Weekend digs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend digs....

Just a little dig today, as I was supposed to be spending all day stripping the front room floor, but on the way back to the tool hire place, remembered that my local hospital radio station was having a clear out, and Caz *insisted* that we stop so I could have a quick dig. At least that's how I recall it.

It had been going since 10am, and I only got there at 14:30, so god knows what I missed out on...but anyway for my £8 I got :

Franck Pourcel Grande Orchestre - Concorde (EMI Pathe)
    Ahoy Pourcel haters, this one is a *cracker*, two very decent tracks on first listen and a lovely pic of Concorde on the sleeve to boot. Really, don't leave this one.

Johnny Howard Orchestra - The World Of (Decca)
    At last, been a long wait to find one of these, but worth it in the end.... *what* a version of '...Billy Joe' !

and the others...

Paul Mauriat Orchestra - Stereo Spectacular (Philips)
    Jack Parnell - Braziliana (MFP)
    David Snell - Harp In Harmony (BBC)
    Various - The World Of TV Themes (Decca)
    Button Down Brass - This Guys In Love (Fontana)
    Harry Stoneham - Hammond My Way (Contour)
    Elvis Presley - Easy Come, Easy Go (RCA Camden)
    Graham Walker Sound - Famous TV Themes (Saga)
    Geoff Love - Big Terror Movie Themes (MFP)
    Alan Haven - Organ Magic (Embassy)
    The Kings Singers - S/T (EMI)
    Franck Pourcel - Dancing In The Sun (EMI)

...and a few 45s (Tricky Disco, Orbital, Massive Attack) in the bag too.

Hope the weekend is seeing y'all right
    Matt Hero

nice!

I picked up a copy of 'Coliseum Live' from the local hospice shop - what a blinder! top hammond prog-ness.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Shite weather has resulted in a simple dip into HMV today - picked up the new Primal Scream 12 feat. super-leech Kate Moss - niceheavydiscoelectrogubbins and from the cheapie sales section Regular Fries Transmissions From The War Office Vol.1 - nice 'Get Carter' rip on one track, Swankenstein Wreck'em 12", Sons Of Samacand Low Down Dirty Business 12" promo, Psychedeliasmith Different Strokes (still needing their Givememyaugerback on a twelve if anyone can help.....

Oh, Hadrian Elephant, beware!  I am venturing into the heart of Suffolk tomorrow - carboots between Woolpit & Fordham will be subject to my frenzied fingering!
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Nov. 22 2003,18:19)]Shite weather has resulted in a simple dip into HMV today - picked up the new Primal Scream 12 feat. super-leech Kate Moss - niceheavydiscoelectrogubbins and from the cheapie sales section Regular Fries Transmissions From The War Office Vol.1 - nice &#39;Get Carter&#39; rip on one track, Swankenstein Wreck&#39;em 12&quot;, Sons Of Samacand Low Down Dirty Business 12&quot; promo, Psychedeliasmith Different Strokes (still needing their Givememyaugerback on a twelve if anyone can help.....

Oh, Hadrian Elephant, beware&#33; I am venturing into the heart of Suffolk tomorrow - carboots between Woolpit &amp; Fordham will be subject to my frenzied fingering&#33;
        I think you&#39;ll have a free reign mate, as I am out on the I think, so I&#39;ll probably have a tomorrow morning

Good luck&#33;
        He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Buoyed by England&#39;s triumph this morning in the rugby I set off for pastures new and found some great bits, not listened to most of them yet.

45&#39;s

Klaus Doldinger - Theme from The Boat - Not listened to this yet, probably crap.

The Fatback Band - Do the Bus Stop - Probably a little late to be really funky.

Ultrafunk - Kung Fu Man -

Hot Blood - Soul Dracula

Funky - Funky Stop - Canadian single on Mecano, anyone know it??

John Dankworth - Telford&#39;s Change - Great headnodding groove - Double

Bohannon - Bohannon&#39;s Beat

Bataan - The Bottle - cool latin version of Gil Scott Heron&#39;s classic

Tom Scott - Gotcha Theme from Starsky and Hutch - Not seen one of these before, any info Ed?

LP&#39;s

Bonnie Dobson - S/T - I Got Stung is a great folk funk track with Sitar - Double

The Flambeaux Steelband - S/T - Their version of Evil Ways is great.

