Sending money.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending money.

...paid a European seller by wire transfer or direct debit?  Is it possible from a normal UK account?  Help??? (I'd phone the bank but obviously it's far too late for them to still be around...).

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

I don't think DD will work, but I did enquire with my bank about transferring money by wire to another one in a European Bank, and it was totally possible. However, unless you are transferring a very large quantity of money, the charges (which I think were somewhere around £25) make it not really worthwhile.

There *is* some interbank system between some countries - Germany, Italy among others - which makes this much easier, but as yet the UK clearing banks are not yet members.
    Matt Hero

Comment

I don't know what it is with German dealers, but they're mad for wire transfers over PayPal, which seems to verboten over there. I looked into this, and my bank told me it would cost about 12 quid and it would take up to two weeks. This seemed a bit slow for something so pricey, so I've continued with the default option of sending Euros through the post in a registered letter.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Germans (being one myself) transfer everything electronically. We do not call it wire-transfer though - that would be something you do when you have to send larger amounts internationally. The standard electronic transfer is completely free of charge and that's why the dealers there will prefer it over Paypal and Credit Cards.
        There are two commonly used ways in Germany: 1.) You send money to their account. This won't easily be possible from abroad unless you do an expensive wire transfer.
        2.) You give them authority to Direct Debit from your account. This won't be possible for them with your account being in a different country.

As far as I know there are some court cases pending in Europe that should make it possible for consumers to use banks in and between any Euro currency country and be treated as if they were conducting a domestic transaction.
        Until then, your only refuge seems to be Citibank who allows transfers between Citibank accounts in many European counties (including Britain), India and (as of recently) the States free of charges.

I have tried to do eBay auctions offering people to pay me via bank transfer (I have bank accounts in Germany (Euro), UK (Sterling) and US (Dollar) and only 2% of people were even able to figure out what to tell their bank what they wanted to do. For the time being, I think you will have to continue using cash, paypal, Western Union and cheques (checks).

By the way: One amazing thing is that people in Finland can cash UK Sterling cheques at their bank... Never understood why that's possible.

Comment

Do it through Paypal. Folks are always down on them, but do you realise how fuckin expensive it is to do it through a bank?
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

or do what I do if its for a small amount. Just wrap cash in some paper and post it.

Also you could call your bank and get a cheque made out in the foreign currency and then post them the cheque. This does take about 3 days to organise.

Another thing that a lot of people forget is that both Thomas cook and american express will transfer money to one of their branches world wide.

However nothing beats paypal
            Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

don't send a check the reviever will not get the total amount (bank cost)...in some banks

you can also send postal money order (wich works very good )
              it all depends on the amount...

Comment

I've had even small amounts of foreign currency go missing en-route to people in Europe, so I only send cash via the Royal Mail's 'Internation Signed For' service. The down side it that it does cost £3.30 on top of the standard air mail prices, but it does ensure that the cash does get there, and you've got a proof of posting if it comes to that.

PayPal, for all its faults, is a necessary evil when paying from eBay items. I just wish people would stop surcharging for it on top of auctions. I *know* is costs a seller, being one myself, but these are costs that you should factor into your starting price (along with packing materials).

For the first time I'm having to recover money via PayPal from a shady eBay seller (who for some reason blames me for the transaction going pear shaped) - so we'll see how well that goes... it should be another advantage of paying using that method.
                Matt Hero

Comment

I have to say, I've just bought myself a long spoon and put up my very first ebay auctions (too much stuff, not enough places to offload it to, if you can't beat 'em, etc) and I'm VERY impressed with Paypal! A guy in Japan, the US or Austria buys an LP (or an ITV digital monkey, or whatever) and the money's there, in sterling, within half a day of the auction ending - and the charges are vastly less than the airmail stamps would've cost. I can't (for once) find anything much to complain about with it - despite the various charges - and I'm usually Victor Meldrew to the power of ten, so that's gotta be worth something!
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

But Wayne, why would you be selling an ITV Digital Money ? Surely the prices for them are a bit low right now......
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Nov. 05 2003,11:21)]PayPal, for all its faults, is a necessary evil when paying from eBay items. I just wish people would stop surcharging for it on top of auctions. I *know* is costs a seller, being one myself, but these are costs that you should factor into your starting price (along with packing materials).
                      STOP!!! This tangent has been terminated on grounds of oh-no-not-again-aaarghhh!

Thanks for the tips guys.  As Bill guessed, it's a German purchase and it's good to have the clarification about the situation there Yemsky.  Communicating via Free Translate, while amusing, isn't necessarily straightforward.  Otherwise I'd simply have PayPal'd him straightaway without bothering you all...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Nov. 04 2003,12:36)]But Wayne, why would you be selling an ITV Digital Money ? Surely the prices for them are a bit low right now......
                        Like I say, too much stuff, not enough space...and brassic to boot. I picked him up for £1.99 and he went for £31.00, though, so even though prices have dipped he's done alright for himself, considering he has no box or tags. And he'll be happier where he's going... keeping him in a carrier bag in the airing cupboard was just cruel. I only bought it because it amused me to have it after doing an interview with Johnny Vegas 6 months before the ads ran...
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

£1.99 is a bargain though.... paid a bit more than that for mine. Maybe I'll have to see how much I can get for my 'ITV Digital' rebranding kit, sent out to all On Digital customers to stick on their boxes over the old branding. Got to be worth 50p of anybody's money
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Nov. 05 2003,11:21)]PayPal, for all its faults, is a necessary evil when paying from eBay items. I just wish people would stop surcharging for it on top of auctions. I *know* is costs a seller, being one myself, but these are costs that you should factor into your starting price (along with packing materials).

For the first time I'm having to recover money via PayPal from a shady eBay seller (who for some reason blames me for the transaction going pear shaped) - so we'll see how well that goes... it should be another advantage of paying using that method.
                            By the by... it's against paypal rules to charge a surcharge on top of an auction price just for using paypal. (because, think about it, no buyer would use it then) You might want to kindly email the seller and mention that they're going against paypal policy and they have two options, not charge you the surcharge OR you might report them to paypal and get their account pulled. Hmm, which do you think they'll go for?

I accept payment from overseas only by paypal or bidpay (if they really hate paypal). I don't need the headache of waiting 2 weeks for cash from wherever that may or may not come. Other sellers don't mind, but I like the fast turnaround: usually I have $ from an auction within a day, then deposited to my bank account in another day or two. I'll gladly pay %3 for paypal to take care of that side of things. (despite their faults and undefensibly poor customer service)

Comment

Yemsky: It is a strange thing about these bank transfers. As far as I know (and this is a fact) from 1.7.2003 onwards it became illegal to charge any more from a direct bank account transfer (account-to-account) to another EU member country than it would cost to transfer money internally in your own country. This is the case in Finland with the only restrictions being that the foreign bank account has to be stated in a certain international standardised form.

So: it will not cost me anything to transfer money to anybodys bank account anywhere in EU. However, people are really reluctant to accept these kind of payments. For instance German sellers won't give me their bank account numbers (as if I could do anything suspicious with them). Therefore I'm left with money in the post or paypal usually.

How come this is not used more in paying these kinds of purchases?

Comment

Working...
                              X