Sindy Meets The Dollybeats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sindy Meets The Dollybeats

I had a brief dig this afternoon and my local record shop (mainly a rock'n'roll shop) was having a clear out of 45s @ 50p per pop. Out of all the odds and ends I picked up this charming little 45....

'Sindy Meets The Dollybeats' / 'Sindy - Cliff Warwick & the Dollybeats'.

...the tale of how Sindy managed to sneak in to watch a soundcheck by her favourite beat group on one side (and now it isn't one of those 'no blow....' deals !). The other side is a very groovy little track by said group about Sindy, very heavy on the hammond and none the worse for it.

(Nb: For our overseas friends, Sindy was the UK answer to Barbie. More Jane Asher than Cali girl).

Any ideas who 'Cliff Warwick & the Dollybeats' really were ?

(Edited by Matt Hero at 4:13 pm on Mar. 14, 2003)
    Matt Hero

I've got this, also an action man 7". I keep them in the box next to each other in the hope that they will mate - no joy yet.
    Endless Tripe

Comment

On the subject of this stuff, does anyone happen to know offhand how rare/pricey the original Josie & The Pussycats album is these days? Or if there's a reissue around??

Hope the Sindy track rocks, btw: my girlfriend is still pissed off that they Barbied her up when she could've taken Barbie any day of the week... And Action Man, she reckons. In a fight situation...
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Sindy always seemed to have a head too large for her body. Barbie on the other hand would, given her 'statistics', suffered serious back damage by now, so in a straight scrap I'd back Sindy everytime. Just knee her in the back. Job done.

As for Action Man, I don't know whether I'd approve of a Sindy vs Action Man face off, but I reckon that my 70's period Action Man with his cool scar and moulded genitals could easily have the wanky pseudo pretenders to the Action Man throne today. While drinking a Party Six in the other hand. He always struck me the kind of bloke who would have glassed you in an Aldershot pub for no reason whatsoever. Because he could.

Oh, the Sindy track does rock in a 60s pop with hammond and 'la,la,la' vocal chorus kind of a way.

I think I need some sleep.
        Matt Hero

Comment

the OG Josie and Pussycats is a rare one, seen it around the 150+ mark a couple of times.
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Thought as much - figured it'd be like the Banana Splits -a kid's record (so most copies not looked after that well), some tasty session pop-soul, the recent profile-boost of the movie... looks like it'll be the Rhino CD issue, then, if nobody's done a vinyl version...

And Matt, fair dos to your psychotic Aldershot Action Man. My girlfriend was talking specifically about her younger brother's, which wasn't in peak condition, having had the elastic holding it together loosened so it couldn't stand up: must've been all those Party Sevens. Think he might've been the bearded version, too, & he always looked a bit of a wimp next to the one with the scarred bare chops...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Sindy record

I used to have this. Was given it aged nine and loved it; later used to play it for years (decades) to friends, always provoking much hilarity, then in some house move or another it vanished. I am still word-perfect on both sides and would love to own it again. Was looking for it on eBay/other when I came across your thread. Let me know if you're selling. If not, hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
              Deborah

Comment

I've got a copy of this now, and it's great in a cheesy sixties pop fashion - though still no idea who Cliff Warwick & The Dollybeats actually were - did anyone ever uncover this nugget of knowledge along the way?

It's not that rare or expensive a 45, seen quite a few about over the years since this thread ended (2003! Crikey) so pretty sure somebody might be able to hook you up with a copy - you could try posting a request in the Wants thread...

Comment

Originally posted by theeman View Post
                  the OG Josie and Pussycats is a rare one, seen it around the 150+ mark a couple of times.
                  It's Patrice Holloway or someone, isn't it?

I've got a Barbie one from the 80s that appears to be by the great Barbara Lewis.
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah View Post
                    I used to have this. Was given it aged nine and loved it; later used to play it for years (decades) to friends, always provoking much hilarity, then in some house move or another it vanished. I am still word-perfect on both sides and would love to own it again. Was looking for it on eBay/other when I came across your thread. Let me know if you're selling. If not, hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
                    Deborah
                    Check back later Deborah, Im confident some kind soul here will upload it as an MP3 for you to download.
                    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan View Post
                      I've got a Barbie one from the 80s that appears to be by the great Barbara Lewis.
                      Those 80s Barbie albums are pretty cool, the Birthday one is a bit syrupy but Country Favourites and Keep Fit are great. There's a nice 7" from the late 70s too, Rappin' In Rhythm. I might listen to them RIGHT NOW.
                      www.twitter.com/SeasonsTheyChge
                      www.myspace.com/SeasonsTheyChange

Comment

I picked up the sindy 45 a while ago. Pretty fun record, although mine is a little trashed :-(

I'd totally forgotten about it actually. May have to dig it out for an airing.
                        "Jumping cues and making haste just ain't my cup of meat"

www.alexd.co.uk

Comment

Hello Deborah - I've got a copy that was destined for the local charity shop. It's not in great condition (no picture sleeve for a start off), but if you'd care to pm me I'll send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero View Post
                            (Nb: For our overseas friends, Sindy was the UK answer to Barbie. More Jane Asher than Cali girl).

In Sweden both were marketed. I remember girls at my school constantly fighting over who was cooler - Barbie or Sindy.

The boys fought over what was coolest - synth (represented primarily by Howard Jones from 1984 onward, can't remember what was before him) or metal (represented primarily by first Kiss, then Twisted Sister and finally W.A.S.P because they eat raw flesh and drink blood, you know)
                            "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                            and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

I was going to include on my (now sadly aborted) disco swap CD a Sindy promo 45 by The Video Kids, which I really liked - I'd get laughed out of Studio 54 if I tried to play it there, but it was a nicely produced and arranged bit of exploito session work. John MacLeod and Tat Meager were responsible, and the label threatens a whole LP which I now need to find!

Comment

Working...
                              X