Dutch Rhythm Steel and Show Band - Soul Steel and Show - Best Steel album by far imo. Down by the River, Feelin&#39; Alright, Funky Stuff

Peddlers - Street Corner Stuff - Not seen this one before

Keith Emerson - Night Hawks Soundtrack

Zappatta Schmidt - S/T - Been looking for one of these for ages (I know Sermad&#39;s got one&#33, really pleased to find it for next to nothing.

Andre Brasseur - The Best of 2 - Loads of Euro funky bits - Double

Kool and the Gang - Music is the Message - Classic Funk LP

Lloyd Ryan - Pulse of Time Part 1 Rock Drumming - Instructional lp for drums, versions of 2001, etc

KPM - Metropolis - Great Sweeny style funk throughout - Double

KPM - The Hunter - Tons for your sampler, funky. - Double.

Kool and the gang - Best of - Yelow cover comp of all the early stuff.

Various - A Drop of the Hard Stuff - Compliation of tracks from the Ember label.

McKenna, Mendelson Mainline - Stink - No idea about this, just looked interesting.

The Sandie Shaw Supplement - The one with the Gold metal bikini, nice funky brassy versions of tuness of the day. - Double

Janet Jackson - S/T - Ed played this at Brillo ages ago when he was going through his 80&#39;s stage

Seventh Wave - Things to Come - ?

Laurie Bogin - The Exceptional - ??

John Gregory - Gregory Conducts - Found 3 of these in the last 3 weeks.

Geoff Love - Big Terror + Close encounters - Doubles

Simon Park - Eye Level

12 Tops - One with Aint no Sunshine - Double

Love Unlimited - Under the influence of

Finished&#33;

Comment

made my way to the Cattle Market despite rain&#39;n&#39;rugby, but a bit thin today. Even so, picked up a VERY nice 4-track BP/Shell EP of Themes From Fuel For The Seventies; it&#39;s credited to Shand Pictures Productions, comes in a pic sleeve featuring molecules, and the tracks are Line Up/Villa del Sol/Green Cheese/Giostra, all with songwriting credit FDH/Kevin. God only knows who&#39;s behind this, but it&#39;s damned good whoever it is. Anyone know??

A couple of other nice bits, too:

Edwards Hand: Stranded (RCA) [Revolution&#39;s Death Man and The Strife Is O&#39;er The Battle Done are full-on moog/psych mayhem - with Clem Cattini on drums]
            Sly &amp; The Family Stone: Fresh (CBS)
            Isaac Hayes: Tough Guys OST (Enterprise)
            Dudley Moore Trio: The Other Side Of... (Decca)
            Nu Yorica comp (Souljazz)
            Marcia Hines: Live Across Australia (Miracle) [dbl]
            World Of Twist: She&#39;s A Rainbow (Fluke Remixes) (Circa 12inch)
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Grey Lynn Festival finds:

Auger, Driscoll, Trinity - Best Of (my third Best Of for these guys with a different track listing yet again - nice to have &quot;Indian Rope Man&quot; now)

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (minting up...)

Black Sabbath - Vol 4

Peters and Lee (the one with She&#39;s About A Mover on it - saw it mentioned recently, but personally I think it sucks - I&#39;ve been spoiled by Roy Head&#39;s version probably)

Some Dutch 2LP compilation that appears to be utterly dreadful from a cursory listen.

J-Live - Satisfied? 12&quot;

Don Cunninham - Something for Everyone (marked down re-ish...)

Nice to see some records there amongst the tapa cloth and chintzy garden ornaments this year... couldn&#39;t find a cockney immigrant to sell me a decent ten dollar pair of sunglasses though, a great Grey Lynn tradition is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (formigo @ Nov. 23 2003,02:49)]Grey Lynn Festival finds:

Peters and Lee (the one with She&#39;s About A Mover on it - saw it mentioned recently, but personally I think it sucks - I&#39;ve been spoiled by Roy Head&#39;s version probably)
                Glad to see you come around

as for me:

