Cleo laine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleo laine

I've only ever picked up one or two of her albums and never found anything I've liked but I've seen her get mentioned on the board a few times so what would people recommend? There's a big wad of her albums at a local charity shop at the minute and I'd hate to miss out on something groovy.

'Portrait' on (I think CBS) has cracking versions of 'Aquarius' (which gets nice and rocky) & 'Night Owl' - well worth a fiver of anybody's money.
    Matt Hero

Comment

"Close Up" is pretty good too if a bit more mellow - couple of Stevie Wonder tunes and bits of wah.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

The amount of poor people I know out here in Australia who have put down money on her cheesier lps after seeing John Dankworths name is astounding. But i'm glad to hear she does have some good stuff.

Comment

Cheers chaps. I'll pop back tomorrow and see what's there. As an added bonus question what's the other good Peters & Lee track? ('other' meaning not 'She's About A Mover&#39. I think Rich mentioned on the board a while back but the search feature didn't turn anything up. Cheers. I must remember to jot things down more often.

Comment

"I'm Coming Home" or "Comin' Home Baby" or whatever it's called - you know, the Harry Stoneham Hip Hop tune and done by a million other.

Comment

Sorry - bit garbled that - it was a response to Blighty's Peters & Lee question.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Nov. 20 2003,16:55)]"Comin' Home Baby"
                That's the badger. Try and get your mitts on Buddy Rich's version from 'Buddy And Soul' too.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Shall do. Cheers.

Comment

what's the earliest version? the earliest i have is Herbie Mann on 'At the Village Gate', which has the composer (Ben Tucker) on bass - is that the original then?

another good one is Kai Winding's

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Nov. 20 2003,13:07)]"Close Up" is pretty good too if a bit more mellow - couple of Stevie Wonder tunes and bits of wah.
                      Is that the one with 'I Believe (When I Fall In Love)' on it, Lee? I found a mix CD of yours at the weekend that got lost in a pile and that track is on it. And Della Reese 'It Was A Very Good Year' too.

None of the aforementioned albums were at that charity shop btw. I picked up a couple though. 'Born Of A Friday' which is kind of disco-y and horrible. Not horrible coz it's disco-y. Just horrible. The other one is 'A Beautiful Thing' which has another Stevie cover ('All In Love Is Fair&#39 which isn't anything special. Plus a cover of Donovan's 'Skip-A-Long Sam' which I'm not sure about. Kind of a 'hmmmm' track at the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Nov. 19 2003,18:48)]what's the earliest version? the earliest i have is Herbie Mann on 'At the Village Gate', which has the composer (Ben Tucker) on bass - is that the original then?

another good one is Kai Winding's
                        Always thought it was Mel Torme who did the OG ?
                        SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

no, think it was an instrumental at first, then lyrics were added afterwards - the same thing that happened with Mercy Mercy Mercy...

Comment

also, just heard that there are two different Mel Torme versions, one on 'Right Now' and one on 'Comin' Home'...

gotta catch them all!

(the lyrics were added by Bob Dorough, as in Schoolhouse Rock...)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Dec. 01 2003,10:34)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Nov. 20 2003,13:07)]"Close Up" is pretty good too if a bit more mellow - couple of Stevie Wonder tunes and bits of wah.
                              Is that the one with 'I Believe (When I Fall In Love)' on it, Lee? I found a mix CD of yours at the weekend that got lost in a pile and that track is on it. And Della Reese 'It Was A Very Good Year' too.  
                              Yes - that's where that track came from - glad you like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X