Finger Lickin\' Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger Lickin\' Good

Anyone noticed the new KFC ads? While Maccy D's are making some lame attempt to move upmarket and claw back their lost custom with a new, ahem, deli style (?!?) menu, KFC are using Frank Wilson's 'Do I Love You' in their latest campaign. And I'm still trying to workout if that's Flashback in Angel in another ad. Beats the Colonel breaking...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

might be - would be the outside only though, with the red stand with some crates on

also, what's the track in the other ad?

Comment

As reported on Deepfunk - KFC have licensed the Majestic's "Funky Chick" off Jazzman's Texas Funk comp.

(sounds like a supa heavy hammond version of JB/Marva Whitney "I Made A Mistake&quot

Comment

With the numbers of funk tracks referencing 'chicken' one way or another I'm kind of amazed their agencies haven't hit on this already...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I remember discussing this with someone a while back that the ultimate funk 45 track name had to be something along the lines of 'Popcorn Chicken Strut (Pt II)' - which of course would be right up their street !
          Matt Hero

Comment

No, I mean 'Beefy Cheeseburger Shake' just doesn't do it, does it?

And what was wrong with 'Popcorn Chicken Strut (Part I)', then? Ah, I know - there were more than 12 known copies of that one...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

</span>
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wayne on 11:25 pm on Mar. 12, 2003

And what was wrong with 'Popcorn Chicken Strut (Part I)', then? Ah, I know - there were more than 12 known copies of that one...
              <span =''>

Nah, Pt.2 is pure, uncut funk - the bomb! Pt.1 has been tampered with added water and pork proteins.. hmmm it's late you know. :smile:
              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

</span>
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wayne on 11:25 pm on Mar. 12, 2003
                <span =''>

12 ! 12 ? You'll be lucky. They only came pressed on cardboard inside packets of 'Funky Monkeys Mallow'n'Grits Breakfast Treats' packets - which were only in 2 stores in North Carolina. For a week. In 1967.

So many were lost to mallow damage, it makes me want to cry
                Matt Hero

Comment

aha, but did you know there was also a Tibetan pressing that only came out on a double A-side with a Yeti hide cover? only 1 known copy, and it's in a Buddhist monastery somewhere in the Himalayas.

i hear western people with goatee beards and one-shoulder rucksacks go to pray to it. sounds like a Texas Funk gig to me...
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

mallow damage.. hehe :biggrin:

Comment

Back to ads... Much as Comic Relief gives me indigestion I have to admit that the idea of Tim Westwood bumping the Grumbleweeds in his 4X4 (see the rehashed Radio 1 ad) amused me no end.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

</span>
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Rich Hero on 2:13 pm on Mar. 14, 2003
                        Back to ads... Much as Comic Relief gives me indigestion I have to admit that the idea of Tim Westwood bumping the Grumbleweeds in his 4X4 (see the rehashed Radio 1 ad) amused me no end.
                        <span =''>

I was pissing me sides at that! Fabio kicking Tongy off the decks to drop The Birdy Song etc.. now that's what I call quite funny!

Actually I'm seriously considering rocking a few 'novelty' tunes in my set here at The Art Room tonight - Miker G &amp; DJ Sven anyone??!!

(Edited by vibra at 2:49 pm on Mar. 14, 2003)

Comment

Thought this might be of interest.

I took this from the Soul 24-7 board and it was posted by Dawn from the excellent Soulboys website
                          <a href="http://www.soulboys.co.uk/

She" target="_blank">http://www.soulboys.co.uk/

She</a> was one of the dancers in the KFC advert.....

I think the version she means is the Mr Floods Party one.

&quot;The only comments that I want to make
                          regarding the KFC ad, The track that I spent
                          2 days dancing to whilst shooting the ad was
                          actually the Northern or should I say 60's
                          version of &quot;Compared to what&quot; {can't
                          remember the artists name right now) but was
                          written by les McCann, and I had only ever
                          heard Roberta Flacks version.......so next time
                          you see the ad take a closer look. Not only
                          was the footage slowed down, but could have
                          been dubbed over better so at least we look
                          like we are dancing to that track.

I think the reason that &quot;Compared to what&quot;
                          was not used for the final cut, was because of
                          the lyrics.......but hey what do I know, all I can
                          say is it was the easiest £240 I ever made.

I can tell you that the from my casting the
                          director, and casting directors, knew nothing
                          about the british soul scene, but they do
                          acknowledge the fact that SOUL is cool, but
                          remember they are ad people trying to sell the
                          KFC lifestyle through soul music.

BTW all chicken consumed in the ad was cold
                          and had been handled for 2 days before
                          eating shots were filmed...............LOL I had a
                          lucky escape !&quot;

(Edited by Hadrian Elephant at 2:06 am on Mar. 17, 2003)
                          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

more on the comic relief theme, celebrity university challenge included in the music round, a question asking to identify the players on Eminems 'my name is', Angus informed them and the British public of the mighty Chas n Dave's involvement and the secret truly was out
                            working together for better bass and treble

Comment

Working...
                            X