Short film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short film

I was watching dutch tv this weekend and saw this little film with paul "dennis" kaye.... as a Northern Soul dj
    anyone else ever seen it I mist a bit?

im not sure, but is that the film of the washed up, 50 something radio Dj, that goes to the states to find some soul band from back in the day, ends up building some club in an old warehouse type building for the band to come and play, "id had a few "ahem" steinies that night so my memory is a bit cloudy".(couple of years ago now)
    anyway, whats the name of the movie???, function at the junction, you reckon???
    aotearoa - land of the long white cloud

Comment

http://www.constellation-change.co.u...n_junction.htm

looks like a different film, koha...

Comment

Not entirely related, but there was a BBC production starring Lenny Henry called I think 'Coast To Coast' which was shown many years ago, where he was a Northern DJ driving about in an Ice Cream van.

No, I did not dream this one.
        Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 10 2003,11:39)]Not entirely related, but there was a BBC production starring Lenny Henry called I think 'Coast To Coast' which was shown many years ago, where he was a Northern DJ driving about in an Ice Cream van.

http://www.guerilla-films.com/coast_to_coast.htm

that would explain why...
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (theeman @ Dec. 10 2003,12:08)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 10 2003,11:39)]Not entirely related, but there was a BBC production starring Lenny Henry called I think 'Coast To Coast' which was shown many years ago, where he was a Northern DJ driving about in an Ice Cream van.

Shame, although in many ways it's best not to watch these things that you remember as being great.... as many years later they turn out to be rather less than the works you remember them as being.

Shame the BBC have never repeated it though.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Dec. 10 2003,11:29)]http://www.constellation-change.co.u...n_junction.htm

looks like a different film, koha...
              yes that's the one !

Thanks for the link

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 10 2003,12:12)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (theeman @ Dec. 10 2003,12:08)]
                Originally posted by [b

Shame, although in many ways it's best not to watch these things that you remember as being great.... as many years later they turn out to be rather less than the works you remember them as being.

Shame the BBC have never repeated it though.
                For some reason I really loved that Coast to Coast film when I was a young 'un. Unfortunately, the sands of time have been about as friendly to it as they have been to Monkey Magic (which I just can't watch these days). I am pretty sure that still have a copy on VHS and if anyone wants a borrow then they're more than welcome. Just please don't take this as a recommendation. I last watched it about three years ago and this is all I can say:

-Pakistan:Parkstone
                -Cheese rolls scene in pub mildly amusing (is it Bryan Glover, can't remember)
                -Desperate plot ('the plates&#39
                -Must be great fun to drive round the country in an old ice cream van full of records
                -Lenny Henry stars with the bloke that next turned up as Lex Luther in Superman (the one that used to be on BBC2 a few years back)

WF (AKA the knowledge dropper)      

Comment

I remember that 'Coast To Coast' one, too - not unlike the Martin Clunes 'Stranded' one, in that it's basically an attempt to do a UK road movie. Not wholly successful as I remember, but one of those 'entertaining enough while it lasts' sort of TV films.

The one that REALLY does my head in is my girlfriend's constant (ie: at least weekly) references to film called 'The Weekenders' with Vic Reeves & Bob Mortimer (from the days when they were still consistently funny) which I've not only never seen, I've never even heard anyone else refer to it. So did she make this one up? And if not, was it half as good as she reckons??

And as for dreaming things up, that happens to me a lot. Dream I've found an amazing book/record/object and a week later start racking my brains (while awake) about where it might've been put. And I have a VERY vivid memory of a TV show, where an old woman was sleeping in a deckchair out in the front garden and got taken away with the rubbish by mistake...which could't possibly have been really made, could it??
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]The one that REALLY does my head in is my girlfriend's constant (ie: at least weekly) references to film called 'The Weekenders' with Vic Reeves & Bob Mortimer (from the days when they were still consistently funny) which I've not only never seen, I've never even heard anyone else refer to it. So did she make this one up? And if not, was it half as good as she reckons??
                    She ain't lying. Sadly, this was the Phantom Menace of comedy.

You watched it as a big fan, hoping the new departure would be as funny as you knew it could be, you didn't laugh, you didn't get it, but afterwards you're trying to console yourself about the time wasted but as the months elapse, you can look back and say 'Dogshit'.

And it was.

Only bit I can remember now was R & M (and I still find Vic extremely funny, especially that one in 'Bang Bang...' when he got buggered by a monkey) trying to buy some meat of a very cumbersome-looking Phil Oakey.

I've made an effort to forget the rest of the whole sorry enterprise.

Benicio
                    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Somewhere, on a TV dubbed VHS I have 'The Weekenders' - I think it was part of a whole night of Vic & Bob presented TV, highlight of which was Mike Leigh's 'Nuts In May'.

'The Weekenders' was, as Ben suggests, dogshite.
                      Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 09 2003,21:08)]Somewhere, on a TV dubbed VHS I have 'The Weekenders' - I think it was part of a whole night of Vic & Bob presented TV, highlight of which was Mike Leigh's 'Nuts In May'.

'The Weekenders' was, as Ben suggests, dogshite.
                        Hmmm. Either the missus is wearing rose-coloured spectacles when she remembers watching it, or a certain Dr. Ugs must have been present (and not as an independent observer) when she actually did. Honestly, the number of times I've heard tell of the limitless hilarity of 'Electric Russell' and such-like...

Having said that, I'd love to see the little b/w Harry Hill 'Fruit Fancies' shorts again. Those I definitely recall as near-genius.
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                        X