Sending money (again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending money (again!)

help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

i won a couple of ebay auctions, coming from a seller in paris. it's the first time i've encountered someone who doesn't take paypal or any of the online systems. what he wants is either cash in a registered letter or a 'cash money order'.

what's a cash money order? excuse the ignorance, but i've not had to deal with one before.

and is it useful to send it "international signed for" and all that stuff? any tips on how to handle this would be great.

cheers in advance!

Can't remember if Bidpay.com do a European service or not? They're safe as houses and reasonably priced all things considered.

Cash in a registered letter is fine, you could send it by normal post if you take precautions to conceal the fact that it's cash! International Signed For is much the same as registered, some countries no longer accept the UK's form of registered post and the Signed For service seems to be phasing registered out.

It's a minefield isn't it?

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Hi Wooly,

I've been caught out a few times recently, seeing the PayPal logo on the listing and then not having the option. I sent Euros concealed in the regular mail (I always worry that sending it 'signed for' instantly flags up the letter as something interesting to the few less honest people there are around). And Matt sez that most sellers he's sent cash to have sent change for the exact amount with the records. Which is nice.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

cheers, you two.

i suppose the cash money order he's talking about is an international money order, which i can get from my bank? i was thinking that might be safer than cash but costs a few quid?

Comment

If I have to send cash I find the safest way is to send a crap 45 packaged well& include the cash in an envelope hidden in the 45 sleeve. Let the seller know your sending it like this & all should be a ok
          You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ Nov. 18 2003,19:12)]If I have to send cash I find the safest way is to send a crap 45 packaged well& include the cash in an envelope hidden in the 45 sleeve. Let the seller know your sending it like this & all should be a ok
            A spare CD case can be good for this method also..
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I always bung the money in a duff cd case too. BTW international signed for is called 'swift air' now. And some countries don't accept this - daft places like denmark or somewhere! I'm a bit of a postal nerd...
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ Nov. 18 2003,20:01)]I always bung the money in a duff cd case too. BTW international signed for is called &#39;swift air&#39; now. And some countries don&#39;t accept this - daft places like denmark or somewhere&#33; I&#39;m a bit of a postal nerd...
                I don&#39;t think it is Sermad, &#39;Swift Air&#39; was discontinued by Royal Mail a while back, replaced with the &#39;bells &amp; whistles&#39; Internation mail product &#39;Airsure&#39; - which as you say isn&#39;t available to all countries.

&#39;Internation Signed For&#39; is slightly cheaper, lacks the &#39;track and trace&#39; element of Airsure, but is available globally.

You can get insurance of up to £500 on both products for an extra quid.

I&#39;m even more of a postal nerd
                Matt Hero

Comment

By jove your right&#33; Sorry I said &#39;swift air&#39; cos Ive got a massive pile of them on my desk and they are indeed old. I&#39;m about to make my first claim for a lost &#39;international signed for&#39; parcel...wish me luck&#33;

Oh and I&#39;ll not say what got lost. It would make you all quite sick. Double
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Yeah, well we should all appreciate our air mail a lot more than we do&#33; Our postal service is fantastic in comparison to some.

Nine weeks on and my package of library LPs with green covers still hasn&#39;t turned up from the good ol&#39; US of A. I thought George might have been a good lad and brought it with him, but alas and alack.

So if Serms is feeling sick, I&#39;m seeing his sick and raising it.

Do we have a &#39;Don Logan&#39; smiley? Friday, you&#39;ll be there.

Benicio
                    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

what would i do without you lot then?

ben, boney, matt, rich, serms, vibra, uncle tom cobbly and all&#33;

looks like airsure is the way to go, from all that. and a clever use of packaging&#33; cheers everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X