Weekends finds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekends finds!

Maynard Ferguson -The ballad style of.. -Is this rare or something?

Monk Higgins -Little Mama

The Mystic Moods -Awakening

The Mystic Moods Orch -On the highway

Organ Magic -with the Dick Hyman track "Alfred, The king of disco" I really like this! Very strange track..

Two shite selected sound library records..

The Nighthawks OST

Cerrone-supernature/sweet drums 12" This must be something for the house dj's...

10 library records -sonoton/intersound -can't remember the titles...

and a sonoton catalog with all sonoton records listed.

Bit of a weird selection this weekend (isn't it always?) but not without a couple of nice 'uns:

John Dankworth & Orchestra: Movies 'n Me (RCA, 1974) [definitely one for the Lords pages, featuring all his movie gear - Modesty Blaise (with break&#33, Darling, Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment, The Servant etc - pretty good funky big band/orchestra stuff]

Millie Jackson: Caught Up (Polydor) [ace ballsy femme-soul]

Dennis Coffey: Hair & Thangs (Maverick) [no indication that it is, but this is way too minty to be anything other than a reissue...nice for a £1, though - lots of funk, breaks etc]

Latimore: More Latimore (Glades) [funky Ray Charles-ish blues LP from 1974 featuring a cover depicting Lenny Henry as Theophilus P Wildebeest...well, it looks like him, anyway]

Steve Waring: Le Chant du Monde USA (Chant du Monde) [some nice French folky flute things on here - 'The River' is a standout, and 'The Cuckoo'...copy signed by SW himself too!]

Lui Pui-Yen: Lotus Lantern (Lyrichord) [nice Chinese Classical LP]

BBC Sound Effects (No.3) (BBC) [Africa, Hovercrafts, boats...]

Jack Jones: Where Is Love? (RCA) [nice Johnny Harris style Light My Fire]

Les Menestriers: Has Tu Point Vu... (Cavalier) [medieval French folk stuff...]

'At The Signe Of The Bull' (Boston Sound Hunters) [1972 10" private press LP of a bunch of hippies playing medieval banquet stuff on rebec, sackbut, flute, cittern, tambour etc...produced by the Bull Hotel, Horncastle]

So there you go...another Saturday morning's worth!
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] ]John Dankworth & Orchestra: Movies 'n Me (RCA, 1974) [definitely one for the Lords pages, featuring all his movie gear - Modesty Blaise (with break&#33, Darling, Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment, The Servant etc - pretty good funky big band/orchestra stuff]
      Great album. Funky jazzy easy flavoured goodness. Plus that Gorillaz sample. That's a nice find. I listen to mine a lot. Gotta love 'Return From The Ashes'. I love that Millie Jackson album too. Superb stuff.

Comment

Nice finds guys... here's my little bag from the weekend.

All scooped for 50p or a pound max... and all in splendid nick...

Bob James "Two" (US CTi)
        Bob James "Three" (Jap CTi)
        Bob James "BJ4" (UK CTi)

Roy Ayres Ubiquity "Lifeline" (US Polydor '77)

Kool & The Gang "Live At The Sex Machine" (US Delite)

Blue Mink "Melting Pot" ( nowt really caught my ear on this, and I can't liten to the title track without doing an Alan Partridge impression - ah ha ! )

Booker T & Priscilla (US 2 x LP)

and a nice twelve, A Guy Called Gerald "Voodoo Ray" on Rham. That's the original release by my reckoning... ? Took me right back. Needless to say it's been going around in my head all morning...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Nov. 17 2003,12:24)]and a nice twelve, A Guy Called Gerald "Voodoo Ray" on Rham. That's the original release by my reckoning... ? Took me right back. Needless to say it's been going around in my head all morning...
          Yep, that's the original issue. Such an incredible track.. still makes hair stand on end and people dance, whoop and holler to this day. A friend of mine's work colleague used to know Gerald, and was actually driving with him when he slammed in the final version of Voodoo Ray, saying "I've finished that new track, have a listen"..

