Harold mcnair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harold mcnair

so, my latest obsession is harold mcnair. i was under the impression he contributed to most of the flute playing on the de wolfe back catalogue, but apparently he died in the very early 70s so maybe not.

anyway - picked up a copy of "the seven ages of man" on rediffusion. what an album, i would recommend it to anyone. especially for harold mcnair's contribution!

so, apart from this, what other harold gems are worth going for? what do people know about him? it seems good info on him is a bit scarce

obviously his Hipster LP is one to get, but a bit of a one tracker. i like his involvement on Bennett's wicked 'Illusrated London Noise' too.
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

He played on John Cameron's LP and his flute makes the Troublemaker track the standout

Comment

Whats flute n nut like?

ALBUMS:
        1 AFFECTIONATE FINK (Island ILP 926) 1965
        2 HAROLD MCNAIR (RCA SF 7969) 1968
        3 FENCE (B&C CAS 1016) 1970
        4 FLUTE AND NUT (RCA INTS 1096) 1970
        5 HAROLD MCNAIR (B&C CAS 1045) 1971

45:
        1 The Hipster/Indecision (RCA 1742) 1968

http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s....ml?http
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

A copy of &quot;Affectionate&quot; fetches £250+ when offered for sale.

I&#39;ve got &quot;self titled&quot;, &quot;The Fence&quot; and &quot;Flute &amp; Nut&quot;. And I would rate them in that exact order. As me and Towny were on about in a post last month, &quot;Flute &amp; Nut&quot; is a one-tracker - &quot;Burnt Amber&quot;

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

And don&#39;t forget the John Cameron &#39;Kes&#39; soundtrack - absolutely beautiful from start to finish, and worth the £££ even if it is only about 19 minutes long...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Harold McNair is one of the main players in CCS too
              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

I&#39;ve got &#39;The Fence&#39; which is nice, unfortunately most of his output is now fetching large dollops of cash, so be carefull.
                Godd hunting fella&#33;.
                Wayne is right about &#39;Kes&#39; tho&#39;. One word, beautifull.
                derelicts of dialect

Comment

I think I&#39;m right in saying he played on some of Syd Dale&#39;s sessions for KPM - it&#39;s interesting hearing his screeching flute set against nice swing music like &#39;Mr Bumble&#39; on &#39;Chorus And Orchestra&#39; (as sampled on that godawful &#39;Bad Babysitter&#39; record, though it took me a while to spot it&#33

Comment

I gather he&#39;s also on some of the John Martyn &amp; Donovan records from that late 60s/early 70s period, too: things like &#39;The Tumbler&#39; &amp; &#39;A Gift From A Flower To A Garden&#39;...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I think John Cameron arranged some of Donovan&#39;s stuff, so I suppose it&#39;s quite likely.

Comment

Yes he plays on a J.M track called &quot;dusty&quot; which you can pick up cheapo on a Island records sampler &#39;you can all join in&#39;.Cameron arranged a few tracks on Donovans Sunshine superman.Back to Harold i was lucky to pick up most of his albums before they hit silly money,he often shows up on brit jazz lps and weird singer song writer stuff.
                        -
                        You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                        but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (peter sundae @ Nov. 11 2003,12:28)]i was lucky to pick up most of his albums before they hit silly money
                          i forgot to mention you put a harold track on a cd for me some time ago&#33; excellent track, too. which reminds me, i owe you a cd.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (wooly @ Nov. 11 2003,16:52)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (peter sundae @ Nov. 11 2003,12:28)]i was lucky to pick up most of his albums before they hit silly money
                            i forgot to mention you put a harold track on a cd for me some time ago&#33; excellent track, too. which reminds me, i owe you a cd.  
                            Cheers wooly when you get some time a CDR copy of &#39;seven ages of man&#39; would do a treat
                            -
                            You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                            but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (peter sundae @ Nov. 11 2003,18:18)]Cheers wooly when you get some time a CDR copy of &#39;seven ages of man&#39; would do a treat
                              will do, my friend. no probs.

Comment

Working...
                              X