Fixing a mixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a mixer

So yeah, my friend has a Numark D3002X that works perfectly apart from a terrible hum... similar to what you get if your turntables aren't earthed properly (but that ain't it).

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

(No, it's not MY mixer, it's my friend's - I've got a ratty old Behringer DX100 that's worked perfectly for years now...)

You 100% its the mixer? It might be the contacts between the cartridge and the turntable arm. Popping them off and giving it a lick seems to sort most stuff out!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Dec. 02 2003,10:16)]Popping them off and giving it a lick seems to sort most stuff out&#33;
      F&#39;nar.
      Matt Hero

Comment

ROFL Where&#39;s Mr Hopkinson? We need a Sid James smilie.

On one of my turntables I get a slight click or popping sound after I&#39;ve lifted the needed off the record. Anyone know what that is? The cartridge is a little loose and I&#39;m guessing it&#39;s that but the nerd in me wants to know the technical reason why. I need a nerd smilie too.

Comment

How old are your needles/carts? I&#39;m in the school of replacing your needles every six months. I would do it more if I could afford it.

Comment

I&#39;m glad to know I&#39;m not the only one who replaces their stylus that often. I replace them as soon as they start to sound noticably worn which is roughly once every six months. They&#39;re definitely in need of a change now. I hate it when the sound quality starts to drop.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Dec. 02 2003,11:35)]I&#39;m glad to know I&#39;m not the only one who replaces their stylus that often. I replace them as soon as they start to sound noticably worn which is roughly once every six months. They&#39;re definitely in need of a change now. I hate it when the sound quality starts to drop.
              How soon should the cartridges be replaced - Ive had my Ortofons for a few years with new styluses every so often. To my ears they sound OK - any &quot;rules&quot; on this aspect ?

Comment

Well I spoke to wooly about him replacing his needles and I recommended ortofon pro&#39;s. They are £50 a pop but extra needles are half that. Most needles seem to have a 20-20k frequency response but the pro&#39;s have 18-20k which is nice.

I think he said something about numarks but I don&#39;t know which ones.

Mr cheeba. AFAIK you don&#39;t need every replace your cartridges unless you want to do a hardcore upgrade or the needle you want to buy won&#39;t fit.

Comment

hello chaps,
                  i&#39;m ordering new needles and carts today, on account of serms ticking me off for skimping on them in the past. recently i bought some stanton replacements (not good ones either&#33 and found the distortion to be terrible, so i&#39;m going to get some good ones.

some quite similar in price and spec to the ortofons serms mentioned there are the numark cc-1, which i&#39;m going to go for. meant to be very good all rounders.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Dec. 02 2003,12:01)]How soon should the cartridges be replaced - Ive had my Ortofons for a few years with new styluses every so often.  To my ears they sound OK - any &quot;rules&quot; on this aspect ?
                    you know that syndrome whereby middle aged men change cars every 6 months, I&#39;ve had that but with cartridges &#33;&#33; I went stantons, ortofons, grado&#39;s and now have shure m447s which are the bizzness

looking to forward to NOT buying nay cart&#39;s for a while

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Dec. 02 2003,10:16)]You 100% its the mixer? It might be the contacts between the cartridge and the turntable arm. Popping them off and giving it a lick seems to sort most stuff out&#33;
                      Absolutely sure... have been trying it out on my own rig, the problem doesn&#39;t exist with my mixer on the same turnies and amp. Have tried different power cables as well.

At a guess I&#39;d say something has sprung loose in the internals, which probably means it needs a professional service. I&#39;d like to fix it myself on the cheap though &#39;cos then I get to use it. Woo.

Needles - switch when you treble gets a bit hissy and you find they&#39;re ploughing up the grooves on your new vinyl.
                      Which in my experience amounts to about 6 months for a standard quality needle or perhaps 8 or 9 months for a more expensive needle.

(Can&#39;t remember the model names but I get about 6 months use out of the basic blue Stanton needles and half again out of the translucent yellow ones - difference between them is about NZ&#036;30)

Comment

Working...
                      X