The spook who sat by the door new lp release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The spook who sat by the door new lp release

Let's hope it's a bit better than the full black belt jones lp release.

""The soundtrack does a good job of including background noises, sound effects, and snippets of dialogue from the film --""
    Reading from the dustygroove site it looks like it's music from the tapes used in the movie, hence bad quality ..

Any thoughts?

salchicha!

I heard Kirk DeGiorgio drop a seriously rare acetate of the tune from this score on his inspired Kiss FM show several years ago and then some time later heard it once more in Intoxica records and was immediately reminded of Herbie's Chameleon. I am told it features loads of lovely electronic Jazz which generally pricks up my ears, but thinking of the tune, I recall it as pretty much straight-ahead type ish.

Still, I guess I'll drag my ears down to Intoxica to have a listen. I only know Sony had the o.g tapes and being that this is it's first authentic release, I'd guess nobody here has much info on this one.

Certainly, Ed has nowt down on his lovely site and that's saying quite a lot!
    I was raised by wolves

Comment

acetate? might it have been the flexi disc that came with some 70s US keyboard mag? several people on various lists (Crates etc) seemed to have that one

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Dec. 02 2003,16:06)]acetate? might it have been the flexi disc that came with some 70s US keyboard mag? several people on various lists (Crates etc) seemed to have that one
        .....that's it, he had to weigh down the cartridge with lead or something!!!
        I was raised by wolves

Comment

100 quid says it's a dodgy issue.

the flexi is a re-recording of the main theme. there are rumours of a promo-only theme 45 that was sent to a small number of record shops and immediately withdrawn in the LA area when the movie was banned.

the main theme came out on Herbie's Thrust LP - it's the first track (has a different title on Thrust)

great film by the way...
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ Dec. 01 2003,16:55)]I heard Kirk DeGiorgio drop a seriously rare acetate of the tune from this score on his inspired Kiss FM show several years ago
            Kirk DeGiorgio was involved in a comp called 'Soul Of Science' a few years back that had this on...

Just looked & Amazon are stocking it on vinyl, too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....4801248

The comp is legit, anyway, as far as I can tell!
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (theeman @ Dec. 02 2003,18:01)]100 quid says it's a dodgy issue.

the flexi is a re-recording of the main theme. there are rumours of a promo-only theme 45 that was sent to a small number of record shops and immediately withdrawn in the LA area when the movie was banned.

the main theme came out on Herbie's Thrust LP - it's the first track (has a different title on Thrust)

great film by the way...
              Why was it banned?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Dec. 02 2003,16:06)]acetate? might it have been the flexi disc that came with some 70s US keyboard mag? several people on various lists (Crates etc) seemed to have that one
                Downbeat magazine, an advert thing "Herbie Hancock demonstrate the Rhodes keyboard"
                salchicha!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (formigo @ Dec. 03 2003,02:50)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (theeman @ Dec. 02 2003,18:01)]100 quid says it's a dodgy issue.

great film by the way...
                  Why was it banned?
                  watch it and find out!

seriously though - it's brilliant. based on the novel of the same name, it's about a black CIA agent who uses his CIA knowledge to train up a private black militant group to take over the USA. the end of the movie is gripping! brilliant performances, a really intense, gritty feel to the whole production, and of course superb music. so many breaks - the nearest thing the USA gets to Hanged Man/Drama Suites.
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

It's released on dvd too, probably a crap vhs transfer ..

salchicha!

Comment

Doesnt that poster art just make you wanna go ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Wicked slice of proper Blax gear, no mistake! I am now convinced I should go out and hear this as I was totally under the impression that it was pretty much straight ahead gear but.....it's Herbie I guess.

His Deathwish score is, to my humble ears, one of the most underated pieces of modern Jazz recorded [by the man]. This score has everything: full on straight ahead moments, deep, disturbing almost Argento-esque fragements but what most impresses me is the proto techno sequence where the sound becomes looped and is reversed to create a woozy, dreamlike pattern which is astonishing! Sheer brilliance and sooooooo polished, its untrue.

Superb score
                      I was raised by wolves

Comment

This soundtrack was NEVER released or issued if you prefer that word

I seriously doubt it's a "reissue" because for starters
                        it would have had to be ISSUED in
                        the 1st place to be a REISSUE. Understand
                        issue vs reissue, released vs re-released ?

I am sure whomever did this, did it exactly the same
                        way CARNIVAL OF SOULS was done, which was also
                        never issued as a soundtrack

Whomever did COS, just dubbed it directly onto CD
                        FROM THE DVD Film

COS sounded like crap too

I do however, have a real radio spot from The Spook Who Sat By The Door and it's a goodie

I also have Radio Spots of an uncredited Ken Nordine doing the spots for the film, THE TRIP.

IT IS SICK !

JD

Comment

I've just received my copy from dustygroove today and the only advise I could give is : don't buy it !
                          It sounds like a videotape, simply awful... I'm sure Herbie wouldn't agree with such an issue.
                          The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
                          Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Jack, apparently there WAS a soundtrack limited to about 200 copies and this was given out at the premiere of the movie. I hear these go for over a grand, and are one of the holy grails of OST collecting.

The sound on this is pretty ropey, apart from 2 tracks which I presume are from that Soul of Science comp. Maybe the fact it's been booted will persuade Sony that they might want to issue the full soundtrack. Then again, probably not...

I was trying to contact Mr Degiorgio to persuade him to do this, but his excellent site doesn't have a contact. Or I'm just being a spazz...
                            There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Mr. Divine, good luck with trying to motivate Kirk into this as he wasnt intending to get involved with the issuing of this score as far as I understood. I'm not sure about his website, but he does, however, trade on eBay and can be reached thru the contact-a-seller system. His user is degiorgio.

Sony have been aware of the significance of this score for some time now and as yet have resisted from an official release, or should that be rejected it as a viably profitable idea?
                              I was raised by wolves

Comment

Working...
                              X