Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diggin in bournemouth

...and surrounding areas

Anyone got any reccomendations other than Avid?
    www.myspace.com/usofaudio
    www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
    www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Hello you.

There are some 'up the hill'. I don't what that particular hill is called, nor the names of the shops, but there were at least two record shops and a couple of charities too. Nothing amazing, but worth a pocketful of fifty pees.

Check with Mark Cursa on the MoWax board, cos he's in Bournemouth and took me round a few places ... Although I'm sure a few more folk on here will have some ideas ... John??
    FunkyDown
    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Avid is one of the ones on 'the hill'. The other is 'Triangle Records'. There's one on the other side of Bournemouth on the Old Christchurch Road. I think it's called 'Strictly Beats'. I've lived in the Bournemouth/Poole area for most of my life so I should know but I'm usless with names of shops/pubs/restaurants. I never notice what they're called.

Comment

last time I was there Avid was pretty crap - far better were two small-ish shops in Boscombe, a little bus ride to the East of the town centre. Better charities too. If you find the secondhand shop with way too many record sleeves jammed in the racks, try and blag a look at the rack behind the counter (records end-on) - that's where the best stuff was when I was there (Power Pack, Rotary Connection and a couple of other bits...) Can't remember the names though, sorry...
        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Avid is generally the best place to get records from. They usually have some nice stuff and their prices are pretty good. The shops in Boscombe are are Rhythm and Snu-Peas. Loads of charity shops and a couple of junk shops there too. I should be down that way tomorrow actually so I'll try not to steal all the good records.

Comment

I don't know whether you have access to a car, but within 20 mins of Bournemouth, there are a large numbers of charity shops in Ringwood and in the towns within The Forest, which have on occasion produced the odd nice bit. There is also a huge car boot sale at Matchams (nr Ringwood) which I think runs all year long on a Sunday.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Thats great! Thanks everyone (alright Si&#33. I'll actually be staying in the New Forest this Christmas and I hadn't even considered digging there! So are there some good places for charity shops around there?

I've got a car so getting around isn't a problem...

Comment

Well, perodically I do a little tour of the Forest (Hythe, Lymington, Lyndhurst, Ringwood, Totton even) and it can, like all charity runs, be a little bit hit and miss. Those places I think have something like 30 shops between them.

Mind you, I'll be watching the BBC Traffic Cameras and if you get too near Southampton I'll be out there to man the roadblocks. Mine mine mine
                Matt Hero

Comment

is Weasles still around in St Mary's St??

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (united states of audio @ Dec. 16 2003,13:18)]is Weasles still around in St Mary's St??
                    No, he moved to Shirley High Street a couple of years ago, and doesn't really stock very much vinyl anymore, mainly CDs, Videos and DVDs. The 45 racks are worth a dig through if you can be bothered.

On Old Northam Road (at the top of St Mary's Street ie the other end from the church) there is a half decent place stocking vinyl run by a couple of chatty blokes. if you can get to the boxes under the racks, there is always a couple of nice bits tucked away, and the stuff Peter has in his room opposite seems to have plenty of decent jazz (if that's your thing).

Charity wise, Shirley High Street is always worth a dig, I live just off of it so it gets done by me ever week or so. Bitterne, Woolston & Portswood are worth a visist as there are plenty of charity shops there, as is Eastleigh - if you can stand more than a few minutes in that shitehole.

Have fun....
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Cheers Matt, very helpful, it's been a few years since I lived down that way.

Do you ever check out the Oxfam record and book shop in Winchester? Its a pretty good place for digging and I've turned up a few nice finds there. Reccomended.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (united states of audio @ Dec. 16 2003,16:34)]Do you ever check out the Oxfam record and book shop in Winchester? Its a pretty good place for digging and I've turned up a few nice finds there. Reccomended.
                        On the rare occasions that I go to Winchester I do pop in, and as you say I've always scored a few bits in there.
                        Matt Hero

Comment

Are we talking a hella lotta records here? Are they typical Oxfam prices?

Comment

there seems to be less these days and the prices vary. I think Oxfam employ people who know a bit about records these days as certain branches are asking silly prices (for charity shops anyway&#33

Comment

Yeah. I much discussed topic on these boards. I'm saying no more on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X