The medical mission sisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The medical mission sisters

i got a bizzare record today. it's called "in love" by the medical mission sisters. dating from what looks like the late 60s / early 70s, there is a scary track on it called "don't be afraid". i am not kidding when i tell you it's got some very tight funky backing on that tune. in fact, it sounds like the 'sisters' are singing one track and the session bods are playing another, in places.

another of the tracks has a nice bossa feel, which is a bonus.

the whole thing has a slightly sinister edge - you may already know of this one, but it was new to me. well worth tracking down for pence, for that one track.

avant garde records, 'avs-132'.

Sounds interesting. I actually recently did a set of "christian psych" though since I ended up having two hours rather than just an hour to fill I did have to scrape the barrell with a few cheats and severeal selections from some of the better lps. But lots of "get high on jesus" fun was had.

On a related note IIRC Ted Taylor Organisation did Hymns A Swinging, I seem to have a football record by the Ted Taylor Chorus - any relation that anyone knows of?
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Dec. 05 2003,10:14)]On a related note IIRC Ted Taylor Organisation did Hymns A Swinging, I seem to have a football record by the Ted Taylor Chorus - any relation that anyone knows of?
      Same bloke as far as I know, there is at least one more Ted Taylor LP on Davjon too that I have, nice but no 'Hymns...' I'm afraid.

I too have the football LP, and it is a dog. A nice dog, but a dog all the same.

Come along Lord Thames, I'm sure you can add a bit more here !
      Matt Hero

Comment

Would that other Davjon Ted Taylor LP be 'In A Midnight Mood' by any chance? I've got that one, and jolly nice it is too.

Going by the sleevenotes of that LP it says Ted started out as a lab technician, but became a musician and had a success with a track called 'M1' (which came out on Oriole - did John Schroeder have anything to do with it, I wonder?)

What the notes don't mention is that Ted is probably best known for being the musical associate on the Benny Hill Show (with Ronnie Aldrich conducting the band). He also did some ballroom dancing EPs for one of the official examination boards.

I've not got 'Hymns A Swinging' (unsurprisingly), but I do have Alan Moorhouse's 'Hymns Tijuana Style', which is brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Dec. 05 2003,11:34)]Going by the sleevenotes of that LP it says Ted started out as a lab technician, but became a musician
          See Rich, it is possible !
          Matt Hero

Comment

I thought I picked up this one at lunchtime but its another one by the same gang - called "joy is like rain" - its AVS 101 so I assume its an earlier one.

I also got the pat boone concept album "come together" which is another religious one - few big dings on it but its been recomended to me.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Dec. 05 2003,16:08)]I thought I picked up this one at lunchtime but its another one by the same gang - called "joy is like rain" - its AVS 101 so I assume its an earlier one.

I also got the pat boone concept album "come together" which is another religious one - few big dings on it but its been recomended to me.
              Speaking of religious Lp's, anyone know one called Lilly on Dove records UK?

I don't know it but my mate gave me a link to a site today and they are trying to flog it for £200!

Apparently there is a tune on there called 'staring at the wall' which is a good funk thing....
              He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

whilst we're on the subject...

anyone know larry normans stuff? any good?

was rather disappointed to find one of my old vinyl haunts had been taken over by a sh1te rock dealer (only noticed when I got inside and wondered why there were suddenly an abundance of marilyn manson t-shirts), but i found an album called "streams of white light" which had pyhith and prince of peace. worth a fiver?

Comment

just bumping this up again as i'm curious to know if i should bother going back for this record (see above)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Going by the sleevenotes of that LP it says Ted started out as a lab technician, but became a musician...

See Rich, it is possible !
                    Chris mate - keep practicing - it appears that it's just a slight twist from nerdy chemist to beatmeister !

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Working...
                    X