Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushroom

One for the Bristolians out there.

Other day me and a friend were reminiscing about our Uni days and nights out we had and we got particularly misty-eyed about seeing Massive Attack just as they'd released 'Protection'. They did a great gig, supported by Talvin Singh and the night was rounded off by a cool set from DJ Mushroom.

Just wondered if anyone knew what he's been up to since leaving the band? Alright, he wasn't exactly Jazzy Jeff on the decks, but he always had good tunes - remember their Essential Mix on Radio1. That was a great era for Essential Mixes, I used to have Massive Attack's, Portishead's, Gilles P's and more, but you lend stuff out at Uni and....misery.

Anyway, I digress. If anyone knows whether the lad's done anything else or if he's retired to a small farm or whatever, I'd be interested.

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

So far as I know Mushroom has not made a squeak since leaving - never spotted any of his promised productions or re-mixes and I'm fairly sure he's not involved with Nocturne (the bar on Unity Street) either. What is it that ex-musos do these days now that fish farming is no longer in fashion? Blue Lines and Protection are still awesome albums.

Comment

On the subject of absent Bristolians, where's Mr Hopkinson these days? His last post said something like "I'm off to play in Russia next week - hope we don't fall foul of the mafia out there...". Which was ages ago. Yikes!

So come on if you're out there - was it or was it all a bit ?
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Nov. 27 2003,10:50)]That was a great era for Essential Mixes, I used to have Massive Attack's, Portishead's, Gilles P's and more
        too right. that portishead mix massively influenced what i was (and am) buying, and took ages to find some of the records off it (strung out for example). highly, highly recommended. good times!
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (wayne @ Nov. 27 2003,12:18)]On the subject of absent Bristolians, where's Mr Hopkinson these days? His last post said something like "I'm off to play in Russia next week - hope we don't fall foul of the mafia out there...". Which was ages ago. Yikes!

So come on if you're out there - was it       or was it all a bit   ?
          He was lurking the other day so he's still alive.

Comment

He DJed at our club in Glasgow about 5 years ago and was one of the most obnoxious individuals I have ever come across in my 15 years of DJing.

Just had to get that out my system...
            There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ Nov. 27 2003,23:12)]He DJed at our club in Glasgow about 5 years ago and was one of the most obnoxious individuals I have ever come across in my 15 years of DJing.

Just had to get that out my system...
              what, mr. hopkinson?
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (theeman @ Nov. 27 2003,13:20)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Nov. 27 2003,10:50)]That was a great era for Essential Mixes, I used to have Massive Attack's, Portishead's, Gilles P's and more
                too right. that portishead mix massively influenced what i was (and am) buying, and took ages to find some of the records off it (strung out for example). highly, highly recommended. good times!
                that mix influenced me a lot too - i used to take the track-listing from that and Jazzmans Geralds "Trippy Funk" tape to record fairs and see if i could find any of them. Being a penniless student though, when i did find them i couldnt afford them

Comment

Hello, yes, I've been away but I'm back lurking again! Russia was great, some   and some   and lots of   but not so much   tho I picked up a Marius Popp, plenty of ru.electronica on those little shiny discs ( black market cds are like 80p each ), and weird stuff like russia aerobic and childrens records that keep me happy.  

Space films went down a treat, with Cyrillic subtitles. And back on topic, a curious Mushroom pulled up in his car when I was unloading some space suits a while back ( he's mates with my next door neighbour ) . . . apparently he's been working on a solo album for 4 years or something . . .

p.s. sorry for being so obnoxious that time, Mr Divine!
                  Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Glad to see you back, Mr H - and not weighed down with old Phil Collins LPs at the bottom of the Baltic because one of your mixes displeased the local 'legitimate businessmen'...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                    X