Paul anka "anka"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul anka "anka"

Picked up this LP yesterday. The whole thing is arranged by John(ny) Harris, recorded at Muscle Shoals.

Its a good LP overall but the absolute stand out is "Love's a Lonely Song". You've got to hear this! Co-written by Messrs Harris and Anka. Starts off with solo guitar, just like "Light my fire" then goes into a fantastic midtempo funk arrangement that could have come straight off "Movements". For me, one of JH's best. Strong vocal from Mr Anka, too.

There's even a picture of the camera shy Mr H on the cover.
    Endless Tripe

excellent! will have to email you to get the details for the Johnny Harris page...

Comment

This seems to be cheap as chips and bloody everywhere. Got a cover shot?
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ Nov. 06 2003,14:17)]This seems to be cheap as chips and bloody everywhere. Got a cover shot?
        Sorry, no.

It shouldn&#39;t be too hard to find, I wouldn&#39;t have thought. I&#39;ll bring it with me to t&#39;Salmon on Monday if I can make it (got to go to Cardiff that day but I should be back in time).
        Endless Tripe

Comment

it probably is everywhere - i will have to keep my eyes open. but sometimes you need to see what the sleeve looks like first, before you start to notice something around...

Comment

&#39;Jubilations&#39; is also one to look out for. Another combination of the Anka man and Mr Harris. Good stuff too.
            derelicts of dialect

Comment

And &#39;Jubilation&#39; was covered by Herr Last on &#39;Well Kept Secret&#39; - very nicely too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (mundayschild @ Nov. 06 2003,20:15)]&#39;Jubilations&#39; is also one to look out for. Another combination of the Anka man and Mr Harris. Good stuff too.
                Aye, &#39;Jubilations&#39; is the one for me too, despite boasting one of the worst covers I&#39;ve ever seen (Mr Anka grimacing over his organ, as it were). But the title track is fabulous - the second half of the song is furious violin playing which bears no relation to the rest of the tune. It&#39;s great to check out JH&#39;s lesser known work like this from the period - ideas from one artist he works with invariably crop up in his other stuff.

Oh, and a public apology to Bongolia for not getting together my contributions for the Harris discography. It&#39;s been chaos up my end but I am working on it, I promise. . .
                The Pop Music Library

Comment

no worries, i&#39;ve not got round to taking photos of sleeves and stuff yet. at the moment there are some quite dodgy ones &#39;borrowed&#39; from the VV site.

besides Boogiejuice, i also had an email from Bill Parkinson who evidently was the guitarist on the &#39;Movements&#39; and &#39;Something&#39; LPs and not Mickey Gee as stated in the reissue sleevenotes. rest of the band were old faves Roger Coulam, Herbie Flowers and Harold Fisher. might email him and ask if he&#39;s got any interesting stories

Comment

Working...
                  X