Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Hero
    replied
    I'm a little concerned that Col hasn't had anything to say in this cheese thread. Col? You haven't fallen out of the Stannah on the way up the stairs again mate?!?

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Dec. 15 2003,10:33)]But then again I thought calling Brillo Nerdfest would also be perfect... But now there's evidence that some of us nerds are beginning to freely admit to the fact!
    My wife calls it Spod-U-Like. The cow.

Leave a comment:

• theeman
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Dec. 12 2003,16:06)]we're very keen on fondue in this household. although we've used vacherin in other dishes, never put it in fondue. what's a good vacherin to gruyere ratio? in fact, if you've got a good recipe generally, spill the beans!
    once again Vinyl Vulture starts the trends! scroll down about half way and see what's top of the Xmas best-sellers...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3320429.stm

Leave a comment:

• theeman
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Dec. 15 2003,11:18)]Yemsky, as Mike and Bill already guessed correctly, the restaurant is St. Moritz (Wardour Street?). Near to Tottenham Court Road tube. It passed the approval of a Swiss friend of mine so I'm guessing it's not too bad...
    one of the funniest restaurant experiences round there is Topo Gigio's on Brewer St. it's authentically stuck in the 70s, from the decor (copper pan sets anyone?) to the waiters' garb (bright red woollen tank top for you sir&#33 and the food (old school indeed, served with massive, thick Italian reds).

very funny and highly recommended, just for the experience

Leave a comment:

• theeman
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ Dec. 12 2003,18:31)]If you really want to indulge and have a taste for power-cheese, you simply cannot beat Roquefort.
    seconded. there's an amazing French sausage that you can get from really good french deli's that has pieces of roquefort in it. lovely!

i'm also a bit partial to Pont L'Eveque (a lovely mellow older version of the young imposter Camembert) and another, harder cheese from Normandy that's washed with apple juice, the name of which i've forgotten - anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (theeman @ Dec. 12 2003,16:49)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Dec. 12 2003,16:06)]I've had Jools Holland and Mark Thomas
    honestly, there's no need to brag about those celeb swinger parties. it's starting to sound like the inside Tracy Emin's tent in here.
    Nah, I think he means 'I've had Jools Holland and Mark Thomas in the back of my cab'. We all know Bill can't possibly afford his ghetto fabulous lifestyle from international DJing alone and I reckon he supplements his income by driving a minicab...

Yemsky, as Mike and Bill already guessed correctly, the restaurant is St. Moritz (Wardour Street?). Near to Tottenham Court Road tube. It passed the approval of a Swiss friend of mine so I'm guessing it's not too bad...

Leave a comment:

• Nick Cope
    replied
    Matt is the new Mil Millington, who once had the only column in The Guardian's Weekend magazine worth looking at. I hereby nominate Matt to handle the Brillo monthly mailout - since the theme is generally the same, all he has to do is write about his latest exposure to the real world view of collecting records through anecdotes of various conversations with his girlfriend. I think it would be perfect!

But then again I thought calling Brillo Nerdfest would also be perfect... But now there's evidence that some of us nerds are beginning to freely admit to the fact!

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Dec. 14 2003,23:11)]might the fondue one be St Moritz on Wardour St?

and Chelmsford is Deepfunk Central these days...
    (don't go to the charity shops though, leave them for me when i visit the parents&#33
    That sounds like the one. The older among you will also remember St. Moritz as an early venue in the new romantic days. I think the first Blitz was there (my memory's failing me as to exact details...)

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    might the fondue one be St Moritz on Wardour St?

and Chelmsford is Deepfunk Central these days...
    (don't go to the charity shops though, leave them for me when i visit the parents&#33

Leave a comment:

• Yemsky
    replied
    Matt Hero's conversation is very similar to those, I have frequently with my wife...  

Hey, Rich Hero, can you tell me the name of the "fun fondue restaurant somewhere parallel to Berwick street" in London, please. My wife and I will be in Chelmsford and London over Christmas and that might be a good excuse to escape the in-laws.... But then, she always says "I don't like melted cheese on my food". Hmmm.  

As for Neal's Yard. That is a good source for cheese in London. Being in America, I always feel like I have to save up for cheese and only allow myself a treat every now and then. It's so expensive here since all good cheeses are imports. Any American who disagrees, please educate me whether there is ANY edible cheese Made In USA.

Oh, and without wanting to mix up this cheese thread with the Sausage thread a few weeks ago: There is a good article called "In search of the good" in this weeks's Economist.
    It's not available for free on the web, unfortunately, so you might want to pick up a copy at your news agent.

Leave a comment:

• Palmer_Eldrich
    replied
    yeah yeah I'll get my coat!

Leave a comment:

• Nick Cope
    replied
    You just said that cos you've got a posh girlfriend, Jon!

Somerfield cheddar on toast with cracked pepper and chilli dipping sauce on top, with just a hint of HP blended in!

Wonder what kind of cheese this kid called Miles likes...

oh, and Jon, does that cheese preference come in boxes of seven variations? Maybe you should ask your soul brother...!

Leave a comment:

• Palmer_Eldrich
    replied
    I have to say Manchego, slightly melted with a little quince paste is my fave cheese experience...

I'm off to the deli now

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian Elephant
    replied
    How can you talk cheese when there is important news from the sausage world?!

"Powters Celebrated Newmarket Sausage was recently voted 'Britain's Best Sausage' at the industry awards held at London's Park Lane Hotel.

Managing Director Grant Powter collected the award from Commonwealth swimming gold medalist Sharon Davies at a glittering dinner attended by top industry and retail personalities. After the awards Grant commented:

'Winning a major national award endorses what our customers already recognise as our hallmark: no compromise on quality. I am doubly proud because these sausages came from normal daily production batches made by our dedicated team every day of the week, every week of the year. It is also a worthy accolade to the skill of the previous three generations of my family.' "

Just don't ask for the ingredients as they are

newmarketbangeringredientsrare

Leave a comment:

• eclipsechaser
    replied
    cottage cheese lp

or some cheese with chocoltate ?

chocoltate cheese

Leave a comment:

Working...
X