xmas themed 45 - I&#39;ll get that one out too.
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

There have got to be some funky xmas library songs but I&#39;m not having a good day with the old mr memory at the moment&#33;
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Oh, should&#39;ve mentioned I can&#39;t do anything as hi-tech as cd-rs, minidiscs etc - if you needed the tracks, it&#39;d be plain C60/C90, or mailing you the actual vinyl&#33; And a second look hints that Stan Reynolds might be a non-UK (&#39;An Ambassador USA Production&#39 job. Even so, &#39;Christmas Candy&#39; is a nice little groover, and the vibes-jazz take on &#39;Jingle Bells&#39; is pretty cool...as is the cover. This Santa looks like she&#39;d be after a bit more than a mince pie &amp; a small glass of sherry, frankly...
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Stan himself is a true Brit, so you might be able to get away with it.

Plus, although it&#39;s an &#39;Ambassador USA&#39; production, it may have been done in the UK - just look at all those Muller &#39;Damil USA&#39; productions that were done in the UK, Germany etc.

Anyway, I want to hear some of this LP now - you&#39;ve got me all interested&#33;

Comment

Looks like another tape, then, Lord T

Comment

tapes are fine, no problem&#33; just email or message me for the contributions address.

and that LP, though a USA release, is just the sort of thing we&#39;re after.

Comment

Popped out to look throught the local charity shops Xmas LPs (that I normally ignore) and picked something that I&#39;ll pass on to you Ed @ Brillo.

Dali Caldis &amp; His Brazil Nuts - Swinging Xmas Dance Party (Deacon) arranged by Syd Dale. So far, a great &#39;Little Drummer Boy / Frosty The Snowman&#39; medley and hopefully more to come.

[Edit : Best version of &#39;Im Dreaming Of A White Christmas&#39; *ever* ]
                              Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X