- Marvin Gaye &quot;MPG&quot; (Tamla) - Sealed. Not hard funk, but damn his is some seriously nice music
                -Gus Poole &quot;Soul Revolution&quot; (Novasonic) - A hammond organ piece that gets pretty churchlike, but has 2 hot ta&#39; deff tracks, one of which has drums for days&#33;
                -Charlie Earland &quot;Black Drops&quot; (Presitge) - 60&#39;s press
                -Ivan &quot;Boogaloo Joe&quot; Jones &quot;Right on&#33; Brother&quot; (prestige) - 60&#39;s press trade/doubles
                --Ivan &quot;Boogaloo Joe&quot; Jones &quot;Right on&#33; Brother&quot; (prestige) - 70&#39;s press, you may have guessed it, this is on the trades list too
                -Undisputed Truth &quot;Smokin&#39;&quot; (Whitfield)
                -Pharcyde &quot;Bizarre Ride Instrumentals&quot; (Delicious Vinyl)
                -Sam Lazar &quot;Space Flight&quot; (Argo) - Nice bop Jazz featuring a young Grant Green on guitar
                -Phil Ranelin &quot;Love Dream&quot; (Rebirth)
                -Pharoah Sanders &quot;Love In Us All&quot; (Impulse)
                -JB&#39;s &quot;It&#39;s not the Express (It&#39;s the JB&#39;s Monorail)&quot; (People) - finally got the last JB&#39;s I needed
                -Doug E Fresh/ MC Ricky D &quot;La Di Da Di&quot; / &quot;The Show&quot; (Reality) - trade/doubles

and the schlock find of the week:
                Bobby Caldwell &quot;Do For Love&quot; (Cloud) - a red vinyl 45 from the cat in the hat thats shaped like a heart . The label has a message from some girl to her boyfriend dated from &#39;81. Had a picture sleeve and a 0.25 price tag so I had to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]Peddlers - Street Corner Stuff - Not seen this one before
                  There&#39;s a nice break in the middle of &#39;Uncle Funk&#39;.

Comment

Freezing bloody cold up here in t&#39;north, managed to drag myself out of bed and down to the indoor booter first thing this morning...

Spent the grand sum of 80 new pence, came back with (apart from blue fingers and snot-on-tap...) the following...

Gene Chandler &quot;Live On Stage&quot; (Action LP)

Apollo &quot;Astro Disco&quot; (Motown 12&quot - sounds a bit cheesy, but there are some nice breaks and instru&#39;s on the flip

Rudy Love &quot;Disco Queen&quot; (Calla 12&quot

Diane Hildebrand &quot;Early Morning Blues And Greens&quot; (Elecktra LP) ... got this on in the background now, all floaty folk and flutes... hmmm... not sure...

There&#39;s a market at 1pm this afto, might go give it a try ( if it warms up any&#33; )

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

[QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Nov. 23 2003,09:14)]
                      Originally posted by formigo,Nov. 23 2003,02:49
                      Grey Lynn Festival finds:
                      Bobby Caldwell &quot;Do For Love&quot; (Cloud) - a red vinyl 45 from the cat in the hat thats shaped like a heart . The label has a message from some girl to her boyfriend dated from &#39;81. Had a picture sleeve and a 0.25 price tag so I had to pick it up.
                      That aint shlock mate, it&#39;s a nice find&#33;

It was released as a limited edition 10&quot; on Valentines Day. Not many pressed I think, bit of a collectors piece.

Bung it on the bay and it&#39;ll earn you a fair bit of buntz if the right people pick up on it.

I like the &#39;b&#39; side too - Love Won&#39;t Wait, a nice soul dancer.
                      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Nov. 23 2003,12:42)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Nov. 23 2003,09:14)]
                        Bobby Caldwell &quot;Do For Love&quot; (Cloud)
                        That aint shlock mate, it&#39;s a nice find&#33;

It was released as a limited edition 10&quot; on Valentines Day. Not many pressed I think, bit of a collectors piece.

Bung it on the bay and it&#39;ll earn you a fair bit of buntz if the right people pick up on it.

I like the &#39;b&#39; side too - Love Won&#39;t Wait, a nice soul dancer.
                        Thanks for the info. Wow, I seriously only picked it up because I thought it was funny. The bobby Caldwell LP is pretty much a dollar bin find out here, and I just figuered that this couldn&#39;t be worth much more. It looks like it may be time to play the Ebay game, unless someone here wants to make a trade?      

