Shell/bp promo 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell/bp promo 45

Picked up this 45 EP at the weekend, on a Shell/BP label, from Shand Pictures Productions (Shand 100) which is three loungey instros credited to writing team of FDH/Kevin ('Line Up', 'Villa del Sol', 'Green Cheese&#39 & 'Giostra' (credited to writing team of FDH/CP213). They seem to be from the soundtrack of a "A Shell Mex and BP Gases Film", according to the label. Sounds like it's very late 60s, which would support the evidence of the title (which implies a 'Fuel of the future' type promo clip) but the question is, does anybody have any idea who was behind these tracks - very much in the 'Saturday Night Suit'/Amphonic style to my ears, but no info whatsoever on the sleeve (which is blank on the reverse, and inscrutable on the front). Great stuff, but it's driving me nuts trying to work out what I'm listening to...

It looks like this, and it's well worth picking up, anyway:
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

My only guess is that FDH refers to the Francis, Day and Hunter music publishers/library, who were taken over by KPM. I think their library was still going up until the mid/late 60s. Who Kevin is, I have no idea, though!

CP213 could be a matrix number - unfortunately I can't find my one and only FDH record to check whether they used that format, but if it turns up I'll report back!

Comment

Well, if Lord Thames is stumped I'm guessing I'll just have to listen & enjoy without worrying who it might be! FDH/Francis Day Hunter makes a lot of sense, though, and the CP213 could well be what you say: didn't occur to me that where the songwriting credits usually go might be catalogue references to library material or such-like (either that, or the effete gold robot's dad was busy composing library gear before the family got hooked up with George Lucas in the mid-70s). Who knows?
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Well, if anyone besides me was still wondering, a certain Mr Wooly has come up with an answer to my original question - the 'Line Up', 'Villa del Sol' and 'Giostra' tracks on this are all apparently identical to tracks on Vic Flick's 'West Of Windward' Rediffusion LP, apart from the titles, so presumably the other cut, 'Green Cheese', is from the same Rediffusion library catalogue, but probably under a different title.

Nice to put a conclusion on a thread like this...Next question is - where can I find more Vic Flick at an affordable price?

Comment

And there's a cheese reference, so not going off the weeks' topic, honestly!

Comment

manfred mann did a really nice one-sided promo 45 for Michelin in about 69 too, well worth a punt.
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wayne @ Dec. 17 2003,15:41)]Well, if anyone besides me was still wondering, a certain Mr Wooly has come up with an answer to my original question - the 'Line Up', 'Villa del Sol' and 'Giostra' tracks on this are all apparently identical to tracks on Vic Flick's 'West Of Windward' Rediffusion LP, apart from the titles, so presumably the other cut, 'Green Cheese', is from the same Rediffusion library catalogue, but probably under a different title.
                And furthermore, I believe Vic did an LP for the Francis, Day and Hunter library, which could well be the original source for these tracks - it ties in with the reference to FDH on the label.

So that's probably where 'Green Cheese' came from too.

I'd love to find a copy of the Manfred Mann Michelin 45, and I'll add to the list the 'Ski Full Of Fitness' theme by Mann and Mike Hugg.

And keeping with the motoring theme, anyone got the Johnny Harris Texaco flexi?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Dec. 17 2003,17:00)]I'd love to find a copy of the Manfred Mann Michelin 45, and I'll add to the list the 'Ski Full Of Fitness' theme by Mann and Mike Hugg.
                  Sorry if I got this mixed up, but do you want a Ski Full Of Fitness?

If so I will gladly trade mine...
                  He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

My bad writing, unfortunately - I've already got one, but it's right knackered so, depending on what you want, I might be interested!

Comment

Working...
                    X