Best discovery of 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best discovery of 03

Over at Deepfunk there's a discussion about what discovery was who's favourite for of the year... it's typically elitist, nothing new there, but it does make me wonder what vultures rate as their personal discoveries of the year, real surprises... maybe already known by others, but new to you all the same...

Anyone?
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

You mean best find of the year? I havent found anything thats mega good for cheap so far. But its been a good solid year anyways.

Actually I did get Big Beat 1, Big Beat 2, Moody, Power House 5+4 and a chappell for £500.

And I sold the Big Beat 1 for 225, Beat Big 2 for 175, Power House for 70 and the chappell for 50.

Which meant I got 20 quid and a moody. Not bad eh

We should do a top 20 finds. then add it up and show your bank manager
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

for me and by no means expensive or rare just that i love it and got it for 20p :

funk the rich by malente
      Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Not sure of this is just the best thing you found or the most surprising. if the altter I&#39;d probably say the 7&quot; which seems to be the soundtrack of some movie by that guy that did El Topo (Jodorowsky I think). It&#39;s great and weird and mad and not something I was even aware of never mind expecting to find. Best somewhat straight forward find was a great Xian psych/funk mass record called The Toronto Mass as far as I can tell.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Sorry I was fuelled by deepfunk in my last post.

This year I went on a massive proper charity binge and I found more copies of the best sga&#39;s then I&#39;ve ever done previously. And I gave them all away.

Bet my mates were chuffed&#33;

Comment

Anything, that you&#39;d never heard of, or imagined would be amazing?
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Great topic...

Got to be honest, as Chris Vulture will verify (coz he was stood behind me at the time) I knew nothing about the Beginning Of The End album I found last month (in my Nov. chart&#33. I didn&#39;t think they&#39;d done a second album, and I certainly didn&#39;t think it was that rare... ooof &#33;

...best &quot;very well-known piece for cheap&quot; find was the Pazant Brothers &quot;Loose And Juicy&quot; for 50p, still sealed.

I&#39;ve also got one     , that is still subject to a press embargo....

There was also some excellent &quot;cheapy&quot; finds, excellent albums that, of the face of it ( or should that be cover of it &#33; ) should have been terrible. And vice versa. We&#39;ve found some bangin&#39; looking records with fantastic titles and ... wait for it... bag o&#39; shite &#33;

I just can&#39;t remember any of them right now...  

Blame it on the      
              If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Oddly SGA very rarely turns up in Irish charity shops, plenty of contour, mfp, TOTP and polydor (man did people here love ) but one copy of the Hiltonaires is all I&#39;ve spotted on the SGA front ... and I stayed well away from that. Probably too expensive to ship &#39;em over.

Actually reminds me of a question I;ve wodnered. There&#39;s at least 4 or 5 lps of his recorded in ireland over the years but I&#39;ve also seen Jimbo saluting the music of Canada - so does he just saturate every market with &quot;specially for you my peeps - your golden classics mangled&quot; type releases?
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Actually one (fairly new) discovery which you lot all should get is the &#39;theo schumann combo&#39; lp. I charted this a few months back and said you can get them off ebay for about a tenner.

Well sure enough there are copies every week for cheap and I just spotted one today on a certain dealers lists for £75&#33;&#33;

Comment

no new discovery, but my personal fave find (even though Teddy found it&#33 was that Dusty version of Spooky. it&#39;s such a lovely arrangement from a beautiful singer, and everyone who hears it responds positively to it.
                    http://www.blaxploitation.com
                    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

My favourite new personal discovery was the Benny Badekar OST.

My favourite cheap find was Viva Tirado by The Midas Touch on 45.

My favourite re-discovery after sorting out records when moving was You&#39;re The Fool by The Three Degrees.
                      records - one a week mixcloud
                      records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Nov. 07 2003,17:18)]My favourite new personal discovery was the Benny Badekar OST.
                        It was iueke who played me this about a year ago. Been crapping my pants for it ever since.

Comment

Not sure if it&#39;s my best find but I did get a cheap copy today of the Vampires of Dartmoore lp off of Gemm

Comment

Personally, it has to be the ten or so KPM&#39;s (that included
                            &#39;soul organ showcase&#39; and &#39;beat incidentall&#39 for a fiver,
                            AND the geezer called me up to get rid of &#39;em.
                            That&#39;ll never bloody happen again i&#39;m sure&#33;.
                            Law of providence or something.
                            derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Nov. 07 2003,23:27)]Actually I did get Big Beat 1, Big Beat 2, Moody, Power House 5+4 and a chappell for £500.

And I sold the Big Beat 1 for 225, Beat Big 2 for 175, Power House for 70 and the chappell for 50.

Which meant I got 20 quid and a moody. Not bad eh
                              I thought that talk of reselling &quot;X&quot; for a profit was something
                              that was done in your local pub

JD

Comment

Working...
                              X