Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevie wonder cover versions

Hi

It's been a long time since i dropped by this place. But i've been reading you.

Anyway, because of a piece i'm doing on the Wonder of Stevie comp - done by Spinna & Bobbito - i would like you guys to help my memory by dropping suggestions of artists that have recorded stevie songs.

Can you help me please?

thanx

rui

Let's start with the Moogtastic "Hugo In Wonderland" LP by Hugo Montenegro, chock fulla Stevie with excellent takes on Superstition and Living For The City.
    You Are The Sunshine of my life has been covered by every easy cheesey vocal group you can think of.
    Ike & Tina do Living For The City.
    There is a "Song Remains The Same" article on Superstition on the main VV site.
    There are of course lots of jazz versions of his stuff, but I'd have to check...
    And I'm sure somebody will tip you off on the website that lists cover versions which was mentioned here just a few posts back..
    It ain't shakey

Comment

Shirley Scott - Superstition
      Southside Movement - Superstition
      Jose Feliciano - Golden Lady

....for starters

Comment

Bloody hell, this is pathetic:

Covers Project
        It ain't shakey

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Nov. 05 2003,16:44)]Bloody hell, this is pathetic:

Covers Project
          Yeah it should say "work in (very slow) process" somewhere...

Comment

My favourite Stevie Wonder cover is Superstition by Ray Davis & Button Down Brass and my favourite cover by Stevie Wonder is Light My Fire...
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Laso (Joe Bataan) "Another Star".

Also around the turn of the 70s, it was against international law for MOR artists not to include either "For Once in My Life" or "My Cherie Amour" on at least one LP.

Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Nov. 05 2003,17:26)]Also around the turn of the 70s, it was against international law for MOR artists not to include either "For Once in My Life" or "My Cherie Amour" on at least one LP.

Superseding the previous 'Aquarius', Let The Sunshine' or 'medley combo thereof' decree of the late 60's...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Nov. 05 2003,17:29)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Nov. 05 2003,17:26)]Also around the turn of the 70s, it was against international law for MOR artists not to include either "For Once in My Life" or "My Cherie Amour" on at least one LP.

Superseding the previous 'Aquarius', Let The Sunshine' or 'medley combo thereof' decree of the late 60's...

Yep, Stevie was gutted when Stephen Sondheim came up with "Send in the Clowns"...
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Nov. 05 2003,17:29)]
                    Originally posted by [b

Actually, THE tune of the 70s crooner (I know, I worked in several restaurants during this period and have served all the greats: Guys'N'Dolls, Alvin Stardust, Leo Sayer, Candlewick Green etc.) was this:

Come on over to my place!
                    Hey babe, we're having a party,
                    We'll be swinging, dancing and a singing
                    Come on over tonight.

Brings back memories of Tommy, an 80-year-old organist, who played at the Oaklands Country Club in Lincolnshire, dancing and swinging to that.
                    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Ronnie Foster turns out a v.tasty hammond version of 'Golden Lady' on his '74 Blue Note LP 'On The Avenue'.
                      I might have to dig that out for ...
                      Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

'Isn't She Lovely' - Limousine and the Neil Richardson Orchestra (BBC recording) - flippin' weird. Pretty good though.

'Superstition' - Sounds Orchestral
                        'For Once In My Life' - Sammy Davis Jr (He did a great version on 'This Is Tom Jones' on TV, did he do a record of this too?)
                        'My Cherie Amour' - Ronnie Aldrich and his two pianos (nice&#33
                        'My Cherie Amour' - Basil Henriques & the Waikiki Islanders

I bet Klaus Wunderlich has done 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'.

And then there's all the Top Of The Pops, Hot Hits etc.....

EDIT - that reminds me, the cover of Stevie's cover of 'We Can Work It Out' on the Avenue 'Tribute To Motown' LP. Nice bass work from Herbie Flowers on that one!

Comment

Nobody's mentioned 'You Are The Sunshine Of My Life' on 'Moody' yet, then? Or 'Uptight (Everything's Alright)' on 'Soul Cure'? On the latter song, pretty sure I've heard Latin and Booker T-ish hammond takes on it, too, but I can't remember the artists...Didn't Jose Feliciano do a couple of SW songs as well, somewhere in his catalogue? Or am I imagining it on the basis that it probably seems like that's the sort of thing he'd have done?
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Superwoman,by Harry Roche Constellation (from th lp 'Spiral&#39
                            As Per Lord Thames (nice one&#33 with the versh of 'Superstition" and the Ronnie Aldritch.
                            What about Mike Sammes singers version of 'You are the sunshine..'?
                            Nick is spot on about that 'Light my fire ' tho', in fact the whole lp that comes from (cannot recall the title) is pretty damn fine!.
                            Just to deviate slightly, Jack Jones' cover of 'Light...'
                            is ace!.
                            derelicts of dialect

Comment

Blimey - I didn't think anyone would back me up on the Aldrich! (The BBC recording is better than the Decca, IMHO)Ta, mundays (without whom I wouldn't have heard the Sounds Orchestral either&#33

Wayne's mention of 'Uptight' reminds me - the Second Generation.(My copy sadly knackered)
                              I think Henry Jerome may have done an instumental of it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X