Best find of 03 (or whenever): non music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best find of 03 (or whenever): non music

I'm sure I can't be the only one of us who picks up stuff other than vinyl when out and about doing the rounds. So I thought I'd start a thread on the subject. Only criterion - no records.

Miine is a 1960s Hardy Amies gents (fake) fur coat found in a local charity on Saturday. Condition NM. It's blingtastic.
    Endless Tripe

A bright orange Philips 423 portable record player complete with batteries and some Smurf stickers in the lid!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Well, it'd be a toss up between a copy of Gene Youngblood's 'Expanded Cinema' book (published by Studio Vista in 1970) which I've been after since I had it out of a library about 15 years ago, or the book I chanced on by a Japanese photographer, Naoya Hatakeyama, called 'Underground' and full of images taken in the tunnels and sewers deep beneath Tokyo - just incredible stuff.

I'm quite partial to the Poole pottery plate I picked up for £3, too, and which now hangs on the wall. Beautiful, rich red and blue glazes in a sort of lavalamp pattern...
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (wayne @ Nov. 13 2003,15:59)]I'm quite partial to the Poole pottery plate I picked up for £3, too, and which now hangs on the wall. Beautiful, rich red and blue glazes in a sort of lavalamp pattern...
        Is it huge? Almost like a great big dish?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 12 2003,17:42)]Is it huge? Almost like a great big dish?
          About 12" diameter (shhh, don't mention   )

Dished, but not quite a dish, if that makes sense.
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Thems the ones. They used to have them at a restaurant I worked at. I love them and hate them as a result. There's loads of different designs. I think they were all limited to 100 for each design and numbered. Apparently Poole Pottery used to sell them for £250 although I'm not definite on that. I never personally checked. They're certainly worth some money and very collectable. Poole Pottery stuff is always worth grabbing if you see it about.

When did I turn into a Poole Pottery nerd?

Comment

my favourite find happened a couple of weeks ago - found a very eccentric old analogue drum machine from the '70s, sitting in the original packaging in a charity. £5!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wooly @ Nov. 13 2003,17:46)]my favourite find happened a couple of weeks ago - found a very eccentric old analogue drum machine from the '70s, sitting in the original packaging in a charity. £5!  
                word.
                Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (wooly @ Nov. 13 2003,17:46)]my favourite find happened a couple of weeks ago - found a very eccentric old analogue drum machine from the '70s, sitting in the original packaging in a charity. £5!  
                  Oooh I have one of these. It cost me about thirty quid but I don't care. I loves it. It's called a Drum Box and it's programmable which I think is quite unusual for those old rhythm box drum machines.

Anyone have any of those seven inches that they made before rhythm boxes were invented? Just a bunch of different drum tracks to play along to. Obviously they're all cha cha cha and tangos and stuff but they're still pretty usable if you're not obsessed with the idea of 4/4 funk style breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 13 2003,18:34)]Anyone have any of those seven inches that they made before rhythm boxes were invented? Just a bunch of different drum tracks to play along to. Obviously they're all cha cha cha and tangos and stuff but they're still pretty usable if you're not obsessed with the idea of 4/4 funk style breaks.
                    Yeah, I have several of the Philips 'Philacordia' series of 45s.... but I guess I'm one of those obsessed with 4/4 beats because they did nothing for me. I'm always hoping to find one with 'Modern Beat' timings (the clue to finding 4/4 beats on old dance records), but to so far to no avail.

Best non record find ? I buy loads of 60/70's ceramics at the bootsales too.... and I've picked up loads of nice stuff this year - no Poole, but loads of Beswick & Hornsea... get it while it is cheap kids.

I also collect old telephones, and although they are getting harder to find cheap, I've still picked up a couple of nice ones. My favourite one is a 70's Swiss Trub phone in a Rosewood case... still hoping to find an Ericsson 'Cobra' for cheap, but there is zero chance of that

So, best this year overall ? Two nice 70's plastic lampshades in orange and brown from a sale just around the corner from LDJB's house for £12. They look very nice indeed in the house.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

.......Swingster Jackets.........can't leave them alone............23 in 12 months..........help...........
                      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Nov. 13 2003,18:58)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 13 2003,18:34)]Anyone have any of those seven inches that they made before rhythm boxes were invented? Just a bunch of different drum tracks to play along to. Obviously they&#39;re all cha cha cha and tangos and stuff but they&#39;re still pretty usable if you&#39;re not obsessed with the idea of 4/4 funk style breaks.
                        Yeah, I have several of the Philips &#39;Philacordia&#39; series of 45s.... but I guess I&#39;m one of those obsessed with 4/4 beats because they did nothing for me. I&#39;m always hoping to find one with &#39;Modern Beat&#39; timings (the clue to finding 4/4 beats on old dance records), but to so far to no avail.
                        I&#39;ve got one of the Philips Philicorda Organs you&#39;re supposed to play along to those records with - one of my best finds ever, actually. Twenty quid (and the neighbours think Alan Hawkshaw lives next door&#33

I&#39;ve got a few of the Ad-Rhythm drum records too - that&#39;s how they started, before they did proper records with organs and tunes and that......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Nov. 13 2003,18:34)]Oooh I have one of these. It cost me about thirty quid but I don&#39;t care. I loves it. It&#39;s called a Drum Box and it&#39;s programmable which I think is quite unusual for those old rhythm box drum machines.
                          yes, this one&#39;s programmable too. but it&#39;s very much a hit and miss affair as it doesn&#39;t seem to start the program on beat 1 and if you add snares, it adds hi-hats and then you have to go round deleting them. needless to say, you can come up with some seriously mentalist patterns - very inspiring&#33;

it came at a perfect time for a track i was doing called &quot;ameublement&quot;. added a nice roger roger kind of touch.

Comment

A framed psychedelic poster by Eduardo Paolozzi from 1967 for two quid.
                            Looks fantastic.
                            derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Nov. 13 2003,19:33)].......Swingster Jackets.........can&#39;t leave them alone............23 in 12 months..........help...........
                              Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Swingster jacket?

He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Working...
                              X