This week i will mostly be being

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This week i will mostly be being

Uh, yes...think I woke up on Saturday mysteriously invested with some of our venerable digger's jamminess...up in Sherwood this afternoon, a half hour in the charities yielded:

Mel Lewis/Thad Jones: S/T (Blue Note Reissue Series) [dbl]
    John Gregory: Gregory Conducts (Philips)
    Chico Lopez: Fiesta (Windmill)
    Xavier Cugat: Cugat In Europe (Mercury)
    Sunjet Serenade Steelband: Steelband Spectacular - Sound Of The Caribbean (CBS)
    Ralph Dollimore: Piano Dimensions (Studio Two)
    Chase: S/T (Epic)
    Herbie Hancock: Chameleon (1983 Remix)/Autodrive (Long Version)/The Bomb (CBS 12inch)
    Nancy Sinatra: Movin With Nancy (Reprise)
    Pete Moore Orchestra: Exciting Sounds Of Tomorrow (Rediffusion)
    Amazing Blondel: Fantasia Lindum (Island)

Plus a few spares:

Paul Mauriat: Stereo Spectacular (Philips) [Etude...]
    Alan Moorhouse: Rock Gently With Beethoven Bach & Brahms (Contour) [Fur Elise]
    Alan Moorhouse: Bond St Brigade (MFP) [Funky Fever]

And a couple of punts:

Johnny Howard & His London Brass: S/T (Turnover) [promises Daydream, Mrs Robinson...and The Good Old Days?]
    The Midnight Sun Letkiss Jenka Band: Let's Kiss Kiss Kiss (Polydor) [WTF?? Could be anything...]
    Three Wize Men: GB Boyz (Rhythm King) [this rang a bell, but no idea why]
    Royal Canadian Mounted Police: Dynamic Sound (Polydor) [features a version of Superstar...]
    Malcolm Roberts: Where Did I Go Wrong/Next Dream With You (Major Minor 45) [well, looks extremely unpromising but is arranged by Johnny Harris...]

will check & report back on any earthshaking discoveries (none expected, mind)

Oh, & just to rub it in, a still sealed CD copy of the Ghana Soundz comp and Mr Bongo's Musica de Futebol...for 50p each.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Congratulations

Just don't venture down to my neck of the woods!! (Get it....Sherwood....forest....woods )

Comment

wayne, is the pete moore for trades?

Comment

Which 'Daydream' is it on the Johnny Howard, Wayne? Is it the Gunter Kallman/Wallace Collection etc. tune or something else?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

^Gotta catch 'em all.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 13 2003,10:19)]^Gotta catch 'em all.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

you got the Pourcell one, Rich?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Nov. 13 2003,11:01)]you got the Pourcell one, Rich?
                Yep. And...

Wallace Collection
                Baker Street Philharmonic
                GKC (of course&#33
                Ronnie Aldrich

One more still to find (but I'm not telling until I do )...

Comment

What about that Dusty Fingers version?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 13 2003,12:03)]What about that Dusty Fingers version?
                    Oh, the Bernard Wystraete version?  Bugger, I'd forgotten about that (not that I've heard it yet?). Make it two more then...

Comment

Not the Gunther Kallmann Daydream, but the Lovin Spoonful one instead. Bit of a disappointment, that...That said, there's some nice vibes on Mrs Robinson & Maxwell's Silver Hammer...very late night Radio 2 stuff, though...

The 45 (arr by Johnny Harris) is rubbish.

The Mounted Police do an OK job on 'Superstar', but the best bit crops up in the final segment of the 1st track, 'Mini Suite', which gets proper lounge-funky for about about a minute and a half, and there's a nice little party-exotica cut called El Cumbanchero on there, too, with lots of Mounties whooping & stomping along...otherwise, military band guff, mostly.

Oh, and the Jenka Letkiss one is weird - sort of nice arrangements, but pervaded by this bloody irritating oompah type beat. Bizarre scandinavian dance fad alert.

Remembered why GB Boyz rang that bell, too - 'Cruising For A Bruising'. Decent UK knock off of the Beasties' 'Licenced To Ill' there...How does my memory hold onto this stuff? Actually, not too bad in places - very derivative, but lots of mockney rapping for your plentiful amusement!
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (wayne @ Nov. 13 2003,12:56)]Not the Gunther Kallmann Daydream, but the Lovin Spoonful one instead.
                        Cheers for the info! I've made that mistake before too. The GKC song has four writers I think (all the members of the Wallace Collection presumably) which I can't remember off the top of my head but sound Belgian when you read them...

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]Remembered why GB Boyz rang that bell, too - 'Cruising For A Bruising'.
                        And that sounds like it should be a G.A.Y. anthem...

Comment

Rich, would your version be by a performer with the initials GJ?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 13 2003,14:14)]Rich, would your version be by a performer with the initials GJ?
                            No, RR. Sounds like the wantslist is getting longer again...

Comment

Working...
                            X