Todays digs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays digs

Not had a chance to listen to any of this yet.

12"

Sus Band - Hawkwind Dub / Owen Gray - Sexual Healing - anyone know anyhting about this Pama 12"?

Newcleus - Jam on It

Worlds Famous Supreme Team - 6 track party ep

LP's

Meco - Encounters of Every Kind
    The New Dimension Orch - In Search of Far Horizons
    Boss and the Conch Shells - From the Islands (funky??)
    Quinclasm - S/T - This looks really promising, small private press I reckon.
    Dennis King - All in Love is Fair
    Caterinha Valente + Edmundo Ross - Nothing But Aces - Not seen this Phase 4 lp before.
    Malcolm Lockyer - Tp TV Themes - Hanged Man - Double
    Nova Sampler - Great selection of tracks from Deram by Egg, etc. No sleeve unfortunately - Double
    Southern Freez - S/T - UK Jazz Funk
    John Barry - Great Movie Sounds of
    Blue Mink - A Time of Change - Double
    Blue Mink - Best of - Double
    Phil Woods - Live from Montreaux
    Danny Toan - Big Foot - I was attracted by the musicians on this, john Lee, Jerry Brown and Joachim Kuhn, sounds good!
    Jackson 5 - Lookin through the Window
    Jackson 5 - Get ti Together
    Andre Ceccarelli - S/T - Find of the day, French lp from famous drummer

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Dec. 13 2003,16:50)]John Barry - Great Movie Sounds of
    I found this in a charity shop this week for pence. At first I was a bit excited, given the obvious heavyweight name, but a couple of (brief) skips through have yet to reveal anything funky.

Maybe lots of other people thought the same and are having a John Barry clearout..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (vinylism @ Dec. 14 2003,00:43)]
      Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Dec. 13 2003,16:50)]John Barry - Great Movie Sounds of
      I found this in a charity shop this week for pence.  At first I was a bit excited, given the obvious heavyweight name, but a couple of (brief) skips through have yet to reveal anything funky.

Maybe lots of other people thought the same and are having a John Barry clearout..
      Is John Barry ever funky?

He composed some great themes, but I can't say I've ever heard anything funky out of him. Maybe that dodgy disco track on "The Deep"...

Comment

True enough, funky probably isn't the right word, although he has produced some splendid sample moments in his time.

The album does contain a lot of material that I wasn't familiar with, tho', which was why i thought at first it was a nice find -still is, really.

Comment

I'd agree with Formigo on this and say you're probably approaching it from the wrong angle.

It's like finding a Nick Drake LP and being disappointed because there was nothing funky on there.

It still is a nice find. It's a great play all the way through LP - for me anyway. Good to do the household chores, make breakfast to, whilst pretending you are Harry Palmer of course.
          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

I always thought John Barry's "Theme from the Persuaders" LP had some retty funky moments, granted he's no James Brown but therre are some nice funky lounge songs on there.

Comment

For taught atmospheres, Barry's yer man but the funk?...not really, as pointed out, the man is a theme writer. End of.
              derelicts of dialect

Comment

yup, points taken, warrants a more attentive listen on my part. definitely a "keeper" though either way.

Comment

'Great Movie Sounds Of John Barry' is from '66 so it's a little early for the funk anyway. The Ipcress File is a bit of a stunner though. I love all that stuff that Portishead aped so well. I think the Game Of Death soundtrack has something kind of funky on it. I watched it pretty recently and I can recall groovy theme music or something. Pretty typical Bruce Lee theme music though I think. Nothing special but definitely funky.

I always thought he had funky elements to his music without actually being funky. I guess that's why Portishead managed to borrow a lot from him but still keep it sounding fresh. There's definitely a lot of John Barry stuff that's ripe for sampling still.

Comment

danny toan's a session guitarist (apparently has really long fingers&#33. his solo stuff is a little bland, but still good mellow fusiony jazz-rock with a little funk. some brilliant players on his albums, you're right - well worth a cheap punt, like John Tropea's albums.
                    http://www.blaxploitation.com
                    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I spotted a previously unseen charity shop round the corner from my work today. Nice and out of town meant that all vinyl was 25p rather than the £1 that they charge in the big smoke. I got:

Golden Avatar - Change of Heart LP(having baulked at paying £5 for it in an Oxfam Music store)
                      Roy Budd - Lead On/Tijuana Piano 45

I don't know much about the Budd one as I no little about his work outside of the Fear is the Key and Diamonds OSTs of which I've the reissues. This 45 has Advance Promo Copy and Not For Sale printed all over the label. Does anyone know if it's any good?

I'd normally wait until I got home but I'm needle-less at the moment so I'm a few days away from having a listen.

Ta

WF

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Willy Fogg @ Dec. 15 2003,13:14)]Roy Budd - Lead On/Tijuana Piano 45
                        I 'should' know what that's like, since I have the LP, but all I ever play from it is 'Pavane'. I'll have to give it a spin tonight. It's very much from his piano period rather than what you'll be familiar with from 'Fear Is The Key' and 'Diamonds' but 'Pavane' rattles along at a fair old pace and Roy's playing is very jazzy. I like it and for 25p I reckon that 45 you've picked up is a good punt. Whereas £5 for Golden Avatar???

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

£5 from a charity! Thats got to be an oxfam?

If your in the big smoke willy then come along to the Fresh Brillo nights at the salmon and compass. Search the archives here to read up about it.
                          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

It was £5 at the Oxfam Music shop in Ealing a few months back. I&#39;m glad that I left it there now although it only lasted a few days before someone bought it. 25p is much more my territory.

Those Oxfam Music stores do have some strange pricing. Seemed to be £2 minimum or £4 minimum for anything with a gatefold cover. Beatles LPs start at £20 irrespective of condition.

Thanks Sermad, I&#39;ll definitely be ing in the future.

WF

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Dec. 14 2003,21:41)]&#39;Great Movie Sounds Of John Barry&#39; is from &#39;66 so it&#39;s a little early for the funk anyway. The Ipcress File is a bit of a stunner though. I love all that stuff that Portishead aped so well. I think the Game Of Death soundtrack has something kind of funky on it. I watched it pretty recently and I can recall groovy theme music or something. Pretty typical Bruce Lee theme music though I think. Nothing special but definitely funky.

I always thought he had funky elements to his music without actually being funky. I guess that&#39;s why Portishead managed to borrow a lot from him but still keep it sounding fresh. There&#39;s definitely a lot of John Barry stuff that&#39;s ripe for sampling still.
                              john barry did do one half-decent funky record, but it only came out in Japan (except for a lame bootleg in the mid-90s over here). it&#39;s from a Mia Farrow flick from about 1970, called &#39;Follow Me&#39;. there are two weird fuzzy funky rock tracks on it. not a million miles away from Klute, although (IMHO) done with a little less finesse.
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X