The real funky gibbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real funky gibbon

I've asked this question a few times but to no avail.

a few years ago on one of those red nose day thingies the bbc were showing some of the best moments in comedy. I think they even said if enought people pledged money then they would show the funky gibbon by the goodies.

Anyway they got the money and showed the goodies live on top of the pops doing the funky gibbon. Anyhow in the middle section it kicks into this funky tenor sax solo which kinda makes the whole tune acceptable even approaching funky. I loved it. The album version doesnt even come close.

Has anyone ever seen/heard this version or even got a copy?

Just wondering. I've dropped this tune from the album at a couple of parties mid way through a funk set and all my mates just went beserk. Kinda made the night. In a funny kinda way.
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

I would imagine this came from 'The Goodies Almost Live', a special edition of the show where they perform live versions of some of their songs. Not been repeated since the seventies, I believe - but I suppose it might turn up on one of the DVDs.....eventually.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Bill Oddie is seriously good at writing funk. If only someone could find the session tapes for the TV show....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 06 2003,21:34)]I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Bill Oddie is seriously good at writing funk.  If only someone could find the session tapes for the TV show....
      ...and this statement after recent postings by BO over on Deepfunk........Hmmmmmmmm........
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 06 2003,21:34)]I&#39;ve said it before, and I&#39;ll say it again - Bill Oddie is seriously good at writing funk.  If only someone could find the session tapes for the TV show....
        i recently played a set at the &quot;in the city&quot; festival in manchester. mid-set i felt the need to play &quot;ride my pony&quot; from one of the goodies albums. that tune is to die for, seriously. lovely liquid funky guitar work and lush rhodes.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Nov. 06 2003,21:46)]
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 06 2003,21:34)]I&#39;ve said it before, and I&#39;ll say it again - Bill Oddie is seriously good at writing funk.  If only someone could find the session tapes for the TV show....
          ...and this statement after recent postings by BO over on Deepfunk........Hmmmmmmmm........    
          Oh, have I missed something here? I&#39;ll go and have a look at Deepfunk.......I&#39;m back&#33; All I can say is

And possibly

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 06 2003,21:34)]I would imagine this came from &#39;The Goodies Almost Live&#39;, a special edition of the show where they perform live versions of some of their songs. Not been repeated since the seventies, I believe - but I suppose it might turn up on one of the DVDs.....eventually.

I&#39;ve said it before, and I&#39;ll say it again - Bill Oddie is seriously good at writing funk.  If only someone could find the session tapes for the TV show....
            not heard of that album. Just love to play the odd wierd one occassionally and it sounds like that tune fits the bill oddy.

Actually the version I saw was live on top of the pops. Possibly even with a top of the pops backing band as they did that some times back in those days.

Looks like that may never turn up. Will keep an eye out for the live album though.
            Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Having the surname Gibbons- I have a nostalgic affinity with this thread.

My nickname at School was the &#39;Funky GibbonsÂ’; it obviously had an effect on my musical tastes. I liked the comedy and the music but I wasn&#39;t so keen on the nickname at the time, even to the point my Dad managed to get a tongue in cheek written apology from the trio at a book signing for bringing out that tune. ItÂ’s written in the inside of one of their annuals, IÂ’ll have to dig it out some time.

I wonder if Beth Gibbons had the same problems with the &#39;Funky Gibbons&#39; association?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (veris @ Nov. 07 2003,09:48)]Having the surname Gibbons- I have a nostalgic affinity with this thread.

My nickname at School was the &#39;Funky GibbonsÂ’; it obviously had an effect on my musical tastes. I liked the comedy and the music but I wasn&#39;t so keen on the nickname at the time, even to the point my Dad managed to get a tongue in cheek written apology from the trio at a book signing for bringing out that tune. ItÂ’s written in the inside of one of their annuals, IÂ’ll have to dig it out some time.

I wonder if Beth Gibbons had the same problems with the &#39;Funky Gibbons&#39; association?
                This should be the cue for Rich &#39;Funky&#39; Hero to tell us all the deep pain of also being a Gibbons.
                Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (eclipsechaser @ Nov. 07 2003,08:54)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 06 2003,21:34)]I would imagine this came from &#39;The Goodies Almost Live&#39;, a special edition of the show where they perform live versions of some of their songs. Not been repeated since the seventies, I believe - but I suppose it might turn up on one of the DVDs.....eventually.

I&#39;ve said it before, and I&#39;ll say it again - Bill Oddie is seriously good at writing funk.  If only someone could find the session tapes for the TV show....
                  not heard of that album.  Just love to play the odd wierd one occassionally and it sounds like that tune fits the bill oddy.  

Actually the version I saw was live on top of the pops.  Possibly even with a top of the pops backing band as they did that some times back in those days.  

Looks like that may never turn up.  Will keep an eye out for the live album though.
                  No, &#39;Almost Live&#39; was a TV show (though &#39;The New Goodies LP&#39; is also known under that title&#33. They had a top cast of session musicians doing the backing on it too.

There is also a TOTP performance with the Goodies backed by the Johnny Pearson orchestra, but that doesn&#39;t have the sax solo, so I&#39;m guessing &#39;Almost Live&#39; was the source.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Nov. 07 2003,09:57)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (veris @ Nov. 07 2003,09:48)]Having the surname Gibbons- I have a nostalgic affinity with this thread.

This should be the cue for Rich &#39;Funky&#39; Hero to tell us all the deep pain of also being a Gibbons.
                    &#39;Gibbo&#39; was normally as creative as anyone got, since singing the Goodies song rapidly played out for everyone, thankfully. But there was also &#39;Gisbourne&#39; for a while, when &#39;Robin Of Sherwood&#39; was on telly. Oh the horror...

And my Dad&#39;s name is Michael, and for a while my sister was going out with a Mike Gibbens, who had a brother called (wait for it...) Richard. And my Grandfather&#39;s name was Stanley (stamps, rekkids - it&#39;s all OCD).

It&#39;s a fine surname Veris.  
                    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                    X