Comment

No booters (too bloody cold&#33 but the m/cr record fair - usually very hit n miss - did turn out to be a bit of a hit :

45&#39;s
                          ? - We&#39;ve Got Pepsi. We&#39;ve Got Life (Pepsi Cola 60&#39;s jingles single with Radio Luxembourg on it&#33; Cheesy funky piano n gospel goodness)
                          John Barry - Theme From Persuaders / The Girl With The Sun In Her Hair
                          Theme from The New Avengers / The Professionals - Laurie Johnson (great pic sleeve&#33

LP&#39;s
                          Brooke Benton - Do Your Own Thing - Atlantic (pure dross)
                          5th Dimension - The Fantastic... Liberty (great, &quot;California Soul&quot;, amongst others)
                          Nancy Sinatra - Nancy - Reprise (&quot;Light My Fire&quot; plus others, always a sucker for a spot of Nancy, but who isn&#39;t?)
                          Man - The Golden Hour of.. Golden Hour (best of collection, produced by John Schroeder, includes &quot;Exotica&quot; but a great LP all round - thanks for the tip-off Chris&#33
                          Pierre Bachelet - Emmanuelle OST - Barclay (oo-err..nuff said)
                          Elektrik Cokernut - Smash Hits Moog Style - MFP (dodgy moog stuff)
                          A Group Called Smith - S/T - Dunhill (funky rock covers as used by Votel recently..?)
                          Roosevelt Johnson &amp; His Spice Islanders - Hello&#33; - Swirl (drawn to this as it&#39;s a Jamaican issue - only one good track, tho&#39
                          Various - TV&#39;s Greatest Hits 70&#39;s &amp; 80&#39;s Vol III - Silva Screen (invaluable&#33; The A-Team, Sesame Street, Baretta, Streets of San Fransisco, etc, etc)
                          The New Sound Crusaders Steel Band - S/T - Chapter One (dodgy steel band covers, including a great version of &quot;Israelite&quot
                          Lloyd Price - Now&#33; - Major Minor (Bad Conditions &amp; Light My Fire, pretty funky)
                          Various - Nu Yorica Roots&#33; - Soul Jazz (fantastic collection)

12&quot;&#39;s
                          J5 - Concrete Schoolyard - Huzzah&#33; Been after this awhile on 12&quot;
                          Blondie - Rapture - classic..
                          A Man Called Adam - APB - Acid Jazz - much funkier than I remember, heavy on the percussion and hammond, picked up to trade but i might keep this now
                          Love Corporation - Give Me Some Love - heavy Andy Weatherall business from 1990
                          plus various disco / early house 12&quot;s (Everything Bamboo, Let&#39;s Get Brutal, Jack The Groove, etc, etc)

Best thing is the vast majority were rescued from the £1.00 bins...a good haul

Comment

All I got this weekend was an evil hangover&#33; Thanks to John Stapleton and Jazzman Gerald for keeping me boozing till about 4am. Nice to meet you again john. Great set(s).
                            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Finally went to one of those record fairs haveing not been to them in ages after previous very disappointing collections of stuff from the usual shops in Dublin.

Anyway I came out 120 euros lighter but with the following:
                              Dion - Martin, Abraham &amp; John (Ace reissue - amazing easy version of Purple Haze - it shouldn&#39;t work but does)
                              Fifth Dimension - Live
                              Fifth Dimension - The Age Of Aquarius
                              Laura Nyro - Not A New Discovery
                              Lord Buckley - Blowing His Mind And Yours
                              Misty In Roots - Live At The Counter Eurovision
                              Music From Easy Rider And Che (covers of soudntrack stuff, can&#39;t remember the artist)
                              Naked Prey
                              Nancy Sinatra &amp;#8211; Double comp
                              Nancy Sinatra &amp; Lee Hazelwood - Nancy And Lee
                              Petula Clark - I Couldn&#39;t Live Without Your Love (Bang Bang &amp; Rain as discussed previously)
                              Primates -
                              Replacements - All Shook Down
                              Shamen - En Tact
                              The Artistics - What Happened
                              The Beyond Vs Jim Thirlwell - remix 12&amp;#8221;
                              The Four Tops - I Can&amp;#8217;t Help Myself
                              Todd Rundgren - Something Anything
                              Utopia - Todd Rundgren&#39;s Utopia
                              V/A - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Go&#33;: Countdown Compilation

And endless amusement at what other people will buy (I am sure the feeling is mutual) - at one point I was going through a 1 Euro each box and 2 guys were anxiously waiting for me to finish. So I took a quick look in case I&#39;d missed something good but wasn&#39;t seeing it. So while I am paying for the 4 Tops and Thirlwell 12&quot; I see their releived faces as they get their hands on the Christians 12&quot; single I had passed over.
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X