X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My recent finds

Hi all,

I picked up these recently

BILL JUSTIS - BILL JUSTIS - Evergreens on aussie Rainbow records (dull covers of pop hits from '65)
    RIGHT ON! - THE ROYAL HEIRS - Word Records (christian gospel)
    MAN WITH A MESSAGE - REX HUMBARD - (no label) Two sermons!
    SOUNDS LIKE SWINGIN - GARRY BLAKE - EMI
    AUDIO FAIR SAMPLER - VARIOUS - Philips (contains one side CLASSICAL second side SOLID EZY STUFF featuring an incredible take on SCARBOROIGH FAIR by HARRY SOUTH. Also has MISSION IMPOSSIBLE by RAY McVAY)
    AUDIO FIDELITY STEREO SHOWCASE - VARIOUS - Audio Fidelity (pretty cool lounge tracks including THE BAZAAR by THE SEVEN PLAYERS)
    HISTORY OF SOUL - THE SOULMATES - Windmill Records (whats the story behind this label anyone?)
    A KNIGHT AT THE ORGAN - SIR JULIAN - Rca Records

Cheers,
    David
    God bless Fatso.

if i remember, McVay's Mission Impossible is on the 'Show Case' LP which isn't too bad (Aquarius, Time Is Tight, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (soundsville @ Nov. 13 2003,10:45)]HISTORY OF SOUL - THE SOULMATES - Windmill Records (whats the story behind this label anyone?)
      Windmill records were a British budget cheapo label, formed out of the ashes of the earler Deacon label (and later they turned into Chevron, where they saw out most of the 1980s).

They mainly did LPs of cover versions, like the Soulmates LP (great version of 'Simple Game' on that one&#33, and most of their stuff was licenced from independent producers like Coombe Music and Syd Dale's Beatt International.

I think legendary reggae producer Siggy Jackson may have been in charge of the label - if anyone could supply details of his current whereabouts, that would come in very useful!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Nov. 13 2003,14:52)]Windmill records were a British budget cheapo label, formed out of the ashes of the earler Deacon label (and later they turned into Chevron, where they saw out most of the 1980s).
        i suppose all the chevron albums are utterly terrible? but i have fond memories of all those red cassette cases all over woolies for some reason!!

Comment

Some of them aren't too bad, actually - 'Tijuana Christmas' by the Luis Gome Mexican Brass (actually Pete Winslow) has some very good moments.

'The Way We Were' by Colours Green (Brian Dee & Laurie Steele) also has some interesting wah-wah guitar bits.

Most of their stuff is very very disco though!

Comment

Is BOULEVARD the same label as WINDMILL?
            God bless Fatso.

Comment

No, but they often went to the same independent producers as Windmill, so a lot of their LPs are the same.

Boulevard are descended from the 1960s cheapo label Saga.

Comment

Working...
              X