Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The microbop ensemble

what's this 45 all about ??

I take it you mean the Groovy Baby / Your Turn now 45 which has one side credited to the Microbop Ensemble and the Other To Microbe.

Groovy Baby is fairly nasty 60s sounding pop syrup in which girl vocals sing about the groovy baby and the object of their affections replies with an array of gurgles and baby talk

Your Turn now is an instrumental with missing bars which a child is supposed to fill in. It has smooth Casey Casen-style narration and a pretty tasty break, and is a pretty good bit of funky lounge pop niceness except for the annoying gaps. (somebody on this board used bits of it in a mix with lots of scratching ... identify yourself)

I haven't heard anything else about it, so what leads to your enquiry?
    It ain't shakey

Comment

I've been after that since LDJB played me it a while back.... and annoyingly it has never turned up for me.

Just thought I'd share that.
      Matt Hero

Comment

Matt - I'm pretty sure I've got one of these somewhere that I picked up with a load of CBS promos years ago. It might take a while, but if I can find it, it's yours.
        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Nov. 28 2003,09:59)]I haven't heard anything else about it, so what leads to your enquiry?
          thanks,

I've found a copy in a belgian flea market yesterday I played it...
          some baby shouting suck it to me? ....
          It's quite weird and funky sounding in some parts and chessy in others...
          your right it's a shame about the silent gaps.... on your turn now.
          Is there anything else they did ?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ](somebody on this board used bits of it in a mix with lots of scratching ... identify yourself)
            That wasn't me but I did attempt a mix dropping breaks in the gaps

Professor Plastic had a copy of this in a nice pic sleeve - I was most jealous!
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Nov. 28 2003,10:40)]Matt - I'm pretty sure I've got one of these somewhere that I picked up with a load of CBS promos years ago. It might take a while, but if I can find it, it's yours.
              if it turns up John that would be great
              Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Nov. 28 2003,09:59)]I take it you mean the Groovy Baby / Your Turn now 45 which has one side credited to the Microbop Ensemble and the Other To Microbe.

Groovy Baby is fairly nasty 60s sounding pop syrup in which girl vocals sing about the groovy baby and the object of their affections replies with an array of gurgles and baby talk

Your Turn now is an instrumental with missing bars which a child is supposed to fill in. It has smooth Casey Casen-style narration and a pretty tasty break, and is a pretty good bit of funky lounge pop niceness except for the annoying gaps. (somebody on this board used bits of it in a mix with lots of scratching ... identify yourself)

I haven't heard anything else about it, so what leads to your enquiry?
                Could've been my Cheeba's Voodoo Funk Party mix from last xmas that sermad put up. I used the "Are You Ready" / "OK here we go" vocal bits over the top of Toossaint McCall's "Shimmy". Not sure about lots of scratches though - just dodgy cutting...

Comment

This 45 originates from the early days of Radio 1, when DJ Dave Cash used to feature pre-recorded interjections from a young child known as 'Microbe' - such as 'Groovy Baby', and 'I Dig The Beakles'.

These proved popular enough among the listening public for the inevitable cash-in disc: hence this thread.

Microbe was in fact Ian Doody, the son of BBC announcer Pat Doody.

Any composer/producer credits?

Comment

Blimey Lord T. Is there no end to your knowledge? Not that any of this ever comes up in pub quizzes, mind.

As for the lyrics, I think/hope it's "sock it to me baby", on the other hand, when the girls sing "I wanna take you home" it has to mean either David Blunkett-style child abduction or something even less acceptable.
                    It ain't shakey

Comment

Hi Matt

I found the copy I had - send me your address and it's yours. Comes complete with CBS info sheet as well...
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Dec. 19 2003,11:06)]Hi Matt

I found the copy I had - send me your address and it's yours. Comes complete with CBS info sheet as well...
                        PM on the way John. Thanks !
                        Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 19 2003,11:07)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Dec. 19 2003,11:06)]Hi Matt

PM on the way John. Thanks !
                          mind posting the info sheet matt ?
                          thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (pokester @ Dec. 19 2003,15:25)]mind posting the info sheet matt ?
                            Will scan and post as soon as I have it.
                            Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                            X