Imagine that, first dibs on hearing one of the greatest dance records of all time..
          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Cheers Vibes...

I thought it was, but just wanted to throw it open to fellow Vultures to double-check...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Strangely I just offloaded my copy of this to Selectadisc in Nottingham!

It's a great tune, no argument, I just never play it these days and it should be with someone who will get some fun from it.

Ah for those days to come back again and for me to actually say 'Yes' when offered a ride up to Spike Island, rather than neshing it.  

Benicio
              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Somewhat hungover after Saturday, I passed a school booter in Wood Green on the way to go climbing. So...

Paris In Love - Carlini's World Of Strings (SGA and shit)
                Some Indian flavoured LP - 101 Strings (way too early - no drums, no sitar, no cigar)
                Persuasive Percussion - Terry Snyder (spare)
                RCA Stereo demonstration record
                Flutes'N'Flugels - Bernard Ebbinghouse (really rather nice 'Scarborough Fair/Canticle&#39

Nothing amazing but picking up a few cheap records somehow made the weekend complete.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Looked round the Newcastle charity shops today and picked up:
                  Heartbeat of Africa - 'East African Drums' 45. I've just given this a listen and there's some great spoken word samples, it's basically this guy talking about different African drums and rhythms.  
                  Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon lp. This ain't in great condition and it's sleeveless but at 50p I'm not complaining.
                  Chic - Good Times 12". Mint copy. Noice!
                  The Brothers - 'He will be there' lp (Zanzee). I can't say I'd heard of them but there's a picture of the band on the back and they're some funky looking dudes! Anyone got any info on this? I haven't listened to it yet but it seems reasonably promising: the band includes 2 drummers and 3 bass players which is a good sign.
                  cheers,
                  Tom

Comment

tomj - is there still a (Sunday?) morning market at Tynemouth station? got some good stuff there when i was in Newcastle...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (tomj @ Nov. 17 2003,16:01)]The Brothers - 'He will be there' lp (Zanzee). I can't say I'd heard of them but there's a picture of the band on the back and they're some funky looking dudes! Anyone got any info on this? I haven't listened to it yet but it seems reasonably promising: the band includes 2 drummers and 3 bass players which is a good sign.
                      cheers,
                      Tom
                      Actually, if I remember correctly, this is mainly fairly dire happy-clappy nonsense ... except for the fantastic "Do what the lord say do" which is one of my all-time favourite songs (and if you don't like it, can I have first dibs, as my copy is a bit grotty). It ain't funk but it's an excellent dramatic string laden groove, a bit like Norman Whitfiled's longer excursions with the Tempts ... but perhaps a little bit better. Nice find, tomj.
                      It ain't shakey

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Nov. 17 2003,16:07)]tomj - is there still a (Sunday?) morning market at Tynemouth station? got some good stuff there when i was in Newcastle...
                        Sorry mate I've no idea. I quite often go up that way and look round the Whitley Bay charity shops but I'm not aware of any market at Tynemouth station. I'll definitely be on the look out for it.

Cheers for the reply Dr Kraken. Yep it's not as funky as I was hoping but there's a few nice cheesy tunes in there amongst some not so good. 'He will be there' is a great song and there's a couple of others I'm quite enjoying.

Comment

it was in the train station just where you get off the metro, either sat or sun morning. don't think i had much luck in the town itself though

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Nov. 17 2003,16:07)]tomj - is there still a (Sunday?) morning market at Tynemouth station? got some good stuff there when i was in Newcastle...
                            It's still going as far as I know on both Sat & Sun but I stopped going out there as often as I used to in last 12 months before I moved away from Newcastle as a couple of the dealers who used to go on a sunday stopped doing it so the drive out there wasn't as worth while as before, but I still picked up a few nice pieces on my trips there so its defintely worth a trip  every now & then.

If you're  in Whitley Bay then Its also well worth calling in at the book/record shop thats near the main road with most of the charity shops on it (sorry can't remember its name or the street its on, but it's not too hard to find)

Comment

Working...
                            X